12 year old incorrect council tax bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have received a letter from BPO collections for a final demand for council tax. It is for a 2.5 year period from 2000-2002. I only rented the property for 3 months. I moved back to my parents afterwards so have no council tax payment proof for the following years. They asked for bank statements but I dont have these and am no longer with the same bank. They dont have any lease agreement in my name and admitted they dont know who owned the property at the time.

They advised me to set up a payment plan to BPO for the three months that I do owe them and when they have proof they will recalculate the bill. I dont want to do this because it will look like I am accepting liability

Can anyone help?

I am afraid you have to prove that you are not liable.

Were you registered for council tax purposes at your parents address?

I don't expect anyone, including me, would have any paper trail after this length of time.

Do you know who you rented the property from?

Do you have anything at all with the 'new adress' at that time - any insurances, payslips or p60's?

The first thing would be to do is write a letter to the issuing council disputing it

You also have an option to send the issuing council a SAR which they would need to send you ALL the information they have on you. This may or may not turn up something.

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)