style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

without going into details, the why and how etc due circumstances within and without of my control I have recently returned to the UK after living in Dubai for several years.

I have left behind Mortgage debt, loan and credit card debt as a last resort, anyone who knows about Dubai will understand why.

What are the legalities with regard to recovery?

I understand if I return to the UAE I'll be jailed until the debt is cleared but if I don't can any debt incurred in UAE be recovered in UK?

I'm looking for advice only, please don't judge as I understand my circumstances to be far from unique.

Comments and advice is appreciated,

thanks

What are the legalities with regard to recovery?
If they know where you are they can ask politely & that's about it. They would need to seek the permission of a UK court to be able to apply for a judgment & you can contest it on the grounds that a UK court does not have jurisdiction & there are no reciprocal agreements between the UK & Dubai.

If they know where you are they can ask politely & that's about it. They would need to seek the permission of a UK court to be able to apply for a judgment & you can contest it on the grounds that a UK court does not have jurisdiction & there are no reciprocal agreements between the UK & Dubai.

thanks, appreciated, thought as much

Just don't go anywhere near Dubai. I read a very sinister article on how the State of Dubai deals with debtors. They appear to be totally on the side of the creditors and look upon debtors as something nasty they have trod in. There have been people arrested as they arrived at the airport and taken into custody.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I wonder how they can explain the reasons for jailing someone until the debt is paid. Thats pretty much self defeating. But given that the country is ran by multi billionaires who have siphoned off money from the citizens, it becomes obvious.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I wonder how they can explain the reasons for jailing someone until the debt is paid. Thats pretty much self defeating. But given that the country is ran by multi billionaires who have siphoned off money from the citizens, it becomes obvious.

It's difficult for a Westerner to get their heads around Sharia law, but most Arab countries take an extremely dim view of both debt and usuary. Even bouncing a cheque will land you in deep doo-doo.

Will any further posters please refrain from commenting on the rights or wrongs of Sharia as it will not help the OP & will in all likelihood be unapproved. ;)

There have been people ripped off in property scandals involving various con artists and they have had very little help from the Dubai authorities and some have even been arrested, as the con artists had made complaints about non payment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

For them to bring an action in the UK it would take an extremely long time and would probably be prohibitively expensive for them even if they were to obtain permission to proceed from a UK court, which is unlikely.

They are willy waving. ;)

They are willy waving. ;)

You would get arrested and jailed in Dubai for that.

so reasonable to assume that collection in UK of debt from UAE is not enforceable and DCA's trying are just making empty threats?

In case you were unaware, you must not enter any GCC state, not just UAE, as they share databases. You would be liable to be arrested. Saudi jails leave rather a lot to be desired. :(

In case you were unaware, you must not enter any GCC state, not just UAE, as they share databases. You would be liable to be arrested. Saudi jails leave rather a lot to be desired. :(

thanks, aware of that even though i know people who have returned albeit on new passport. I've no intention of returning and just want to be comfortable that nothing can be done.

Yes. I was wrongly accused by a spiteful employer of some ghastly crimes. They wrote to me never to dare set foot in the Emirates again. So i didn't ... for the next 8 weeks. :))

• 1 year later...

Morning All

,see below text from letter,

are the threats to recover in UK possible or is it non-enforceable

- any suggestions on reply to the letter appreciated,

don't know if it makes a difference but now residing in Scotland,

thanks

Dear Sir

Indebtedness to First Gulf Bank

We act on behalf of First Gulf Bank, based in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (“UAE”).

We have been instructed by our client to engage with you and to make arrangements for the repayment of your credit card debt to our client.

We hope that you will engage with us for this purpose. If you do not, then we have instructions to commence legal proceedings against you which, regrettably but inevitably, will result in your liability increasing by reason of the contractual costs indemnity (“the Costs Indemnity”) which was agreed in writing with our client when you applied for (and obtained) your banking facilities.

In terms of prospective legal proceedings, please note that our client’s position is fully reserved in terms of the choice between:

(a) Debt recovery proceedings to be issued before Northampton (CCMCC) County Court; or

(b) Bankruptcy proceedings to be issued before the nearest County Court to your home with insolvency jurisdiction.

