IS + DLA & Over 25 - Housing Benefit

X1O1X1O
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, - case in hand - older sister who is now over the age of 25 and claims I.S and low rate DLA.

A few weeks ago we received our yearly rent statement (now changed to quarterly) and it shows us down in arrears by £740. Estranged I phoned up our landlord who told us that the rent has not been paid in full for the last year.

I phoned the housing benefit department and I was told that my older sister now has to pay £15 a week towards the rent because she receives I.S. I asked why and was told that it is due to her now being over the age of 25. (she is now 26.)

Is this really the case with people who receive I.S and reach the age of 25? It's the first time I have ever heard this. If not, who do I turn to for help?

Thanks!

I was on IS and low rate DLA and i still got full HB. Im 52 single and live on my own. But it varies from person to person. They work out how much money u have coming in and if ur over a cerctain amount they will cut the HB u get. But they should of sent u a letter to tell u how much u will get. The only prob i had with HB was it got cut by £6 a week when my IS got stopped and only had DLA @£20 a week to live on. But they were happy to pay it all when i had IS and DLA. My council told me i get all my rent paid when im on IS and DLA but it will be cut even more if i claim JSA now i cant get IS or ESA anymore. That dont make sense to me as JSA is less money than IS/ESA/IB. I do know that all councils have put a cap on how much HB they will pay. That came in in april. How much its cut by varies from council to council. U need to go to ur local council HB dept and ask them how much they r paying u now and why it was not being paid at full rate before april. What might of happened is they overpaid u at some point and deducted a bit out of ur HB each month to pay it back. Also if ur IS went up or was more than a certain amount they will reduce HB as well. But they should of sent u letter to tell u before they cut any HB to u. My council told me a month before the DWP told me about my IS being stopped. But again it depends on the council. Some r better than others at letting claiments know whats going on. IE when i had a labour council they were very bad at letting me know. But when i had a tory council they were very helpful and told me 2 or 3 months in advance what they were doing with my benefits as well as DWP benefits. I was overpaid HB when i had a labour council. My old land lord carried on claiming my rent for 6 months after he kicked me out. I eneded up having to pay it back myself even though the landlord was committing fraud by claiming i was still there while he rented the place to someone else. It took me a yr to find out about it and ended up having pay it back @£15 a week over 2 years. Bloody landlord didnt even tell me he was kicking me out. He waited till i went out then changed the locks and kept all my stuff. Claiming i hadnt payed rent when HB was paying him direct. So in ur case it might be that u were overpaid at sometime and their just taking a bit back each month to pay it off. Only ur HB office can tell u why. Age doesnt come into it as under 25,s get less than over 25, in benefits. When my niece turned 25 her HB went up as did her JSA. She had to pay a topup of £5 a week on her rent but when she hit 25 they paid full rent. But that was before the rent cap got reduced in april.