Currys admited they were wrong but will not refund anything happens

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice to give my Neigbour.A couple of months ago he purchased a tablet at Curry's on credit. He was told by the sales person at the time that as part of the deal they would throw in Cloud software, a case and Anything happens cover.

This week he was checking his bank details and found that he had actually been debited for the Anything happens cover since the agreement had been taken out. After further investigation he found that he had also been charged for the case and cloud software.

All of these items were supposed to have been "thrown in " as part of the deal.He went down to the store yesterday and after about an hours discussion in an office at the rear of the shop, the original salesman appologised to him, and agreed to cancel the credit agreement and anytime cover and refund any money that had been paid.

He could then set up a new credit agreement without the add on's. My neigbour was quite happy with this as he would not of bought the extra's anyway if they hadn't have been given free. As he pointed out as a long term customer he has never taken out optional Service cover on any agreements in the past as he knows they are a waste of money.All went well until the refund went through.

Yes they refunded the money he had paid on the tablet, cloud software and case and cancelled the Credit agreement but blankly refused to pay him back the £30 he had paid on the Anything Goes cover saying that he had to do that through head office. And Unless he paid them another £44 deposit there and then he couldn't have another credit agreement there and then.After some argument he left the shop and later called head office.

They advised that the shop had to deal with this issue - not them...so he rang the shop back... and guess what .. they deny anything that was said in the original meeting about mis-selling and only gave him a refund as a gesture of goodwill.. and so it goes on.

Now before anyone says anything, I know he should have checked everything when he originally purchased it, however, why would the shop give you a full refund on an item that is not faulty if they had done nothing wrong in the first place.I also know that £30 doesn't sound a lot but to some people it is.Any ideas anyone

Sorry - Never used OSC but I beleive it is called Whatever Happens not Anything Happens.... Lokking at threads on here looks like it should be nothing happens most of the time ha ha

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Moan,

Thanks for taking the time to post your query, if you would like to get your neighbour to email me at [email protected] and I will have a look into what can be done.

Please advise your neighbour that they will need to include their full address and postcode and the 'whatever happens' agreement reference number.

Once I have this info I will be able to assist you further.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

Oh Paul. What a disappointing proposed resolution. A large company like Currys quibbling over £15 quid. I would have thought you would have done better for a loyal customer. I am so flabbergasted

Hi Moan,

Sorry that you feel my response is not acceptable. The reason I have made the offer of a £15 GOGW towards a refund of 2 months worth of payments is what I stated in my correspondence, the onus is on the customer if they have anything coming out of one of their accounts. That's not taking any of our responsibility away if it has been mis-sold but after 5 months of payments at £7.50 leaving the account we would not be able to refund the full amount.

I hope that you understand why the decision has been made on this. If it was just over 2 months there wouldn't have been an issue for me to refund the payment as I accept you don't always check the receipt when something has been bought. However when the funds have been leaving your account for almost half a year, we are not able to offer the full refund back.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team

Hi Paul

If it hadn't been Mis-sold in the first place, then the customer wouldn't be in a position where monies have been debited each month. Also there is no need for the customer to check their statements as far as they are concerned the transaction has been cancelled, but Curry's continued asking for the monies.

Get your friend to contact his bank regarding the Debits :- http://www.bacs.co.uk/Bacs/Businesses/DirectDebit/Collecting/Pages/CustomersRights.aspx See what they can do.

Also you could see if you could lodge a complaint with the FOS to see if they can look into the matter for you.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/contact/index.html

Curious to know what was on the actual receipt when purchased and the amount listed on the credit agreement! to cover these free extras???? easy to read through at the time before you sign up to it!

I tend to agree that the OP friend must take some responsability here, for not checking sooner and getting it sorted.

Thanks for the reply Paul. However there were only 4 months paid not 5 - the shop gave a full refund on the tablet and cloud and the only thing you will not refund is Whatever happens. Now I don't want to appear pedantic but at the end of the day why would the shop refund everything if they were not in the wrong.. My neighbour was quite prepared to enter in to a new agreement for the tablet provided he was refunded the money has paid out. Gesture of goodwill seems to be a phrase that suits big business these days and if I were in business and in the right it wouldn't be a phrase that I would use. I think by your email to my neighbour you are basically taking the word of a salesman over a customer and as such you should give the loyal customer the benefit of the doubt

Hey Rebel,

I agree that we should have never been in this situation as like most posts on here, at the time of purchase only the colleague and the customer can confirm what was and was not.

