• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is this considered Discrimination

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My son who has special needs and a statement has been denied some of his school options due to the school saying he will not acheive good grades. They would not say this to an average/above average student, and even if they did they should not, it it a bit like saying to a blind person, because you can not see what the teacher is writing/drawing on the board, we will not allow you to to be educated in what you want to , even though a reasonable adjustment would be to provide the books in braile. In my sons case they are not offering him the additional support as per his statement, or asking for more should he need it, but saying he should not do the course. Please note they have consistantly maintained that my son has been doing well for 3 years...untill now.

Many thanks

Is that the exact reason they gave you? "he will not achieve good grades" ?

I know nothing about the legalities of this or the legal obligations but to me that sounds completely wrong.

I'll flag this up for one of the site team that I am sure will be able to help.

Hi,

the words are he will struggle to attain 10 good passes, (he only has 9) and the management team have decided he will take xxxxxx instead (no consultation by the way) thereby giving him a better chance of obtaining at least 8 good GCSE passes...Charming! good to see they are confident in him, and their teaching!!

Edited by hoxtonlady

They have not given a reason other than he will struggle, which is funny as in his report they have said he is ok in the subjects they are refusing him, and have never hinted as his "struggle" with GCSE's in the past

While I agree to a certain extent that he will struggle, this will only be the case if he does not have any support. He has a statment, therefore the school should be looking at more support or using what he has in a better way, rather than simply saying he can not be allowed to do the courses of choice. The school have not said he can not do xxx course so he can concentrate on the core, they have said they will replace it with a life skills type course that will also require less time that they will need to spend with him and that my son has no interest in. I can not see the sense in that.

I think the question needs to be asked, why does it have to be good grades and what do they consider good grade, what have they been doing with his funding, allocated support hours, etc..that has caused this? While I do not think there is not a parent on earth that would not want their child to receive straight A's,but there needs to be a certain element of realistic expectation and allowance. My son should have the right to do the course that he wants to do to the best of his ability and if that produces a D or E then so be it, it certainly should not be based on what will produce the rest results for the school.

Why is my son being denied this beacuse they do not want to support him, his needs are not such that no matter what he will consistantly produce F's or U's and with the right support he can produce average (so C's and D's) results, so with this in mind I can not see how they can justify it...so wrong on so many levels

have you talked to the LEA regarding lack of support? A statement of SEN is a legally binding document. They can't just choose not to follow it.

You would be surprised what they have done or in my sons case not done, and yes they have simply choosen to not follow it, we are going to court soon about the statement and the LEA's shenanigans, but this particular issue is directly with the school and all the other issues I am having are with the LEA (although the school are the main stressor in all this)

I could fully understand if over the years they HAVE been supporting him and tried all they could and from this they have realised that he would struggle, but they have not and to cover up their failings they are now saying my son can not do the courses he wants because he will not achieve good grades...And why exactly in the 2.5 years he has been at your school, has he not reached a standard that will allow him to do all the courses he wants when at primary school he achieved average grades and scored above the teacher predictions

The LEA are fully aware to what is going on, but will not admit to it as then they know I have then got them by the short and curlies, as they will have to fork out shed loads of money and there will be many a question asked about where funding for certain provisions, ect.. has vanished to (although that one I am persuing anyway so will come to light no matter what)

I have to laugh otherwise I will cry when I think about it, LOL

If you aren't happy with the responses from the school or LEA, try your local councillor.

I have to say that my daughter was struggling with the demands of her GCSEs and was advised to take less - which she did. It took a lot of the stress out of a tough time and she still got into university later, and giving up RE and German hasn't held her back.

How does your son feel about it?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Assisted blonde. No, for instance in PE which is one of the ones he is forced to drop he scored better in than one of the subjects they are saying he must do. I could understand if they were saying he should simply do less, but they are saying he should do less gcse and replace with another type of life skills course that will still require support???

My son is not happy about it as he woould like to join eitehr the police force or the firefighting both of which would benefit from PE, History he likes and is good at and knows he would like to study but more as an interst rather than for any use in his career so the schools logice is senseless, but I know they are doing this due to an appeal I have going and trying to put themselves in the best position.

• 3 months later...

I have no idea if you have managed to find a a solution to this problem. I so hope you do

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I have a partially sighted son and his school wanted him to drop his GCSEs altogether saying that it was highly unlikely that he would pass any. I told them that he was partially sighted not stupid and he is perfectly capable of not only taking his exams but passing them too. They just looked at me like I was mad!

In the end they agreed to let him take them. It was a very proud day the day he found out he had passed them all. It was and even prouder day the day he visited the school again with his degree from university in his hand.

Only you truly know what your child is capable of. Fight for what you believe he can achieve!

I have no idea if you have managed to find a a solution to this problem. I so hope you do

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I have a partially sighted son and his school wanted him to drop his GCSEs altogether saying that it was highly unlikely that he would pass any. I told them that he was partially sighted not stupid and he is perfectly capable of not only taking his exams but passing them too. They just looked at me like I was mad!

I'm partially sighted and have had similar responses from the so-called disability support. I have a lower level qualification in the same subject and had no issues at all.