Regardless of the above choice of legal forum (and whilst stressing again that we hope court proceedings can be avoided through engagement and negotiation) we ought to clear up a common misconception which has arisen in the course of our debt recovery work for this client and for numerous other client banks operating within the UAE.

Whilst the terms under which you are indebted to our client are governed by the laws of the UAE, our client is free to (and does) pursue legal proceedings in numerous jurisdictions around the world.

An express term within the contractual terms and conditions to which you signed up and agreed states that no single court (whether in the UAE or elsewhere) has “exclusive” jurisdiction to determine these credit card debt claims.

Based on expert evidence given on the applicable laws of the UAE by Baker & McKenzie Habib Al Mulla (leading lawyers in the UAE) we are currently securing an average of ten judgments each month before Northampton (CCMCC) County Court.

In relation to your indebtedness, we have satisfied ourselves that your liability to our client is immediately due and owing and, as such, legal proceedings can be commenced in the UK at any time.

However, as we have stated, we hope that legal proceedings can be avoided and that, instead, you will engage with us and agree to the repayment of your liability.

To this end, we are able to give you 21 days from the date of this letter to make proposals to repay your debt which currently stands at AED XXXXXX .

If the above indebtedness is paid in full to our client within 21 days, then no additional liability for our legal costs will arise under the Costs Indemnity.

However, this concession will only be made available to you on these terms and for this period – so without operating in any way as a waiver to the terms of the Costs Indemnity.

Assuming a settlement agreement can be reached with you, please note that all settlement monies need to be paid into our client account giving the reference: .

Beneficiary COYLE WHITE DEVINE LIMITED - Client AccountBank LLOYDS TSB BANK PLCBranch GERRARDS CROSSAddress 33 PACKHORSE ROAD, GERRARDS CROSS, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE SL9 8PFSort Code 30-13-30Account No 14769868BIC: LOYDGB21358IBAN: GB75LOYD30133014769868

Joanne Perry has been allocated to your account. Please make written repayment proposals to Miss Perry by no later than close of business on 25 September 2013.

Miss Perry’s email address is set out above if email communications are more convenient for you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully COYLE WHITE DEVINE

Edited by dx100uk

I have popped some spacing into your post for easier reading.

It was my understanding that they are unable to obtain judgment against you for a debt in another country. However, I am sure those that know for sure will be along soon to advise.

Can you perhaps post a summary of the actual debt - how long ago the agreement was entered into - how long is it since the last payment was made.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Can you perhaps post a summary of the actual debt - how long ago the agreement was entered into - how long is it since the last payment was made.

debt approx. £12k - no communication or payments since leaving Dubai November 2011

Excellent, thank you. I am just trying to think of things the "experts" might need to know.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?400955-Threatened-with-UK-Bankruptcy-over-Dubai-Debt-from-2009

The link above seems to be a similar situation to yours. You might find some information in that, which will help you :)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Excellent, thank you. I am just trying to think of things the "experts" might need to know.

no worries, I've been told that even if an attempt to secure a judgement in the UK is made it will be thrown out and effectively there is no real legal recourse to recover in UK, and even less in Scotland.Just need advise on wether to reply to it or not and if so how to contruct the reply,thanks

Think you need specific advice about foreign debts being enforced in Scotland.

National Debtline should be able to find out the answer to how the Dubai bank would be able to apply to the Scottish courts to enforce a Dubai debt.

I think it is possible, but it is probably not a straightforward process.

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/scotland/

It would be a good idea, if you were able to look at the Dubai bank credit card terms to see whether it allows for enforcement of the debt in any country you were resident.

• 3 months later...
Hi wangdoodleWhat is the latest on your case - I find myself in a similiar situation, whereby I have received the same communication from the same firm in relation to a UAE debt. I have been sent a sent a statuary deman notice...

If it is a statutory demand, then you will need to get this set aside within the 18 days allowed. Otherwise you risk a bankruptcy petition being made against you.

If you need advice on the set aside process, you will need to set up your own thread in the CAG legal issues folder.

• 7 months later...