Please help - FSA trouble with bank

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

At my witts end been into bank today, don't know if I'm being given the run around

Long story short, the lovely Barclays Bank allowed from my cash card account (to me a basic a/c!) a payment to one of my creditors, (non priority but bank says otherwise! can't believe it) only thing was there wasn't actually enough money to cover this but they still allowed it out omg!! at first they said it was the FSA fault because (their words) when someone has a credit debt now the FSA demand they allow payments anyhow regardless of balance when someone's credit report score could be damaged (is this bull?) I've had debts a long time, never heard this before and recently my financial situation has changed for the worse so much so I have poss come to the point where I need a DRO and can't believe this has happened, now I have to explain to the I.S that money was paid out I DIDN'T HAVE

All day long I've been on this, at first the branch manager argued the FSA point but later in the day admits the bank is at fault I'm so confused, is there anywhere I can go - can I approach the FSA myself with this as a complaint as I think it stinks to bring the FSA into in when basic accounts are there for a reason and I was told I'd never have overdraft facilities

It is not looking like I will get any money back, (£13 defintely isn't mine anyway but my basic account now looks like a current account with overdraft apparently I won't get charged just balance un-minus when any money goes in - don't have this in writing though!!!) my creditor refuse to talk to Barclays as my Branch Manager gave me her mobile number to give them and then says she doesn't know what else to do, I hadn't realised telephone banking and branches all have different ideas! - Tel Banking say I have been given a £15 overdraft at the banks discretion to cover embrassement which I didn't want/never know about, but branch this morning just laughed and said they don't know what their talking about

Really don't know what to do so looking for advice/someone to give me the facts

Edited by asmilecostsnothing
add about tel banking

Happy to share my experience but for your own protection, please check and double check what myself and other Caggers inform

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.”

:-)

Hi ASCN,

Complaining to the FSA is not an option. If the bank has transgressed in some way, the FOS would be who you'd complain to although they are not as impartial as they'd have you believe..

We need to know more here, about :-

1. Who took or was paid the money.

2. What it was for.

3. By what method the payment was made (DD mandate, standing order, Continuous Payment Authority, cheque, etc).

4. Do you have an overdraft facility.

5. Do you have a Barclays Reserve facility.

6. If the answer to 4 and 5 is NO because this is a "Basic Account", please confirm if it has ANY facilities such as debit card, DD's, SO's, etc.

7.What is the total amount of the payment that's caused this problem.

8. By what amount has this caused you to be o/drawn.

Give approx figures if you don't want to give too much info.

If all that's been said was by phone or in person, you need it backed up in writing. Otherwise you haven't a leg to stand on.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

First thing Monday, get to the Coop or Post Office and open a basic account with them then get your payment put into that account.

You can tell Barclays that as they didn't allow an overdraft on your account with them, they should have refused payment and 'not' made an overdrawn amount. Tell them in a letter if you prefer, that your will not be paying any charges as they are soley the banks responsibility.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, have to say I'm still no further forward... :sad:

In the end I rang my approved intermediary who said we should add the balance of the account to the DRO and that was prob the best way of dealing with it rather then stress trying to write letters of complaint and all honesty I don't believe in the FOS - the AI said to expect my account to be frozen or closed down officially if the order goes through

Barclays refuse to listen and sent a letter saying my case is under investigation by the senior team and that will take x weeks to respond, in the meantime I have had to proceed with my debt relief application and today a funny thing happened....

I received a statement (unusual because I understand statements were now issued quaterly) and guess what it now says Cash Card Account / Current Account !!!

makes me wonder if they did upgrade the account without my knowledge??

BEWARE EVERYONE WHO THINKS THEY HAVE A BASIC ACCOUNT UNDER THE GUISE OF THE CASH CARD ACCOUNT!

Anyhow it seems on top of this "over draft" fisaco they also want to charge me £8 - which I'm happy to pay though how do I if Barclays will suspend my a/c and £12.74 is taken care of by the DRO - any credit I put into the account will now surely be gulped up into the £12.74?

If I must write letter of complaint can I do it to the branch direct or Customer Relations - but is there any point?

@ Slick, creditor was a CC - Vanquis (who say thanks very much for your payment) that Barclays allowed out for £31.00 when there was only a balance of £18.26 in the first place ! Barclays claim a 'financial link' was created by past payments made!!!! and that they had to allow the transaction through under FSA rulings - must be payback as I didn't incure any problems with PDL's raiding my account so I am so shocked at what is now happening

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat what happens with Barclaycard !! thats for sure as their another creditor who yes had past payments to

Barclays barking.pdf

Happy to share my experience but for your own protection, please check and double check what myself and other Caggers inform

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.”

There's no logic to Barclays behaviour - they do what they want, when they want.

If you didn't have adequate funds for the payment to clear, they shouldn't have paid it.

But another time, you could have marginally less in your a/c than an important Direct Debit and they'll return it, UNPAID !! :mad2:

With everything else that's going on, you're right to do whatever is easiest for you, and I hope it works out ok for you.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)