Speed Awareness course - out of time???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HiWas stopped back in mid april by a traffic officer with a speed gun, for reportedly going about 54mph in a 40mph zone. After some discussion he offered me the opportunity to attend a speed awareness course. He indicated that if i chose not to attend i could be refered back to court in the normal way. I was not issued with any ticket or paperwork on the day of the offence and i did not sign anything.Now at the end of June, two and a half months later, i have recieved a letter asking me if i wish to attend the course or go to court proceedings. Still no NIP included. Are the Police within all their correct timescales. I had thought originally that as i hadn't heard within 14 days the matter had been dropped.Thanks for any advice.Squashboy

You've been offered a course as an alternative to a fixed penalty or prosecution. Since you presumably don't deny breaking the speed limit by 14mph, I'd book yourself onto the next available course and get it done before the time limit runs out and you get dealt with by more traditional means. Others will know more about NIPs but I'm afraid they don't drop anything within 14 days!

• Haha 1

The fact that they hadn't contacted me for 2.5 months, i thought that they had run out of time and i'd got away with it. Perhaps i'll book myself in for the course. Cheers

No written NIP is required, within 14 days or otherwise, if you were stopped at the time and warned that you might be prosecuted for speeding. Road Traffic Offenders Act section 1

(1)Subject to section 2 of this Act, a person shall not be convicted of an offence to which this section applies unless—

(a)he was warned at the time the offence was committed that the question of prosecuting him for some one or other of the offences to which this section applies would be taken into consideration, or

(b)within fourteen days of the commission of the offence a summons (or, in Scotland, a complaint) for the offence was served on him, or

©within fourteen days of the commission of the offence a notice of the intended prosecution specifying the nature of the alleged offence and the time and place where it is alleged to have been committed, was—

(i)in the case of an offence under section 28 or 29 of the M1Road Traffic Act 1988 (cycling offences), served on him,

(ii)in the case of any other offence, served on him or on the person, if any, registered as the keeper of the vehicle at the time of the commission of the offence.