• Tweets

• Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
    • In anticipation of lodging my court claim next Weds 1 May (14 days after advising P2G that was my deadline for them to settle my claim) I have completed my first draft POC as below: Claim Claim number: xxxxx Reference: P2G MAY 2024   Claimant xxxxx   Defendant Parcel2Go 1A Parklands Lostock Bolton BL6 4SD  Particulars of Claim The defendant has failed to arrange for the safe delivery of the claimant's parcel containing a 8 secondhand golf clubs (valued at £265) that was sent to a UK address using their delivery service (P2G Reference xxxxx). The defendant contracted Evri to deliver the parcel (Evri Reference xxxxx) and refuses to reimburse the claimant on the grounds that the claimant did not purchase their secondary insurance contract. The defendant seeks to exclude their liability in breach of section 57 Consumer Rights Act. The secondary insurance contract is in breach of section 72. The claimant seeks reimbursement of £265, plus P2G fees of £9.10, plus postage costs for two first class letters to P2G of £2.70, plus court fees, plus interest. The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from xxxxx to xxxxxx on £276.80 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £xxxx   Details of claim Amount claimed £276.80 I look forward to your thoughts and comments guys! As ever, many thanks - G59    
    • Hmm, that's strange how they got my email then.  I assume the below is ok to send to DCBL, Nicky?  Hello, I am writing regarding our ongoing dispute and the upcoming court claim reference xxxxxxxx. To ensure fairness and transparency in our communications leading up to the court hearing, I request that you use postal mail exclusively for all further correspondence related to this claim. Please refrain from sending any communication or documents via email. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. If you have any questions or need clarification, please feel free to contact me via postal mail at the address provided above. Yours sincerely, xxxx
    • In the SAR, I received the original application, lots of computer print outs, yearly statements from 2013 and the new emails regarding my complaint. They sent me a £50 cheque after I chased them for the SAR after the 30 days. They said they was waiting for me to respond to an email (which I never received) before sending the SAR
    • classic P2G. I'm sure dianne and Lesley will pop an email to you at some point.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Employment Appeal Tribunal: How to establish points of Law grounds

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For a case of more than 3 days there's no way it is fair to ask people to help by PM - they deserve payment for their time too! Also you do not know the qualifications of anyone here. And if a no-win no-fee wonlt take you on, your chances are not that good.

We're on page 2 and I have no idea what your actual case was about. Please do not tell me - I do not care, you do not listen to advice!

I stand by my intial assessmrnt of *rambling* and *unable to express the point clearly.*

I *think* you are contesting a redundancy. And I would have told you at the outset not to bother, because the employer can manipulate those selection criteria any way they like to make it look legal. Unless you are pregnant, there is no point trying, it just takes up your energy when you need to be job hunting!

You've had your day in court and not only did you blow it, you accessed the judge of bias. Judges talk to and support each other unless it;s HUGE misdemeanor - which this isn't! What do you think your odds are of taking this personal vendetta further with any success?

Drop it. Move on. Live your life.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Having read and re read all of the comments and questions I have to agree with a previous posting that it would appear that the judge has been polite in his comments, but he is saying that the case was not presented clearly and that he has not found in your favour.

It is not a good move to accuse a judge of bias as you want him on your side

All in all I agree yoyu have had your day in court, blown it and if you want to appeal you will need a good solicitor not free advice from this forum.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

It is most frustrating when people direct people to lawyers without a caveat. Lawyers are not free and free lawyers are not easy to get to take up a case of up to 25 days hearing. Most free lawyers are interested in cases lasting no more than 3 days. If you are willing to offer your service that would be a great help. If not it would be good to receive your kind contribution through my private message or through this open forum.

Tell me about them lawyers... Such is life, I am afraid.

