Link financial outsourcing and threats :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please help!! I've just received a letter from the above saying that I owe them £ from a student loan I took out in 1994 - 97. I have had zero contact with anyone about this since at least 1999, and they say they will not accept monthly payments but want the money within 21 days or they will come round and recover goods! I am in a state. I'm afraid i did foolishly call them as wanted to sort this out, but have been reading that I shouldn't have phoned. Can they do this??

The letter states *DO NOT IGNORE THIS NOTICE, FURTHER ACTION WILL BE TAKEN TO RECOVER THIS DEBT INCLUDING AN AGENT ATTENDING YOUR PROPERTY OR LITIGATION* When I called i said we did not have the money, she said perhaps you can sell something or ask family, I sadi we can't, she said well do you want 21 days to find it? I repeated, we do not have this money, she said ok then I'll tell my manager to start recovery. I then said I cannot speak to you at this moment. It is ridiculous and then put the phone down. I am worried sick :|

OK, stop speaking to them on the phone. If they call again TELL them to put it in writing and put the phone down. Acknowledgement only counts if you pay or put it in writing.

Their letters are designed to scare you into paying, don't be scared. Send them a letter stating the debt is statute barred and you won't be paying. Someone will be along to post a link to the letter template soon enough.

Thank you so much. I feel such a moron for phoning them but then I wanted to try my best! I've never had such a horrible response -It's frightening and I'm not usually scared off by such things... I'll send the letter (not signed by hand of course!!) and see what happens

The CAG mantra is never speak to these people on the 'phone, everything should be in writing.

If they do 'phone you must refuse to speak to them and demand that they communicate in writing only. These telephone monkeys have a habit of saying things they would not dare commit to paper. ;)

They may come back and say a phantom payment has been made which would prevent it from being SB. The onus is still on them to prove it & provide evidence of by who, when & by what method any alleged payment was made.

but can they use that I offered on the phone to try to come to an arrangement as a reason to wipe the 6 years?? if you see what I mean...

No, they need written evidence. They could have spoken to anyone. ;)

Besides, if there was any clear period of six years it would be SB. You could admit it in writing, tattoo it on your bum & display it in Harrods window & it still wouldn't unbar it... nothing can.

Oh God, I've now been told by someone that pre 1998 student loans aren't covered by the 6 year bar, but it's 25 years plus they will not write it off if nothing has been paid off it. Basically, I never paid anything, and never even got a chance to defer as no-one has been in contact with me about it since around 1999. I am seriously scared again!!