I'm not saying its the customers fault in any sence, but the customer does have a duty to check what they are agreeing to purchase by checking the receipt. As I have stated I know how easy it is to not check the receipt as I for one am guilty of this.

The mandate was cancelled as soon as the customer realised what had gone on but that was 5 months down the line and we as a company are unable to refund a customer the full amount after this length of time.

I appreciate those who think the blame lies with us and I also appreciate those who think the customer should have checked their bank and receipt. If the customer had noticed this within a more reasonable time frame we may have been able to refund the full amount, but, we are talking about close to half a year.

I have emailed the customer with an offer and have yet to receive a response.

Sorry its not better news guys

Paul

The KNOWHOW team

Hi paul

What benefit has the customer received from the 'Whatever Happens Insurance'? , if the FOS decide they will look into the matter it will cost Curry's £500, we will have to see if they do.

So correct me if i am wrong here.

Customer gets refunded = no one loses out.

No refund = customer loses out and looks bad for Company.

Customer involves fos = company pays out more and still looks bad.

Company has admitted fault so should fix this so every one is happy, isnt that good business?

im sorry but im going to side with pcworld on this

how often have we told people you should check the monthly statement

pcworld has made an offer of part repayment by the looks of it, which although we dont know the ammount seems fair that theyve at least made an offer

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

With all due respect Labrat. its a question of principle. If you bought something and got thrown in some benefits then you would go for it. The point is that the OP would not have bought an insurance policy that most people recognise is a total waste of money. The salespeople should be trained to explain that this is an optional extra ... The refund goes to show that that Curry's are in the wrong or they would not have done it. This BS excuse of Gesture of goodwill speaks for itself. If they were right then they would not offer anything. It comes down to customer loyalty. I know the OP has bought loads of stuff from them over the years but the company cannot get it in to their head that he is important to keep them running... not just him but thousands like him... If you treat em like poo then loyal customers will do the same.

I get six monthly bank statements as I am living between five places presently (both in and out the UK), and don't use internet banking as I seldom have fixed line access to the internet. I would never notice an amount so small being taken, although might when I gave the statement a once over, although it can be months after its arrived.

I also would not expect someone to take more than agreed from my bank account.

Seeing the full documentation/agreement could prove interesting.

right the six monthly statments does change my attitude slightly

after all if the first statment came 5 months down the line then that is the earliest you could have noticed it so its reasonable to ask for some back

i will point out however that every time i have taken out the cover on some item or other from the store they have asked for the account number and sort code seperate to the payment details for the item and asked for a direct debit mandate to be signed this should have probably rung bells a little

moaninsod - i agree its the principle however i will point out that even if you felt like taking it to court then the judge would look at how reasonable both sides have acted, in this case DSGI have acted reasonably by offering a good will gesture (im not sure how much good will as no ammounts been mentioned yet), they would probably point out that the customer provided details for the direct debit (pcworld dont use continus payments) point out its impossible to determine what was said by either side, and then settle the refund roughly down the middle and leave both sides to pay there own costs, which is likely to be more than the refund anyway....

im sorry if you dont like my opinion but im trying to see it from both sides and at the end of the day i think thats how a judge would look at it as well

as to the warrenty being a massive waste of money, then im sorry i will have to disagree ive taken the WEH on loads of things from there and always recommend friends and family to do so - yes the items always covered by the house insurance but if i claim off the WEH then theres no excess, no raised premiums, even if it breaks several times and i think thats worth it, yes we hear stories of items being rejected but is this really differnt to some of the stories of people being investigated for insurance fraud after making a claim

paul the comment above about seeing the full documents is intresting, i know the full details is something that is asked for alot on the forums, i also know from my sources that there is the terms and conditions for all the agreements avaliable is it worth putting these in there own thread and asking the mods to sticky it? it might sort out issues along the lines

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

The judge will want to know what benefit the customer gained from having the 'Whatever Happens' cover as it would never have covered the product as the customer had no product to cover as it was refunded at which point the judge would want an explanation from Curry's, the customer can then go into the mis-selling element of this case.

However the miss selling still comes down to the he said she said scenario

Also during the period that the weh was in place the oP still had the tablet and therefoRe had the proDuct to be covered, during which time he had the benefits of the support lines, accidental damage cover etc, asking for a refund based on no benefits used during that time is like asking for the money back on your car insurance as you declared it off road 5 months ago and have now had a refund from the garage so want the insurance money back

Face it any case would be 50-50 and pick them

Feel free to call me the devils advocate but I don't think it's as simple as suggested

Sorry about typos it's hard type quickly on a iPad

Edited by labrat

Please note: