Who should deal with accident/insurance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies in advance, this is a bit complicated!

Daughter took out insurance on a car she believed her (now ex) partner owned. He was a named driver on the insurance policy.

They separated a short while ago and as he is going abroad for a few months they agreed that she would keep the insurance going until he went away. Insurance cancelled from Sunday when he goes away, but unfortunately he had accident on Saturday (car shunts him from behind, pushing him into car in front). Daughter has no other details than this. Their separation was not very amicable and communication between them is nil.

My quesion is, who should be dealing with the insurance company, other drivers and their insurers etc? My daughter or her ex-partner?

To confuse matters further, my daughter now suspects that her ex never actually got round to changing the owner details of the vehicle registration certificate for this car which he bought around 10 months ago.

As communication is non-existent between them and he is quite possibly already out of the country, does my daughter have to deal with this, even though she has no details about the accident?

just to clarify. are you talking about "owner" or "registered keeper"?

The owner = the person whose legal property the car is (who bought it)

The Registered Keeper = whose name is on the V5C (log book) recorded with the DVLA

The answer is - NOT your daughter.

just to clarify. are you talking about "owner" or "registered keeper"?

The owner = the person whose legal property the car is (who bought it)

The Registered Keeper = whose name is on the V5C (log book) recorded with the DVLA

Thanks for your response.

It is confusing as he is the new owner because he bought it. But my daughter suspects he didn't send off the necessary paperwork to indicate that he would be the new registered keeper.

I really hope this doesn't end up with my daughter having to sort it out in his absence from this country as she has enough on her hands with looking after his 3 children!

Thank you

The answer is - NOT your daughter.

Thanks for your response.

This is what we think too. Hope that this does turn out to be the case as he's left her with enough problems to sort out already.

Thank you.

If the insurance policy is in her name, I don't see how she can avoid becoming involved in resolving it. No one else can speak to her insurane company regarding her policy.