Laid off - feel depressed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, I am new to this forum,and last week I was layed off from work which I loved so much, now after one week today I have already applied 5 jobs, the problem is I fill so cheap, can't even go outside because I am so depressed:sad:

Hello - I will move your thread to the Employment forums - where you will find others in the same situation.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Raj welcome to the forum.

You will need to expand somewhat as to what you think the problem is. Your post is very brief and i am not surprised you have not had any replies yet. Please can you tell us why you were laid off. The circumstances may help us, please include your length of service and any other factual matter you know about.

Is the fact you are depressed related to the laying off? If it is is there any inclination of discrimination? Again knowing more will help us to understand.

Depression can come in many forms, being laid off will no doubt not make you happy, but perhaps that will pass as you find more employment. being clinically depressed is something else again and may need medical help and treatment. You have to decide if you need to see your GP.

Hi Raj welcome to the forum.

You will need to expand somewhat as to what you think the problem is. Your post is very brief and i am not surprised you have not had any replies yet. Please can you tell us why you were laid off. The circumstances may help us, please include your length of service and any other factual matter you know about.

Is the fact you are depressed related to the laying off? If it is is there any inclination of discrimination? Again knowing more will help us to understand.

Depression can come in many forms, being laid off will no doubt not make you happy, but perhaps that will pass as you find more employment. being clinically depressed is something else again and may need medical help and treatment. You have to decide if you need to see your GP.

Hello my thanks for a warm welcome:wink:

Two weeks ago I was made redundant from my work place as a supervisor:!: (sorry I rather not say as we left in good terms)

What got me into depression was the manner I was chosen:noidea:, with the quality of performance of my work, I have been with the company for seven years, and in them years never took a sick day always on time or earlier.

I was the only top target meeting performer out of all of the London sites which my company manages, my supervisors skills were perfect(Even they said it), always got on my job never ever complained took everything on my chin also worked longerhours ,never asked to be paid.:|

I loved my job so much even with extra work thrown in I just got on with it:-D. Then three weeks ago I was given a letter saying I am been redundant on the...................with a small pay off which will see me off for a few months ,ever since I’ve gone into depression and lost a lot of weight.:-x

Yesterday as I was going to the dole office I had to turn back as I felt like a scrounger because I have never ever claimed a single penny from tax payer in my thirty seven years of working life.

This is what thank you I got,does any companies cares, what this country now needs is hard working people.:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

So friends can anyone offerme advice what to do, as I am VERY DEPRESSED!!! OR IS IT I AM OVER 50-54:|

Thank you very much

Depressed Raj111:rant:

Edited by Raj111

Was there a consultation process and fair selection procedure?

I can't see that the employer is responsible for your depression, you must see you GP. You must also apply for ESA whilst seeking new employment. You have paid into the system all those years there is no dishonour in applying for the support you are entitled to, far from it that is why the system of benefits are in place.

RaJ, when you have given over a good portion of your life to a job that is then no more, you are bound to feel cast adrift.

Why should you feel like a scrounger? You certainly have no reason to, on top of which, that is why you have paid tax and insurance to cover an eventuality such as this. Although one always hopes that they will never have to collect.

You certainly need to speak to your GP about your depression - they might be able to arrange some counselling sessions, to help you get through this difficult period.

You have left on good terms with your ex employer, so you will have no problems with references.

Perhaps in between times of looking for future employment, you could sort out a few DIY jobs that have been left because of your previous work commitments, maybe some gardening:)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Was there a consultation process and fair selection procedure?

I can't see that the employer is responsible for your depression, you must see you GP. You must also apply for ESA whilst seeking new employment. You have paid into the system all those years there is no dishonour in applying for the support you are entitled to, far from it that is why the system of benefits are in place.

Hi, Regarding to consulting process and fair selection procedure,It has happened on a different site few weeks back, a agency bloke who was the contract support mangers friend he then went to the supervisor's training and was made a supervisor with then his friend following him to the same site to become his assistant,while the origin supervisor on that site for five years was promoted,and his assistant dispatched to my site.:|

Today I had the courage to go to the dole office after replying your post:-D,and done all the necessity paper work required and got an appointment on Friday morning.

Raj111

rebel11

Re: Layed off - feel depressed

I've amended thread

title

Thank you

RaJ, when you have given over a good portion of your life to a job that is then no more, you are bound to feel cast adrift.

Why should you feel like a scrounger? You certainly have no reason to, on top of which, that is why you have paid tax and insurance to cover an eventuality such as this. Although one always hopes that they will never have to collect.

You certainly need to speak to your GP about your depression - they might be able to arrange some counselling sessions, to help you get through this difficult period.

You have left on good terms with your ex employer, so you will have no problems with references.

Perhaps in between times of looking for future employment, you could sort out a few DIY jobs that have been left because of your previous work commitments, maybe some gardening:)

I have a appointment with the GP next week:oops:

As you mention regarding to DIY, I have just found out that I need doing loads to fix to my flat without a garden.

