style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2722 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

im hoping somebody out there can shed some light on an issue a friends of mines girlfriend seems to be having in regards to "Self Employment"

i`ll try keep this as breif as possible

my friends girlfriend was short of money and saw an advertisement in the local paper in regards to

a job working from home

the job description was "people required work around your own schedule"

she rang for the job and subsequently was hired

that same day the business owner showed up with a peice of printed paper

basically saying

"You Are Self Employed and are NOT employed by (business name here)

he got her to sign this paper at the bottom but he failed to sign it himself

since she started this job hes incrased the work load by quite a lot

and is paying her £4.50 per hour

my question is what can i do to help her as if she is self employed what proof of this would she need for tax/N.I contributions

as the way i see it he dictates the work load and pay and provides no payslips

surely she cannot be self employed?

my apologys if this post is in the wrong forum but i want to help her get some answers

Its sounding like an attempt to circumvent employers responsibilities such as, minimum wage, holidays, sick pay, NI contributions and paperwork.

'Welcome to the black ecomony' if she really needs the money so much she cannot walk away.

i must admit when i heard about how this is run it just didnt sound right to me at all

im guessing there is not a lot that can be done in regards to the situation shes in right now?

I would suggest your girlfriend uses the employment status indicator (ESI) on HMRC website... Just put ESI in the search box on HMRC website.

This will give her some idea of her employment status as a starting point.

Gbarbm

If she works from home it's looking more like a self employed job than employed, hmrc have a good guide, it helped me.