Help with Orange Landline/Broadband

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm not sure of I should be on the Telecom or Broadband Forum but here goes.

Got home from work yesterday and pop on the internet while I had an hour before kiddies got home from school. I had noticed for the 2nd day in a row the internet was slow. I am with Orange. I called them and got a gentleman on the phone who talked me through some tests and he said that there could be a fault with the mains box in the house.

He then told me to get a screwdriver and unscrew the faceplate and plug the internet directly into the socket behind the faceplate which didn't solve the issue. He told me to check all the wires were where they should be. I told him I had no idea where they should go and that I would need an engineer to sort this out. He replied I couldn't have an engineer as this would cost me to much money. He had me checking the colours of the wires and if I thought any were loose.

After this didn't solve the problem he told me to fix it all back together and plug everything in as it should be. This I did and then the internet and my home phone didn't work.

He them had me unscrewing again and putting back together but nothing. By this time all 3 kids were home and I was getting a bit stressed as my hubby is in hospital and he normally deals with issues like this.

After 1 1/2 hours on the phone he told me the faceplate must be broke. I told him it was working fine until I was asked to start messing on with it. I asked for a manager and he told me the best thing I could do is go to a hardware shop, but a new faceplate and call a local engineer to fix it and they would credit my account with £20 The faceplate that was on was only new by 1 month after I paid BT as the previous one was damaged.

This is when I became upset as I knew nothing of wires and where they should go so I asked for a higher manager and guess what - they hung up on me. At this point I was in tears so I called back and got a lady who put me through to a manager who said someone would call me back which he did and I told him the faceplate was lying on the floor with the wires exposed and the router was plugged into the socket behind the faceplate but I had nowhere to plug the phone into.

He advised that he would get in touch with the home phone team and call me back. As my husband is in hospital I am getting up at 5.15am, walking our 2 dogs, coming in making packed lunches, getting kids up, fed and dressed getting bus to work then getting home, housework, homework, tea, walking dogs again, bath and bed. So by 9pm I'm sparked out asleep. I am suddenly woken by my mobile ringing and the thought of what happened to my husband comes in my head and I answer phone from a blocked number at 11.05pm thinking its the hospital but no its Orange and they want to discuss fixing my phone line. I was so angry I told him to ring at a reasonable hour and hung up.

So where do I go from here? I am so angry with them and guess what - my husband works for Orange...

i have had that before remove face plate do this and that none of it worked!

i take it you pay line rental and everything to orange

normally bt cover up to the main socket but as you not with bt not sure how it works i expect orange will pass the buck for bt to repair when it goes wrong

The wires shouldn't of come out so ma by not fitted in properly as they just clip in to back of face plate

you could either put socket back together plead ignorance and raise a line fault in the hope that will be a free fix

or once you get a quiet moment put it back together following a diagram will see if i can find one!!

failing that if you purchase a new one from diy store that should have a diagram on how its done

it all looks worse than it is lots of wires

Ps i cant wait to leave Orange counting down now just over a month left:whoo:

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

there should be two wires that connect to the back of the face plate.

they are

white with little blue marks and blue with little white marks

Blue cable with little white bits goes to point marked "2"

white cable with little blue bits goes to point marked"5"

you may need a kitchen knife or something similar to push the cables home

you can buy a tool for doing it if need be

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Hi

Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure if the faceplate is the same as I have opened it up and there are only 4 slots where the wires go and 3 of them have wires in them and 1 without but I have 3 loose wires so not sure which one goes in the empty slot.

I would love to leave but we just renewed and as my hubby works there we don't pay for the broadband and I got 40% off my mobile line rental.

Try googling telephone connection uk

there are different varieties of faceplate. If you were able to remove the faceplate and plug directly into the socket behind it then you have a current "master socket" one

If plugged in there then there is no need to check any further, any faults are with the telco rather than any extension wiring in the home

There should be 4 wires going to any further sockets ...

Remember to use your broadband filters

Hi

What you have described is what have.

Of the 4 sockets 3 have wires. I wire is white with clue bits, 1 wire is dark blue with white bits, and the other wire is orange with white bits. The 3 loose wires are white with orange bits, green with white bits and white with green bits.

Should I just try each wire and see what happens?

Thanks so much.

This would only stop the extension socket working, not the main socket

If teh phone/broadband wont work there, the wiring isn't at fault

If you only have 3 wires connected, look in the extension socket to see which wires are used in that (the same 4 should be used in both) If one has broken, use one of the spares