ASDA Car insurance - incorrect details on policy....noticed after crash!!! HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3240 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I crashed my car - unfortunately totally my fault. Called my insurers, got recovered. All great!

Then I got home and looked through my policy, this is when I noticed that my car reg no is correct, the car make is correct, part of the model is correct but the year of reg and the sub model are wrong....

What should I do? Do I call the insurance co and tell them? Or is it not a big issue? I'm now so worried I'm not insured I feel sick :|

Not helped by the fact my cars now in recovery and the guy I hit got out of his car holding his neck! And I've read some reviews on the IC that are less than favourable. I'm in fear this is going to cost me a lot!

I also now know I should have been more vigilant on checking my CN (checked reg no. & start date) but at the time I didn't have the car or the log book in my possession (I was getting it in the next cpl of weeks and just wanted everything in place)

Bit of purchase backgroud...

When I brought this policy, I was just about to go ahead with a DL quote but was called on the back of a comparison site search asking me if they could try and do cheaper. So I agreed, ASDA coming closest but not beating DL. The caller said if I spoke with Asda direct they might be able to lower it even more. So through to Asda I go, give all my details again and the chap says he can go lower than DL not by much but still cheaper. I agreed and brought the policy there and then. To finalise this deal he had to have his supervisor authorise it and it went through no problems....till now!

When ever I use my reg number to look for insurance/tyres/parts ect the details come up spot on so I don't think this is a database error rather a definite human error. I've just checked my old quote from DL (Done totally online) and its details are perfect.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out..

Edited by Goo_goo

I suppose that there is a chance they may use this to wriggle out of their responsibilities - but they have no real basis for doing so. It was an innocent mistake and it doesn't affect the risk because the type and ize of the car they agreed to insure is correct.

However rather than let them find out accidentally - I would bring it to their attention. Not only that, make it clear that it is their error and give them a copy of the original quote to show them.

If they give you any problem then come back here

Agree. Not a big problem, but you need to get the policy information corrected, as your reg no. may be showing as not Insured on the MID database the Police use to see if Insured or not.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

unusal error as insurance companies check model, type etc. using the reg you give them when ask for quote. and you have to confirm as correct.

However the most the year could be out is three months, so doubt it will matter unless model spec is wildly out such as engine size etc.

Hi Again,

The first reg date is out by 2 years! Think this will make a difference? I didn't think to check the spec of the erroneous model, will do that now...

I didn't sleep a wink last night and have still not called them JIC I cause more hassle

But now I've read your replies I feel slightly better. Regarding the MID I have checked and I'm insured but again the model name is incorrect, the model No. and Reg No are fine. I also taxed the carl and I've had no comeback from that....

Cant believe I'm actually in this situation over around £30 (If that) difference in premium....Lesson kids, cheaper ain't always better!

Thanks for your help x

Edited by Goo_goo

Exactly my thinking Ray but might they not say I didn't check my docs properly or something similar to get out of paying. I just checked the specs of the 2 cars n have become even more confused. But from what I can see (& I'm no car expert) the difference is purely on the outside....Any more for any more before I give these guys a call? So scared!! lol

PS....I was right I'm no expert. The older model is actually a 2.0 when mines a 1.8....Too confusing...I'm feeling a bad vibe about all this

Edited by Goo_goo

Sounds like a fault of your Insurers. It would not show as Insured, if the document you have is correct. At some point the Insurers have keyed in the correct reg no. and this is why it is showing on MID. Or are there two cars driving around with confused identity ?

Suggest that you speak to your Insurers about the documents that they have issued being incorrect.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Ok thanks unc's!

Just 1 more thing....Where do I stand with this legally. What if I am now uninsured? What will happen to this claim and any cost arising from a 'whiplash' claim? If they cancel on me will I be able to get insurance in the future?

I have tried entering the reg number in many diff forms...adding a 2/5 changing possible misheard letters (p's for t's ect) and not once does one come up as even the make of my car, if at all. All I can assume is someone overrode a system to offer me a cheap quote on an older car?? Is that possible? wow?!?

Also never had this issue with the last policy on the car...so confused ID ...I dunno?? Grrrr

Really appreciate all your views/opinions - Ta

Stop getting into a state about this. I think you are perhaps just still in shock after the accident and are just panicking.

You will feel much better, after you have spoken to the Insurers, to find out why the information is showing incorrectly on the documents. Advise them that you have keyed your correct reg. no in on the MID and it is showing as Insured, so don't understand why some of the documents are incorrect.

Just do that, as there is no point adding any more posts about the fears that you have.