question about overtime

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

in case you have not noticed i am a postman and had a problem at work thast i need some advice about . we told the manager before we went out we would struggle today and all he sadi was try your best . at nopoint did he say excess (overtime was payable) most people would do it . but we have been told there is no excess and this morning none of them said you could claim excess . subsequently we cut off at finishing time and went to report to a manager who prompty turned round and said go back out and complete or we shall the the conduct code .

My question being is we know sometimes overtime is required and we will do it but as soon as he sadi you will go out or we disapline you i believe he crossed the line in saying this because it made the overtime compulsary ot face damage to your employment

Hi

I have some experience with royal mail, and a few years back postman were being paid set hours and would go home early if they completed their rounds on time. I remember because there was an uproar when management then told them they had to work their contracted hours.

Is that the case here? If not, it really depends on what's reasonable in the circumstances if there's no contract.

if you are unable to complete your delivery you tell a manager before you go out.

you ask him what his instruction are, IE, do you finish and book overtime,or bring it back.

that is all you have to do

if you have completed your duty or run out of time then on return the manager can ask, but not make you go back out

overtime is voluntary, not compulsory

why did you not ask to speak to the IR REP

that is why he is their

Edited by squaddie

if you are unable to complete your delivery you tell a manager before you go out.

you ask him what his instruction are, IE, do you finish and book overtime,or bring it back.

that is all you have to do

if you have completed your duty or run out of time then on return the manager can ask, but not make you go back out

overtime is voluntary, not compulsory

why did you not ask to speak to the IR REP

that is why he is their

well the problem being is we do not have a local rep and the area guy is shall we say too close to the management . i will see what transpires tomorrow sinc ei am not the only one who had problems . also i did work the contracted hours this is about being forced to do overtime on threat of the conduct code

first thing you need to do is contact the CWU union branch secretary

phone the CWU headquarters if you do not have the details

this is all covered in the BT 2010 agreement. the biggest cock up on that was the "flex up clause" by thirty minutes. by flexing you up is against the industrial relations code as their is no provision in the 2007 PAY AND MODERNISATION AGREEMENT TO "BANK HOURS"

THEY CANNOT MAKE YOU, AND I REPEAT, CANNOT MAKE YOU WORK PAST YOUR CONTRACTED HOURS

to take account of larger mail volumes during the week "long and shorts" should have been introduced

IF THEY SAY THEY ARE GOING TO CONDUCT CODE YOU SAY, I WANT TO MAKE A COMPLAINT THROUGH THE BULLYING AND HARASSMANT PROCEDURE

I will come down and represent you if needed

I totally agree, i was senior shop steward for 4 years at my last work place, and i hate bullies, managers with over inflated egos, and companies who now deem it ok to use discilinaries as a way of streamlining their workforces as opposed to redundancies. good luck posty, well done squaddie....

that is what royal mail are doing at the moment

get someone on a trumpt up conduct code issue and out the door rather than pay voluntary redundancy, or ill health retirement to slim down the work force

what makes it worse are managers get a bonus for it

you get people with over inflated egos in all walks of life and i will not tolerate it at the expense of another human being

Well stand up against it, think we can all tell we are all in Tory times.

I am currently challenging the current legislation that only allows an employee the right to a trade union rep (if they belong to a union) or a colleague from the orkplace to represent them. whilst employers are going in armed with HR consultants and the like. Hardly what i call equlaity of arms.

Anyone shuld have the legal to take who they want into represent them.

Posty keep us all updated as t how you are getting on.

Squaddie, you are a legend in my books.

they bite more than they can chew with me

i have a diploma in employment law and belong to the CWU

that is the same union that represents postal workers

most managers in royal mail have not a clue when it comes to the disciplinary and grievance procedure.

i have been to college, they have only just come into a business with no trade union experience behind them

i run rings around them i am proud to say

and lucky for this poster, he has trade union support