UWCLUB have overcharged me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6402 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been overcharged by UWCLUB over my internet charges, I have signed up for there Broadband, which I am on now typing this, I have been for a few months, yet they are still charging me for Dial-up and broadband, hence my internet bills for last few months have been £60+ instead of 19.95. I have complained, they sent me A REPLY saying its my PC's fault and I have not installed it properly. Hey guys I am using it now, Its all working, but they are refusing to refund thier mistake, saying its somehow my fault. How the heck can I control how they are charging me, which button do I press to stop them charging me for Dial-up also I cant use my members pages properly or access half the options, I am paying and using for anti-virus but cant access it on thier site, yet they are somehow saying its my fault. Who do I complain to please.

I suggest something like the letter below. Send it, and then if they haven't sorted it precisely sixteen days later then send a Letter Before Action. I can help with that, too. If they reply in the interim please post their letter here.

Dear Sir,

I opened a contract with you on for the supply of a broadband service. I installed the service on my equipment in accordance with any and all instructions provided. Despite this you are charging me for the service I ordered and additionally a dial-up service which I have not ordered. Our contract requires me to pay £19.95 per month for the supply of a broadband internet service. We have no contract for the supply of a Dial-Up Internet service to me or to my address; nor have I or my household used any such service at any time.

I require you to immediately refund any and all monies taken from my account in relation to all services which are NOT the £19.95 per calendar month Broadband service which I ordered. I further require you to cease and desist from charging me for any and all services which are NOT the £19.95 per calendar month Broadband service which I ordered.

An organisation such as yours, with dedicated staff and departments, should have no difficulty in replying to this letter quickly, and therefore if you have not responded, or if your response is unsatisfactory, within 14 days from receiving this letter, I shall issue a Letter Before Action as your final opportunity to settle this matter outside the courtroom.

Yours faithfully

I assume when you say sixteen, you mean fourteen. Postal delays are not your problem - you can assume that any letter is received the day after it is sent if first class or better.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Excuse my poor writing, I did have Dial-up with them, then I went onto broadband, I do not have the broadband on all the time and have been charged as if I am using Dial up and not the broadband, I have been charged for the Broadband and the time I have been using the Broadband ie 1p a min. They have replied and said we havent charged you Dial up sonce 1st sept, and the refunded 10.00 last month when I rang to ask why I had last month been charged for Dial-up, I have had BB for 4 months at least. I have a members site I cant access because they have not changed the account over at there end, so it says you cannot access this with dial up, but I am on BB but it still wont access it. I have just sent them another porly written letter, asking how can it be my fault, I cant change my status you have to change things from your end. I know why they are not bothered because if you dont pay your bill they can cut All the services off. Who can I switch to for home phone as I am gonna cancel without having to pay charges as its there fault I want to leave.

Truthmistress2,

On your monthly statements from UWCLUB does it show dail up charges for when they claim you were using dail up? That is a time and duration for when you were suppose to be using dail up.

My fear is you have been using dial up without realising yourself. Its a easy thing to do especially if you have used dail up before then gone to broadband on the same PC. Ideally when you turn your PC on the broadband needs to kick in automatically and needs to be set up this way. Unfortunately some of these providers dont do this when you run their set up disc. Usually you are left with an icon to select to turn on your broadband. Some people with this end up using their dail up when they have this without realising it.

Also I'm wondering if you had the monthly dial up fee of £10 before going onto broadband. As they claim you have not used dial up since 1st Sept the reason they have refunded you is the fact when you went to broadband you did not cancel your subscription. If you were not on some this subscription and they charged you for Sept when they claim you never used it, well something is wriong on their side there.

I assume when you say sixteen, you mean fourteen. Postal delays are not your problem - you can assume that any letter is received the day after it is sent if first class or better.

Civil Procedure Rules: A letter is deemed received TWO DAYS after posting. Therefore no - I mean sixteen.

At issue is just because you purchased Broadband doesn't automatically mean your Dial Up access is cancelled. If your PC was not correctly configured - that is, the removal of the Dial Up Connection' Wizard with your ISPs number and log-in details. It doesn;t matter to them what method you use to access them, but clearly if your PC was still dialling their non-BB service, you are still obliged to pay.

This is where diplomacy comes in. If you explain the error was on your side, and when using dial-up woul couldn;t have been using BB, could they do something to reduce the charges? They'd need to be pretty hard-faced not to agree with this. Do also rmemeber if you have a PC and laptop, BOTH need to be configured, as the detault connection will always be used unless you change it.

Start...Control Panel. Network and Internet Connections. Internet Options (at lower right)

Select the "Connections" tab. Choose "Always dial my default connection". Select your BROADBAND connection in the list, and click "Set Default". Click "OK".

You don't need to click "Apply" as the "OK" button applies the settings prior to closing the dialog box.

Civil Procedure Rules: A letter is deemed received TWO DAYS after posting. Therefore no - I mean sixteen.

I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying this.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

Hi, I have not used the same pc that I had Dial up on. This I am on now is a brand new laptop, I have only used their CD that came with the Broad band. I have UWC telling me its my pc. It is there fault, they have not changed over my account AT THIER END. I have not had a reply for my second letter yet. I have asked them to provide me with the information then for me to be able to access the section that I can change over my account from Dial up to Broadband, as they say its my fault but there was no mention that I could change this over myself. I have looked everywhere and nothing. AND it is costing me 75p a min each time I have had to ring them to sort it out, costing me so far over £60.00 for a fault thier end.

Regrettably, ther's no way the fault is 'at their end'. it is you (or your computer) that makes the decision of how to connect to the internet. I have to ask, if you still have you computer dial-up modem connected to the public phone network (and you hear it dialling out) this has nothing to do with any switching at the distant end. Your supplier just provides you with access and with the best will in the world, if I had 2 phone lines with one charging nothing and the other charging £1/min, I've no comeback against anyone because I used the wrong line.

If you had a dial up modem externally or in your PC, unplug it immediatery and hide the lead (it'll have a BT plug on the end). Your BB uses a different connector and it is this that your computer uses to access BB.