Link Financial trying to recover 12 year old ccj?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4285 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I've had a read of some threads which have given me some really helpful advice,

but I was hoping someone could offer something more specific to my husband's situation.

My husband recieved a letter from Link a couple of months ago regarding an old (pre 1998) student loan.

We sent off a statute barred letter only for them to reply saying the account was subject to a ccj and so cannot be sb'ed.

I do not think they knew about the ccj to start with as the original sum they were asking was about £3300, and this dropped to £2400 in the ccj letter.

My oh has no knowledge of the ccj (Link claim he has paid £104 towards it but as he didn't know about it this is unlikely!),

but rang the county court who confirmed a ccj was given to the slc in 2000 (Link had ref no of the ccj).

The lady dh spoke to at the court was quite helpful and told dh it would no longer be enforceable but would speak to the Judge.

I assume she got 'told off' for discussing it with dh as he recieved a strangely short email from her saying Judge said they would need to seek permission to enforce but this is likely to be given! :!:

We were planning on replying to Link just asking them to prove the ccj, that they are the claimant etc

- not telling them we had spoken to the court and see what they come up with.

The debt helpline suggested we could offer 30-40% of debt as settlement - is this a good idea?

Reading on here we assumed it would be unlikely to be re-enforced, but the reply from court suggests it could be likely.

Can anyone suggest what would be the sensible way forward here?

Thanks

I would invite Link to provide full details of the 'alleged' CCJ - there's certainly no need to help them by giving any details which you have been able to discover, and also to provide proof that your husband made the alleged payment of £104, including full details of when and exactly how the payment was made.

To a certain extent Link are correct in that if a CCJ has been granted then the debt cannot become statute barred, but if it has not been enforced for 12 years Link would have to go back to court for permission and to be honest I would be amazed if permission was granted unless your husband has been hiding under a stone for the last 12 years.

Additionally, if your husband really knew nothing at all about it then he could also apply to have the CCJ set aside.

All in all, if Link want their £2400 they are going to have to work for it and it is going to cost them. Can't see it happening personally, but you never know. At least they can't trash his credit reference file with it.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks, I've written a letter asking for proof so will see what they come up with.

My husband was homeless for the first few years but has been on the electrol roll since 2004 and we got a mortgage in 2005 with no problems so he has certainly been traceable.

Is the issue of the payment relevant to whether the ccj is still enforcable or not then?

urm... CCJ's are 6yrs and they fall off a cra

paid or otherwise not 12yrs [thats mortgages]

i would infact do nothing mre.

link as usual are talking a load of bullworts just to get you to contact them.

check your oh's cra file please

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Is the issue of the payment relevant to whether the ccj is still enforcable or not then?

Probably not, but why not make them prove everything. If it turns out the payment was nothing to do with your husband it just discredits the rest of their utterances.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

See sec 24; http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58

If a creditor tried to enforce it your defence would be section 24 of the limitations Act 1980....

(1) An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2) No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.

For this reason alone, cc judges would not normally allow enforcement.

urm... CCJ's are 6yrs and they fall off a cra

paid or otherwise not 12yrs [thats mortgages]

i would infact do nothing mre.

link as usual are talking a load of bullworts just to get you to contact them.

check your oh's cra file please

dx

Dh checked his credit file which is clear, we also hadchecks done in 2005 and 2010 when we took out a mortgage.

See sec 24;

If a creditor tried to enforce it your defence would be section 24 of the limitations Act 1980....

(1) An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2) No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.

For this reason alone, cc judges would not normally allow enforcement.

thanksfor that,I'll keep it in mind if they try to claim it's enforcable.

They have just sent a letter asking him to ring them to arrange apayment plan if he cannot pay it back in one go, despite telling him originally payment plans were not acceptable, so perhaps they arefeeling the shaky ground?!

thanksfor that,I'll keep it in mind if they try to claim it's enforcable.

They have just sent a letter asking him to ring them to arrange apayment plan if he cannot pay it back in one go, despite telling him originally payment plans were not acceptable, so perhaps they arefeeling the shaky ground?!

Or they just want to get him on the phone where they can say and threaten what they like without having to put it in writing.

You are not going to phone them, of course. Unless you can record the call.

RMW

If they write back with nonsense about the CCJ and there are no reasons for you not paying, just write back a short and sweet letter addressed to their compliance manager. e.g the owners of the debt had 6 years from the date of the CCJ to collect and they failed to do so. Therefore the CCJ is no longer relevant and you will not be able to get any judge to extend it. I would therefore suggest that you stop trying to communicate with me or a report will be made to the OFT.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Simply copy to Link, the points made by cerabusalert in post #7

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D