Swinton group limited searching credit report when I have not even requested a quote from them.

HellenMellon
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Swinton group limited made an inquiry against my credit report when I have not even requested a quote from them, and certainly don't owe them any money.

I have always paid for any insurance in one annual payment by cheque and more recently credit card, I never pay monthly or set up credit to do so. So why Swinton have felt the need to snoop into my personal finances when I have not even contacted them via any service beggars belief.

I've had major problems with Swinton and their their persistent harassment ever since I had a policy with them several years ago. For over five years they incessantly ring me every anniversary of my home and car insurance despite requests to stop. Now I find they are searching my credit report.

Same thing happened me yesterday, swinton made 3 searches of my credit report over the last three days. I had been using car insurance comparison sites so I assume they're connected to one of them. Though I definitely didn't give permission for any searches to be made.

I've contacted equifax to ask for evidence of the permission I'm supposed to have given, and for the searches to be removed.

Same thing happened me yesterday, swinton made 3 searches of my credit report over the last three days. I had been using car insurance comparison sites so I assume they're connected to one of them. Though I definitely didn't give permission for any searches to be made.

I've contacted equifax to ask for evidence of the permission I'm supposed to have given, and for the searches to be removed.

It might be worth you reading this :

http://www.checkmyfile.com/articles/551/credit-reports/credit-search-footprints-left-by-comparison-sites.htm

Same here, they have also been searching my credit record in the last few days.

My car insurance is due next month, but I have not been online asking for quotes yet this year.

I used price comparison sites last year to find my current service but have never had an agreement with Swinton, and not looked for any insurance since then (nearly 12 months).

So, a random insurance company searching my records a year on is more than a little cheeky!

In fact, I'm pretty upset about it.

What are my options for action?

Are you going to take any action?

Edited by Zathras

I think you will find T&C's of Comparision sites state that they may check your file.

Maybe so for the period when I used the service, but surely not for forever more!? Remember this is a year later for me.

I dont believe I was credit checked at the time by the comparision service or Swinton, only by the people I took the insurance out with.

Maybe so for the period when I used the service, but surely not for forever more!? Remember this is a year later for me.

I dont believe I was credit checked at the time by the comparision service or Swinton, only by the people I took the insurance out with.

Comparision sites and possibly swinton will leave a footprint on your credit file to confirm your identity. It will, however not effect your credit rating or file

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Did anybody get any where with this?

I have the same 8 searches from swinton! and I don't give comparisons sites my details. Find the best deal and then go directly to the insurer of choice. Which is not swinton.

I used swinton for insurance 2009-10, and they have kept my details and do a credit search every year! Without my permission and consent, and only with the reason of trying to get new custom. Or build a data base to sell!

This time they have searched my credit file and found my new address and then searched this address 4 times. I would how long till I start receiving mail I don't want.

"Don't give in to astonishment", which is exactly what you want to do. You want to go nuts with how crazy this is! :-)

• 10 months later...

was looking for house insurance ,not with swinton I may add ,was on go compare

swinton showed up in credit search few days later plus a couple of other companies ..

do they not have to pay to carry out these seaches ,if so it must be costing the industry millions ..

was looking for house insurance ,not with swinton I may add ,was on go compare

swinton showed up in credit search few days later plus a couple of other companies ..

do they not have to pay to carry out these seaches ,if so it must be costing the industry millions ..

Just received an email notification alerting me this thread had a new reply.

Mine were soft searches which don't have any effect on your CRF. In my case the search dropped of one year later and no others appear to have been put back on. Mine only showed up on Call-credit, both Equifax and Experian have been devoid of any of these soft searches.

Since I posted this last year, I never enter my 'real' details on any comparison site when checking quotes. Once I find something suitable, I call the insurance company direct and 99% of the time they match or better the quote. Since then, nothing has show up on my files.

Swinton carried on calling me every few weeks, but since the late 90s I've had a premium rate personal number that I use for all such matters, which I no longer use. So I have redirected that to a dead line. I'm now left in peace and Swinton rings a dead line every two weeks.