Raj111

So are you saying that you were made redundant but that another person was made a supervisor and given your job. Forgive me but you are not explaining it very clearly

\

No.. what I said was.. this person from the agency was given the supervisor's roll on a different site. :|

My position is still vacant:shock:

Hi Raj, sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time at the moment. Persistence in your job hunting will pay off even if it does take a while. I would have had no problems employing someone in your age range in previous companies, although companies shouldn't be discriminating on age grounds anyway. It's all about having experience, a "can do" attitude and dedication to your company, all of which you seem to be able to demonstrate anyway. I would get yourself on the agency books (if you haven't already), turn up in a suit when you meet them, and at the very least be ringing your contact (at each agency) once a week (if not more regularly) to see if they have any work for you.You need to remind them of your existence unfortunately, as they will be dealing with lots of candidates, some of which will not be very memorable. I would also consider temporary roles rather than just permanent work, as when times are bad employers will test out people on an agency basis first, and then offer the permanent contracts. Make sure you have updated your CV, and ask the agencies for feedback on how to make it look better. You might also want to consider getting on a course at a local college to learn a new skill, which will probably be subsidised if you are on benefits, and that will be another string to your bow. Hope this has been of help, and really wish you all the best in the job hunt.

No.. what I said was.. this person from the agency was given the supervisor's roll on a different site. :|

My position is still vacant:shock:

Normally positions are made redundant, do you suspect any other reason for your redundancy?????

Hi Raj, sorry to hear that you are going through a difficult time at the moment. Persistence in your job hunting will pay off even if it does take a while. I would have had no problems employing someone in your age range in previous companies, although companies shouldn't be discriminating on age grounds anyway. It's all about having experience, a "can do" attitude and dedication to your company, all of which you seem to be able to demonstrate anyway. I would get yourself on the agency books (if you haven't already), turn up in a suit when you meet them, and at the very least be ringing your contact (at each agency) once a week (if not more regularly) to see if they have any work for you.You need to remind them of your existence unfortunately, as they will be dealing with lots of candidates, some of which will not be very memorable. I would also consider temporary roles rather than just permanent work, as when times are bad employers will test out people on an agency basis first, and then offer the permanent contracts. Make sure you have updated your CV, and ask the agencies for feedback on how to make it look better. You might also want to consider getting on a course at a local college to learn a new skill, which will probably be subsidised if you are on benefits, and that will be another string to your bow. Hope this has been of help, and really wish you all the best in the job hunt.

Hi many thanks,

As you mention about agency , I 've heard bad things about them... like as sending you everywhere/everyday as they please, I had quit a few of them when I was a supervisor,as they had no choice because they had to send money back home to feed their famlies.

I do not want go on that route,:evil:unless I am very desparate,as for my CV I am seeing a friend tommorow:whoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,its really been a struggle for the past weeks,I must have applied nearly over twenty five jobs.

Been all over the place,and today I was offered a job,with walking a distance from where i live.:whoo:

Before I accept there offer by next Friday, I would like you nice people on here to look ak at the wages offered to me:

Hours: 4 on 4 off= 7am-7pm:-( at the end job is a job

Salary: £13,520 plus 10% bonus after 6 months

As with the bonus I only get if my performance is up to there standards,so I make it under minimum wage before bonus,Is it right?:???:

Many thanks

Raj, you would need to find what the minimum wage is first - but hey congratulations on the job offer :)

I guess the good points are: -

That you wont have to spend time travelling

You might even receive a tax rebate :)

BCOBS

Raj, you would need to find what the minimum wage is first - but hey congratulations on the job offer :)

I guess the good points are: -

That you wont have to spend time travelling

You might even receive a tax rebate :)

Many thanks

The minimum is £6.08 according to my calculation it comes out as under £5.89 without bonus,and that's not guarantee,will go some digging out.

Yes.. just round the conner from where I live,saving a whopping £150 a month on fuel traveling from my previous job:-D

How am I entitle to recice a tax rebate:?:

If you have paid tax in your previous employment, since April 6th this year. For every week, you are unemployed then you have overpaid tax because it is based on you earning the same amount each week.

BCOBS

Thank you very much, My previous employer is still in possessing of my P45 and will be forwarded to me on the 20 July,by that time I might be employed,still waiting for the written conformation of employment

Yep, as soon as you receive the P45 you should give it to your new employer - Until that has been handed over I think you will probably be paying emergency tax - any overpayment will be returned.

BCOBS

Hi everyone,its really been a struggle for the past weeks,I must have applied nearly over twenty five jobs.

Been all over the place,and today I was offered a job,with walking a distance from where i live.:whoo:

Before I accept there offer by next Friday, I would like you nice people on here to look ak at the wages offered to me:

Hours: 4 on 4 off= 7am-7pm:-( at the end job is a job

Salary: £13,520 plus 10% bonus after 6 months

As with the bonus I only get if my performance is up to there standards,so I make it under minimum wage before bonus,Is it right?:???:

Many thanks

Hi all,

Just an update,I had a email this morning from HR department regarding my quire and that's what I got:

Dear Mr ....

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our vacancy for a.....................

You are right in your calculations regarding the salaryshown on the advert. Although it is below the NMW I am pleased to confirmthat it is indeed incorrect.

We do appreciate you bringing it to our attention. This will be corrected in due course and we will notify you when we have doneso.

Regards

UNBELIEVABLE!!:jaw:

Oh well done -:thumb:

BCOBS