• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Gave Sky the 31 days notice to terminate all services yet they will only confirm the BB & phoneline?

Donny909
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As per title we called Sky the other day to give the 31 days notice to terminate all 3 services, thats the TV, BB & phone line\servies. It was made very clear that we wish to terminate all services including the tv. We asked for confirmation that we have yet to receive in the post but we have however had an email confirmation and the actual termination date. And yes, we are outside of the 12 month contract so no issues there.

However, the email only confirms the termination of the broadband, phoneline and phone package. No where in the email does it mention any notice to terminate the tv service as well. Now we dont intend to give another seperate notice to terminate the tv service again as it's already been given, if not confirmed in the email but confirmed on the phone at the time we called to cancel everything for which the call to terminate has been confirmed and proveable via the email.

So what are our rights or the next step we should take if Sky have indeed not took notice to terminate the tv service (funny how thats the part they make most there money on) and may well try to carry on taking payments for it after the end of next month?.

We dont feel we should have to give a seperate or second notice to terminate the tv service if it was not properly processed there end and pay untill a later date than the notice we gave and was confirmed as we gave the notice to terminate everything over the phone due to income reasons. And seeing as we have confirmation of a termination of services (excluding or not mentioning the tv service) via email then there is proof that a call was made to Sky to terminate services. Assumingly they keep the calls, can we ask them to check the details of the call to confirm we gave notice to terminate all services?.

Edited by Donny909

An update of sorts on the issue. We called Sky again last night about the issue and they treated us like we had not yet given notice to terminate the services at first (frustrating to say the least) we had to point out and explain the previous call 2 days earlyer, again having to explain why we are leaving for several minutes and keep telling them no to each offer and incentive they tried to push our way. Again highly frustrating as our notice had already been given and accepted, so to have to go through several minutes of please dont leave and incentive offers to stay etc is highly annoying.

They then confirmed that we had given notice to terminate all services on the tuesday evening but then asked are we sure we also want to cancel the tv as we can keep that. We then pointed out as per the start of the call and the reason for the call that we have had the email confirmation to cancel services and been given a termination date but pointed out the tv service was not confirmed in the termination confirmation email even though in 2 calls it's been confirmed. The reply was that it can take 14 days to confirm a termination notice of services, but we have email confirmation of termination and a date we tell then, we just want to know why that email does not contain the confirmation on the termination of the tv service to as given and confirmed on the phobe twice. They did not know why the email was send or why there was no mention of termination the tv service to, except repeated that we can expect to wait upto 14 days to get that confirmation about the termination including the tv service.

Is it just me or is all this starting to sound a little strange in that they confirm on the phone we gave notice to terminate all services, wont confirm the termination of tv service in an email as requested twice now, try to push the benefit of there tv service when we call a second time several times and again being asked if we really want to terminate the tv service even though we have given that notice and accepted over the phone previously yet there responce seems to indicate or give the impression that they possably have not accepted or confirmed the termination of the tv service at all?.

Do we really have to expect to wait upto 2 weeks to get confirmation in the post on what is only a 31 day notice on what we feel will only confirm what was confirmed in the email, the termination of just the broadband and the phone service

Normally you would automatically receive confirmation of the cancellation via post as well.

Not sure of this one why they won't confirm by email as it it easy achievable by them to so do for a cancellation,

i would though be reassured as you called back to confirm that is has been done

you will prob receive a letter next week confirming it

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

When we handed in our notice to downgrade giving the customary 31days notice, in their wisdom they decided that the notice was from the day that they read the email which was about 5 days later. I pointed out the error of their ways and after much dialogue it was agreed to back date it despite them saying they can't because of computer. They try and manipulate things to their own advantage.

Thanks for the replies, still no confirmation via email or post reguarding the tv service to. Ok, we have untill tuesday of next week (10th) for those 2 weeks to be up with the termination date being the 27th. It's just that it seems strange and rather odd that they would leave it upto 2 weeks before they will confirm something that will terminate a little over 2 weeks after that. What if they dont confirm the tv service to, with only 2 weeks remaining after that?. Wont leave much time to try and get it sorted, then again it wont be our problem as we will not be giving another 31 days notice if there has been a problem there end.

But in all honesty if (as I may be making something out of nothing and may well get confirmation in the next week) we dont get the confirmation by next week I'm then fully expecting sky to deny we gave any notice to cancell the tv service to and for all the information and calls logged to suddenly contain no such confirmation if we receive nothing by then. As my suspicions are based on the inability of sky to confirm we gave notice to terminate the tv service to in an email and during the last call to really try to push us to keep and accept a new deal on the tv services and question if we really want to give notice to cancell that to.

Time will tell I guess, all I know is that come next payment date reguardless we will be cancelling the direct debit for sky anyway.

Well today was the last day to receive the confirmation (14 days from the point of the call) , post has been (which is early for once lol) and nothing off sky at all, no confirmation in the post and nothing via email. Will have to wait untill later or tonight to call them again as my partner is the account holder and is out most of the day and with these things it seems they will only deal with the account holder.

But either way as we have proof of sorts of a partial confirmation via email, if sky as I feel they might do try to deny notice was given, deny notice for the tv service was given, say yeah all fine dont worry about the confirmation the "system" confirms the notice etc yet still try to take future money out (as seems they have in the past with others via a search here) just where would we stand?.

i am assuming this termination is due to the price increase?

I called sky today because of £1.50 price increase, directly through to "thinking of leaving us?" option... and as soon as she asked how can i help you, i went straight to the point "I am calling to cancel all services as im not happy with a £1.50 price increase, whilst still in contract!"

she added a 12 month recurring 1.50 credit to my account to offset. but then went onto say "But you do realise, Even if i didnt add the credit, there isnt a lot you could do with this situation since your still in contract?"

now given my current problem with Orange, I know that a price increase during a fixed term contract is contrary to the UTCCR 1999. So i told her "Oh yea there is, as due to the UTCCR 1999 legislation, if you alter the terms of a contract, and attempt to fix me to such a contract it is against current uk legislation"

she then attempted to argue her point with me to which i said "well look at it this way, since your giving me a £1.50 credit, there isnt a problem... but would you want to loose a customer paying £66/month for services? Refuse to give me the £1.50 credit and we will see who wins... But as you give me the credit... Theres absolutely no need to argue is there?"

Its a shame really... It could of been such a good conversation, and very pleasant customer service experience... if not for her attempt to argue a "point" with me... After resolving my problem...