expensive photoshoot - need to escape - told cannot cancel - HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hello all my cousin went for a photo shoot yesterday and paid £50 deposit to have a cd of pictures on, and to pay £79 a month for 12 months,

however her husband has just gone pysco and she has to get rid of them, it says on the agreement she signed that its non cancellable so where does she stand??

i just called the place for her and explained but the manager isnt there so they cant do anything tonight, she wants to post the cd and agreement back to them and cancell everything, or her husband will go mental at her, he has already taken her bank card off her

i want to hepl her cause i know what he can go like, but dont know how to or what rights she has,

thanks for your help

i'm pretty sure any contract can be cancelled within 7 days.

matters not what 'their' agreement says

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

there are exceptions, like that example yes.

ruddy expensive photoshoot!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

not exactly my ballgame

i'll alert the thread for you.

dx

and they

Hi Sammy,

If you want help with this, we need to know the T&C's of the agreement or contract.

Do you know the name of the photo company that's involved.

There could be other cases here on CAG about them.

:wink:

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Sorry, legally they are hers and she cannot return them.

The contract was agreed; there was consensus in service and consideration, then performed, and now its only the payment that has not been made.

Even had this been covered by the distance selling regulations (which it wasn't as mentioned above), there would have been no come back as the photographs are very much a bespoke item, and personalised items are excluded from the DSR (for fairly obvious reasons).

Its not really as if after spending the time to take and present the pictures, that if rejected they could then be sold onto the next young girl who came in. Additionally, I would suspect it could also be argued that being on a disk it would be possible to draw parallels with the pictures and software, so returning the disk could still mean the she was in possession of the images.

Her only legal way out would be to reject the pictures on quality grounds, although nothing has been mentioned to suggest there are any issues as such.

I would also suspect many people would try to back out of this afterwards given the price, so the studio is likely to have well established procedures in how they deal with it.

Her best bet would be to go in and tell them she has lost her job, and is now no longer able to afford to pay them - other than that I can suggest nothing else.

Sorry.

I should add I find the price scary! How many pictures were in the portfolio and by any chance is the photographer's next to a pub?

Edited by Bang!

I looked up to see what Adee Phelan is. He did David Beckham's hair, and one or the salons has a grand piano next to the chairs! The only other thing I could see was he seems to have quite a charitable nature, so perhaps the "job lost" approach directly to Phelan himself may be your best hope.

hi there oh crap!

she has sent them back with a letter eplaining her situation, will just have to wait and see now,

no it wasnt next to a pub i think there was 80 pictures in total

• 1 month later...

hi all

i have recieved a letter from a company called 'oriel collections'

i have only been contacting them by email, and they are now threatening court and ccj against me!

they havnt said anymore, i dont even have the items anymore as i sent them back with a letter as above and have never heard anything back till this company contacted me, and ive never heard of them

what do i do now? has anyone heard off these?

thank you i feel sick now with worry

hi all if any one could help it would be much appreciated.

cut a long story short- i had photo shoot when i got home found out id lost my job, called the studio (adee phelan) to cancel the agreement and to return the disk of pics but was told the manager was gone, so i explained to her and wrote a letter and sent them straight back in the post, i never heard nothing off them.

then a few days ago i received a letter from a company called 'oriel collections' i emailed them a reply as i dont have a phone at the mo and there reply was a threat of court action and ccj against me!

i have never heard of them, and feel sick with worry,

and im not paying £1000 for something i dont have (not even the free one i was entitled to)

i am angry that the studio never contacted me i spoke with the same girl on 3 separate occasions they had my phone no (i did have a phone at that time)

thanks in advance any guidance is appreciated x

Yes heard of them, and like all DCA's they have no legal rights whatsoever, these lot are another 'no win no fee' outfit, so they don't gets paid anything if they fail to collect.

So ignore them.

Your dispute is with the Photography studio.

You could write to them and ask them what they think they are playing at, Don't call them, keep everything in writing or email.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

ignore they are a very very lowlife DCA

dx

and they

Sorry, legally they are hers and she cannot return them.

The contract was agreed; there was consensus in service and consideration, then performed, and now its only the payment that has not been made.

Even had this been covered by the distance selling regulations (which it wasn't as mentioned above), there would have been no come back as the photographs are very much a bespoke item, and personalised items are excluded from the DSR (for fairly obvious reasons).

Its not really as if after spending the time to take and present the pictures, that if rejected they could then be sold onto the next young girl who came in. Additionally, I would suspect it could also be argued that being on a disk it would be possible to draw parallels with the pictures and software, so returning the disk could still mean the she was in possession of the images.

Her only legal way out would be to reject the pictures on quality grounds, although nothing has been mentioned to suggest there are any issues as such.

I would also suspect many people would try to back out of this afterwards given the price, so the studio is likely to have well established procedures in how they deal with it.

Her best bet would be to go in and tell them she has lost her job, and is now no longer able to afford to pay them - other than that I can suggest nothing else.

Sorry.

I should add I find the price scary! How many pictures were in the portfolio and by any chance is the photographer's next to a pub?

Bang is spot on with the legal position, and if I may say, very well explained. The company has performed its part of the contract, now the poster has to perform theirs; i.e.pay. Unless of course, the photos are of substandard quality, or not what was agreed. I don't think there's any Judge who would not award a CCJ. Doesn't matter whether the disk is returned or not, the company has provided their part of the contract, what the buyer does with the photos/disk is immaterial, the company has spent their time and money in producing them, the buyer's consideration is executory (to be performed later) and has to be performed. Possession is irrelevant (unless they hadn't been delivered in the first place)

Edited by rameses_qc

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

thanks for the replies, it is fo my cousin but she uses my email,

so im not sure what to advise her to do now? she blatentley refuses to pay for something she doesnt have, and they wasnt photoshoped/airbrushed as promised she wasnt overly impressed with them but they were nice enough she said.

so what would you suggest i advise her?

Hi Sammy,

It's no good you phoning the studio to discuss this. Everything must be in writing only.

You need to write to the studio setting out any complaint that you have.

However, you can't complain about :-

1. The price, which you agreed and signed for.

2. The fact that you returned the photos (unless the T&C's specifically allow this within a limited period, which I doubt).

If you have no reasonable complaint, then you should try to arrange a payment schedule with the studio based on your current income and expenditure.

Otherwise, you may find the studio or DCA takes this matter to court.

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I wouldn't bother with the DA at all; they're just nothing and irrelevant. Contact the studio direct. However, for the reasons given earlier, paymnet is due unless you rejected the goods as not up to standard, but this seems not to be the case. The only hope now is an instalment plan of some sort, which is why I say contact the studio. DCAs will rip you off as a matter of course. That's what they do.

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

I agree with most of the above.

A contract was entered into and (we assume) the cost was explained.

The photos were taken and the work done.

Its irrelevant returning the CD, the cost was in taking the photos, the cost of a CD is about 3p.

I cant really think of anyway to get out of this unless somehow the contract is less than cklear and that somehow the person was presuurised or tricked into entering the contract or that the finished product is not as stipulated in the contract and/or is somehow sub-stanadrd.

I suspect if this went to court, there would be no real defence and the judge would have to decide in the photo company's favour.

Andy