This is a case that the Judge stated during the first day of the hearing that nobody was permitted to record the hearing in any electronic media and that it was a criminal offence if the hearing was recorded. He said people are free to make written notes if they so wish. What is the judge afraid of? At the Courts every comments is recorded and people can request for transcript. Now only what the Judge has written count and even if the Claimant is the best orator nobody can tell. This is just simply unfair!

I'm afraid you're wrong. Section 9 of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 says one cannot record the hearing with any recording gadget unless allowed by the court. Court hearings are not a press conference. That's why you will see lawyers and judges themselves taking notes.

But I am not gonna blame you for not knowing that. You have the right to be wrong.

The Employment Judge was told to his face in the open Tribunal, after blatant persecution and oppression against the Claimant, that the EJ was biased by the Claimant. The Claimant then requested from the Judge permission to take the adverse decision to the EAT. The Judge told him he should make the application himself. Once again those reasons provided by the Judge came after the Claimant told him that the Tribunal was biased.

I see there were loads of emotions there, but I also see the judge being very calm. Which is good.

You see, it is not enough for them to be told they're biased. They won't take it. Everything depends on your case details. Can you provide some of here?

If you still believe they were wrong, fight for it.

I know judges tend to undermine unrepresented claimants and judge them too quickly. Been through it myself. But hey! They are only people - after all, they need to be presented with argument so that they can choose which one they think is right. The public tends to make assumptions that judges know everything. No, they don't.

One thing I know of many English Judges, as I go to Court and Tribunal more frequently, is their command of using language to obfuscate the truth. Not surprising that the Judge had written comments that on the face of it looks like the Claimant was not making any sense. But when justice is not seen to be fair it created animosity within the civil society which many failed to understand.

I have to say, when I go through some judgements (not only from ETs), I wonder: is the judge trying to protect his own interest (by pretending not to have spotted the obvious winner), or is he/she really so dumb?

My reading of those comments indicate to me that the Judge came with a predetermined mind. I cannot understand how a Judge can arrive at a “firm evidence” from one side alone (Respondents 1 and 2) to the case when the judge is also stating that he was not making a final finding?

This is the first case I have seen where a Judge refused names of comparators to be known because the Counsel said that to the Tribunal revealing the names would lead to the Claimant knowing pay data and personal matter in the disclosed bundle. It seemed that the Judge has not written the complete truth. Pay data, promotional history and training data including qualifications of the comparators were the requests made by the Claimant which were refused by the Judge as they were not initially disclosed by the Respondents. I think it was just a red herring by the judge as he knows most judges dont have the luxury of time to read 8 archival files!

Did you claim whatever you base your need on to provide other comparators' details in the first place? What were your claims for?

Edited by ms_smith

I have followed this without much comment, and I cannot

see any reason for an assumption that the tribunal has shown

bias.

As someone used to unravelling evidence/submissions my feeling

is that the overlong and seemingly garbled statements left the judge

little choice and the tribunal found logically and sensibly on this matter.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

ms_smith,

Your comments were very reassuring and balanced.

With reference to the comments of recording: The EJ stated that the Tribunal was not subjected to the Court and CPR Rules except I believe he mentioned rule 60. He said the Tribunal has its own rule totally different from what is followed by the Court. In the Court you can request for Transcript so that any conduct/misdemeanour of a Judge can easily be identified and where necessary escalated to the appropriate channel for redress.

At the PHR the Employer was ordered to open up documents. When this order was not complied with the Claimant wrote the Tribunal that the employer refused to comply and requested for another CMD/PHR. The Employer Lawyer firmly objected that it would be disproportionate. The Tribunal then responded that during the substantive hearing the issue should be raised. The Tribunal then overruled the order at the PHR. When the Claimant found out all the evidence he required to prove his case was being refused or over rule he made that comments that the Tribunal were biased.

The case: Racial Discrimination as one head and Unfair Dismissal as the other head. RR65 was completed requesting information such as training, promotion and pay data for comparators. The Employer refused to provide answers to these questions and other crucial information to help the Claimant formulate his case more effectively. They only responded to questions that appeared to help their case.

