style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5375 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya.

6 weeks ago I smelt gas. Someone from the gas board came out and said that they couldn't find the fault and turned off the gas supply.

I have homecare from British Gas and they sent someone out. He said it wasn't the boiler etc and that the pipes weren't covered as they come uner the 'electric' part. (This was never explained to me, my friend is an electrician which is why I opted out of this bit).

My insurance company initially refused to pay saying that I had to prove where the leak was coming from, and the gas engineers had said that the only way to do it was to smash the floors. Not something I was prepared to do!!! Anyway. After days of me failing to get quotes they eventually said that if it was under x ammount then I could authorise the work to be done.

BG said that they couldn't just send someone to do the work as I has to sign the estimate first so I took yet another day off work for someone to give me an estimate. I then had to sign the form and post it to their head office and wait for them to call me with a date. They did call and said that the first date was 6th october (also my birthday). It was quite a long way but the weather was still ok so I just agreed and booked the day off. In that time it's got colder and I've got a bad throat, a chesty cough and i've been wheezing. I haven't been like that for about 15 years (I'm only 26 now). It's not been 6 weeks but I was glad that the work would finally be done. They gave me a time frame of 8.00-13.00 so I got up at 0700. About 11.30 I got a phone call to say that their engineer couldn't make it and they would be over on Tuesday. I wasn't happy! I called my boss to book Tuesday off as well (All this time off at short notice isn't good...). After booking the day off I received another call from BG to say that it would have to be Wednesday instead. Right now they are looking into getting another engineer for Tuesday and will call me back.

I'm really not happy. But can I claim for anything? I'm particularly concerned that it's been over 6 weeks with no heating, hot water, cooker. I've taken several day's off work, and that living in these primitive conditions has made me ill.

Any advice greatfully received!

Helen.

You should automatically receive a rebate on the cost of the work due to them non meeting the agreed deadline. My works was done my a Cetrica company, and they were delayed by 2 days - my bill was reduced bt 33%. You might not have to do anything, but when the engineer calls ensure you tell him this is a rescheduled repair, and compensation is due.