Matt39042000 vs First Direct

matt39042000
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6364 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sent off a request for details of charges over the past 6 years and got a very polite reply saying there was no charge for the service, about a week later received my bundle of statements, drew up a spreadsheet which came to £2155, the total all charges going back 6 years minus the £12 "reasonable" charges on each occasion. Didn't bother claiming the interest. Sent a request for refund letter on October 2nd, giving them 7 days to refund the charges. Today got a letter saying they were sorry I'd had cause to complain and that someone would reply within 10 days. I have noticed that other people have given them 14 days to refund, the template I used said 7 (it was from another site), no one else seems to have had this holding response, have I done something wrong ?

The other thing that concerns me is the possibility of them closing my account, I'm prepared to put up with the hassle of moving my account for the sake of 2 grand, but I have a good credit record, and there seems to be an implication that if they close the account it will seriosuly affect my credit rating, is this true ?

Hi Matt.

These are all my opinions, but I believe them to be accurate:

1) You've done nowt wrong. They took a full 14 days or possibly more to reply to me, and then it was standard template letters all the way. They even sent 2 in 2 days (both offering about 66% of my claim), which a cynic might claim was an attempt to confuse me as my rejection answer crossed in the post between the two. Stick with it, you'll get what you're owed.

2) They didn't close my account. My understanding is that if they do you have a legitimate claim with the banking ombudsman. I've actually returned to FD as I'm now about to pursue the One Account for my charges unlawfully taken - that's a tad more sensitive as it's my mortgage as well, so I'm moving that first. But no, they shouldn't close it, and if they do, you should ensure maximum negative publicity for them ;)

Matt.

Did you only claim the difference betwen the actual charge and £12.00 ?

Most people have been claiming the full amount, the £12.00 issue was only the OFT saying that £12.00 was most they would expect to see.

In effect no one has said that even £12.00 is lawful or reasonable.

Personally i would and have claimed the lot.

I love the smell of banks coughing up refunds early in the morning

• 3 weeks later...

Yep I only claimed the difference.

Anyhow they have got back to me with a standard "we don't belive our charges are unenforcable - see your account terms and conditions". Strangely they have quoted me as asking for £2,724, when I have only claimed £2,155. I'm going to send the LBA today, registered post, using my original figure.

• 4 weeks later...

Update and question

After issuing my claim using the online process I recieved a letter from FDs solicitors offering me an amount slightly below my claim and without including my court charges, plus a request to sign a confidentiality agreement. I really don't want to settle for less than the full amount, and plus my court fees I will be light by around £300 from my total claim - anyone been here before or have any advice ?

Forget the confidentiality agreement - I don't know why they're even trying this anymore as everyone who posts on here seems to have crossed it out and had no problems getting the same amount. Also haven't seen anyone yet who has been offered any less than the full amount before it gets to court, so I'd reject the offer and hang out for the rest. That's what I'll be doing anyway!

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10