style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wonder if somebody could give me some advice, please?

Last year I split from my husband and moved overseas to get away from it all.

I owe around 10K of money to various lenders - had a payment plan sorted with them (managed DMP) when I was in the UK.

But due to the relationship breakdown I had to get away, quickly. I have now got myself sorted and I want to continue paying my creditors but the DMP company say that unless I can pay £50 a month they cannot help me further.

Here's the thing.... I am only working part-time and cannot afford to pay anything to my debt (not even a token payment) as the money I earn only just covers my living expenses (rent, food etc).

This debt is playing on my mind and I wonder what I can do about it. Should I write to the companies and tell them? I am hoping to find full time work in due course but that is very difficult.....

I don't envisage ever returning to the UK and wonder what would happen to the debt if - in time - I was only able to pay a token payment. I am living in an European country.

Any help you could give would be much appreciated.

Last year I split from my husband and moved overseas to get away from it all.
Are your creditors aware of your location?

but the dmp company say that unless I can pay £50 a month they cannot help me further.
You do not need their service & unless it was one of the charitable ones a percentage of what you have paid they will have kept in fees. There is nothing they can do that you can't do yourself.

This debt is playing on my mind and I wonder what I can do about it.
It is nothing you should worry about, there is always a solution to every problem & civil debt in the grand scheme of things should be the least of anyone's worries. ;)
I don't envisage ever returning to the UK and wonder what would happen to the debt if - in time
If no payment or written acknowledgement is made towards a debt for a period of six years it becomes Statute Barred & the creditor cannot take any action.

What are these debts & roughly how much?

Have any unfair charges or PPI been included in any of them?

Are your creditors aware of your location? - No - but I wouldn't put it past my dumb ex to give my address to them to spite me...:!:

You do not need their service & unless it was one of the charitable ones a percentage of what you have paid they will have kept in fees. There is nothing they can do that you can't do yourself. - Thank you!

It is nothing you should worry about, there is always a solution to every problem & civil debt in the grand scheme of things should be the least of anyone's worries. ;)If no payment or written acknowledgement is made towards a debt for a period of six years it becomes Statute Barred & the creditor cannot take any action. Thank you again.... I pride myself on being responsible and accoutable, and if I say I can't pay then it's as simple as that :wink:

What are these debts & roughly how much? Credit Card (HSBC) 4K, Vanquis 1K, Cap 1 £500, Catalogue 2K

Have any unfair charges or PPI been included in any of them? Nope - I went through that when I did the DMP

• 5 months later...

last year my marriage broke down and I moved to abroad.

I had some debt in the UK which I couldn't afford to pay as I was only earning a small wage - not even enough to live on.

I was supposed to write to my creditors to explain the situation but (I am ashamed of this) I didn't :|...

Now I have decided to come back to the UK, because I just cannot live like a pauper in a foreign country...

I do not want to ignore my debts (around 6K).

But I do not have a job when I come back to the UK (a situation I will try to remedy as soon as I can) so I am in the same situation as before, but I will write to them this time.

My questions are these...

What kind of response will I get after almost a year of inaction on my part, how do I start the letters - what is the content I put in the letters??

I am lost and so scared of court action, CCJ, prison etc...

Hi Big.

While you're waiting have a good look around the CAG library for some examples of letters you can send to your creditors.

Also have a look around the forums for similar stories to your won.

Don't worry as there will be lots of help and advice for you here.

How long have you been out of the UK ?

When was the last time you made payment to any of your debts ?

Until you put yourself back on the Electoral roll or apply for credit, then it is unlikely any of your creditos will know where you are ?

Not advocating debt avoidance, however, if any of your debts have remained unpaid or acknowledged for more than 6 years then they will have become statute barred.

You might want to check trustonline to see if, in your absence, any CCJs have been awarded against you.

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/

It will cost you £2.00 .

You will need to search the register for your last UK address.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You cannot go to prison for civil debt.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

best idea is get a copy of your CRA file

noddle is free see below

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

How long have you been out of the UK ? I've been out of the UK for 9 months.

When was the last time you made payment to any of your debts ? I had a DMP with my ex-husband he split everything and is only paying his side of things (rightly so). I last made a payment (when we had the combined DMP) last August.

Until you put yourself back on the Electoral roll or apply for credit, then it is unlikely any of your creditos will know where you are ? Good to know - thanks, it may give me some much needed breathing space to get myself back together - because frankly I'm a mess.

Not advocating debt avoidance, however, if any of your debts have remained unpaid or acknowledged for more than 6 years then they will have become statute barred.

You might want to check trustonline to see if, in your absence, any CCJs have been awarded against you.

It will cost you £2.00 .

You will need to search the register for your last UK address.

Thanks!

Thank you for your help everybody... I feel slightly better now, knowing that I have a little time to sort myself out.

get your cra too

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You might want to have a read of the following and then contact one of the agencies mentioned..

If you are experiencing difficulty in repaying your debts, CASHflow is a way for you to negotiate affordable repayments with your creditors. Before you can use CASHflow, you must have spoken to one of the free advice agencies licensed to offer CASHflow to their clients. The advice agency will start by talking to you about all of the options available, and can help you to decide if CASHflow is the right one for you.

If you decide to use CASHflow, you will be provided with all of the tools you need to be able to complete your own financial statement and negotiate offers of repayment with creditors yourself. This will enable you to stay in control of your situation, but still have support from an adviser at any stage if you need it.