When the Claimant wrote the tribunal for the Employer to respond to those crucial information they refused to respond to, the Employer responded back to the Tribunal that they were fully aware for providing evasive answers. In the information they disclosed they refused to disclose names of Comparators but instead provided several codes for each question relating to Comparators so that you cannot identify any comparator or find any trend. For instance Comparator named as Code 11 does not uniquely tie that code to a comparator but only to that question. Code 11 in another question is another Comparator. So you can not form any unique information from Comparator Code 11.

With reference to the comments of recording: The EJ stated that the Tribunal was not subjected to the Court and CPR Rules except I believe he mentioned rule 60. He said the Tribunal has its own rule totally different from what is followed by the Court. In the Court you can request for Transcript so that any conduct/misdemeanour of a Judge can easily be identified and where necessary escalated to the appropriate channel for redress.

I guess you can record court hearings in US but definitely not in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/sep/09/contempt-case-pensioner-released

Other than that

http://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/Services/recordings-of-proceedings/Pages/default.aspx

At the PHR the Employer was ordered to open up documents. When this order was not complied with the Claimant wrote the Tribunal that the employer refused to comply and requested for another CMD/PHR. The Employer Lawyer firmly objected that it would be disproportionate. The Tribunal then responded that during the substantive hearing the issue should be raised. The Tribunal then overruled the order at the PHR. When the Claimant found out all the evidence he required to prove his case was being refused or over rule he made that comments that the Tribunal were biased.

Who ordered the employer to open the docs following PHR? You or the judge presiding PHR?

Unless there are unusual circumstances (contempt of court on the part of tribunal staff from before CMD or PHR is just an extreme example) you cannot just order another CMD or PHR. This is the process that goes as it goes, step by step, every time taking its toll or creating opportunities to gather more evidence. You have to be very skilled and careful to make sure you have got in hand what you need for the main hearing.

Are you sure the judge wrote back about raising the issue during the main hearing?

The case: Racial Discrimination as one head and Unfair Dismissal as the other head. RR65 was completed requesting information such as training, promotion and pay data for comparators. The Employer refused to provide answers to these questions and other crucial information to help the Claimant formulate his case more

effectively. They only responded to questions that appeared to help their case.

They usually do so, I'm afraid.

When the Claimant wrote the tribunal for the Employer to respond to those crucial information they refused to respond to, the Employer responded back to the Tribunal that they were fully aware for providing evasive answers. In the information they disclosed they refused to disclose names of Comparators but instead provided several codes for each question relating to Comparators so that you cannot identify any comparator or find any trend. For instance Comparator named as Code 11 does not uniquely tie that code to a comparator but only to that question. Code 11 in another question is another Comparator. So you can not form any unique information from Comparator Code 11

Did you claim in your ET1 specificly who you were discriminated against - by mentioning names of other employees?

Edited by ms_smith

Yes I agree with you on that front. But I do not see why disclosure of names in their own disclosed documents to understand the 8 archival files is asking too much.

The employer is under no legal obligation to answer a Discrimination Questionnaire, which is probably why the Judge refused your request.

ms_smith

The order was made by the Tribunal Chairman during the PHR for the Respondent to open up the document they disclosed on their own free will. This was after several case laws (e.g. Home Office v Tariq [2011] UKSC 35) to demonstrate Equality of Arms principle were submitted as evidence. One case law was that of paragraph 39 in the judgment of Tugendhat J in Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis & Anor v Times Newspapers Ltd & Anor [2011] EWHC 2705 (QB):

… under English law the burden of proof is on the defendant in a libel action. In my judgment, if the defendant is deprived of the means to prove his case, there is not equality of arms. The fact that a claimant does not need certain documents to prove his case may mean that he is not in an equal position with a defendant who does need them, but is refused access to them.

Most of the names of the comparators were clearly written in the ET1 form where details on the discriminating treatments were spelt out in full.

Edited by Sokoto