You can contact a local advice agency to check if they offer CASHflow. You can find a list of free advice agencies that are near to you by searching for a money adviser in England or Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.

Alternatively, you can call National Debtline on 0808 808 4000

CASHflow: http://www.cashflow.uk.net/

National Debtline: http://www.nationaldebtline.co.u k/

https://www.mymoneysteps.org/

Also as highlighted in the CAG newsletter...

There is the new CAB system that might also be worth a look, this system saves all your details, has guidance allowance figures to work with if you wish and you do not need to be invited / signed off etc with this system, just log in and away you go (see below)

(Also, there are a number of other self help tools and systems around so might be worth a little exploration if this is what you eventually decide on.)

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/

http://mymoney.nedcab.org.uk/moneyadvice/ (example of completed dmp)

BCOBS

• 9 months later...

Good morning... I hope somebody can help?

I am due to sign on soon and the last time I did I started getting loads of hassing letters from my creditors (I am paying them a holding amount of £1 per month until I get myself back on my feet). The letters stopped after my parents took me off the electoral roll (as I'm not living there) but I'm moving back soon and I don't want my elderly parents worried by letters and god forbit balifs knocking at the door.

Was it a coincidence that the letters started arriving after I signed on or do the debt collection agencies get their information from the government???

If it does start again... What do I do?

Arrrr!!

Government departments such as HMRC and DWP now use the credit reference agencies and debt collection agencies for the pursuit of debts such as overpayments of benefit and income tax debts.

I don't think the is access to the benefit files by DCAs otherwise.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

Some help please if possible...

A year ago and negotiated a payment plan with my creditors.

Recently though, due to ill health I've had to give up work (more forced out, but that's a whole different story!)

I've not paid enough National Insurance to get ESA and my other half is working so income based is a non starter too....

I don't have any money coming in (apart from what my other half gives me to run the house).

How do I tell my creditors that this is the case and due to ill health I have no idea when I will be able to get another job....I do want to carry on paying - but I just can't right now!

Many thanks in advance.

Hi please list your debts with dates/last payments/type of debt/default dates and so on

It will also help if you can tell us if the debts are still owed by the original creditor or have been assigned/sold to a Debt Collection Agency (DCA) are you receiving "demands" for payment if so from whom and so on

We need some history to be able to advise you better

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Hi - here goes:

Compello (was HSBC Loan) £8.30

Lowell (was O2) £2.50

Lowell (was Vanquis) £1.70

MCS (was HSBC) £0.70

UK Search (was JD Williams) £3.90

I got all these after my marriage broke down and I (obviously) took what was owed by myself.

Compello (was HSBClink3.gif Loan) £8.30 you need to CCA these

Lowell (was O2) £2.50

Lowell (was Vanquis) £1.70 you need to CCA these

MCS (was HSBC) £0.70 If a credit card you need to CCA these

UK Search (was JD Williams) £3.90 you need to CCA these

Your template for the CCA is here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974

Enclose a blank £1-00 PO reference number to the rear, get proof of postage and keep safe, they then have just 12+2 days to send you a copy of the credit agreement.

Please also remember to stay off of the phone unless you are recording the call and keep everything in writing only

Can you also list the last payment dates to them all

Also since you have more than one you should start a thread for that debt in the named forum as well.

To start threads look here for them click the "start new thread" button post up as much as you can see below

JD Williams http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?235-Mail-order-catalogues

O2 here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?115-Telecoms-mobile-or-fixed

Vanquis here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?341-Provident-and-associated-companies.

HSBC here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?10-HSBC-Bank

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

CCA is not suitable for an overdraft sadly.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 5 years later...

I had a lot of debt a few years ago following my first marriage break down (I’m not going to ask if you remember me!).

I had a big success in winning in court against  Hoist Portfolio and I got costs awarded

I am still paying debts back that were ‘proved’ - however there were 3 that were never proved by some DCA or another. All old debts fell off my Credit Report a couple of years ago - I’ve even been able to get a mortgage since then. 

I've started getting letters from Lowell’s over the 3 debts that the previous DCA didn’t (or couldn’t) prove. 

I don’t know whether to send a prove it letter or a statute barred letter or just ignore them. 

Grateful for some advice, please. 

Firstly let me apologise for my previous post.... I got confused and in my panic...

I am being chased by Lowell for the following debts (and current status):

O2 - £858.92 (did a SAR to O2 back in 2015 and they couldn’t provide the contract or usage as it was nearly 5-years old then. I have a letter from Lowell’s stating that the account will remain on hold until they have the documents..... never received anything)

Vanquis - £1148.80 - original contract date 15/09/2010 (did all the prove it and asking for contract etc back in 2015, which they did and I have been paying them £2.10 a month since (approx 5 years).

JD Williams - £1817.92 - original contract date 04/02/2010 (did all the prove it etc asking for contract etc back in 2015 which they did and I’ve been paying them £3.20 a month since).

Capital One card via Cabot - all same as above but been paying them £0.50 a month since. 

I’ve had a phone call (asking for me in my maiden name (not known here etc) and been getting a steady stream of letters since. So my question is this:

What do I do? I’ve been paying them. I used to get annual statements but I’ve not had one for a while (and never from Cabot as far as I remember).

These debts are no longer on my credit file and I’ve even been able to get a mortgage in the last couple of years. 

well whatever you do 

you never send a pointless prove it letter

update us and post here when you've sorted out the issue your reported post was about.

and they