Motorhome hire - added additional charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Got a quote for motorhome hire of £850. Paid a deposit of £250 on my credit card and filled out an insurance questionnaire at the time. Then didn't hear anything.

I emailed them recently because the final payment is due and discovered an insurance premium charge of an additional £85 on the account. I asked them about this and they said it was because I was high risk (no idea why they didnt tell me this).

I'm 44 years old, been driving 25 years, no points, live in Wales, and have had one accident in last five years.

Been reading review on the company and it seems they have a habit of hitting people with these extra charges. I dont think anyone ever gets away with no surcharge and its just a con to add more charges once they've got the desposit off you.

Where do I stand legally if I cancel and want my £250 back? I know its in the t+c's that they can charge a surcharge but surely they cant take the deposit then sneak the charge in later without telling you (or giving you opportunity to cancel)? Seems like they think they can charge what they like.

Have you asked them to explain why they consider you as a 'high risk?'

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Have you asked them to explain why they consider you as a 'high risk?'

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.

Because of the one accident apparently.

I did ask them how many people have zero additional premium but they declined to answer. IMHO they're giving out a quote and then adding on additional charges once they have the deposit.

If it was me I would complain that they didn't inform you. For all they knew they could of uncured you with charges as this 'premium' could of taken you over your credit limit. As I see it, it is surely a breach of contact by not forewarning you and as such you should be able to cancel and get all monies paid so far refunded. Have a word with CAB to see what they have to say or maybe your credit card provider... they may be able to give you advice.

Please Note

defo contact cc and do a charge back, they cannot take money from your account without authorisation for uninformed charges.

They havent yet. Luckily, I asked them to provide a statement of account so I knew the remaining balance to pay. It was at this point that I noticed the additional charges had been added and queried them. If I hadnt done so, they would have charged the amount I knew about plus this additional charge next week (when balance was due).

At the moment, I've told them Im not happy about the charge and they've said tough luck, so I've told them not to charge anything to my credit card. To be honest, I've since found many complaints online about them - lots of extra charges made without consent as well as made up damage charged for.

To be honest, I dont trust them any more and will cancel but I want my £250 back. IMHO they've behaved dishonestly to date and surely cant be allowed to do this?

Yes, have done so.

Like I said, its just the £250 so far but I dont trust them not to rack up the charges. And I cant be bothered with all the hassle in getting it refunded.

Got some legal advice now (from which legal).

Seems they are in breach of contract because they did not provide me with timely notification of the additional charges.

Heres the bit on their own insurance form that I filled in:-

If an insurance surcharge is applicable, it will be notified and must be paid 72 hours prior to the hire commencing. We are unable to provide insurance cover unless the insurance surcharge has been paid.

It says 'will be notified' but they havent 6 weeks later so I think I've got them.

Legal advice says I can sue for damages if I see fit but I might just go for my deposit back..

Can you keep us posted please?

Please Note

Yeh. Will do. Just about to email/letter to advise them that I'm cancelling my booking but I expect to recieve a refund of the £250 deposit because they are in breach of contract by not giving me timely notification of the additional charges.

Why don't you try saying that you will continue with the booking if they will waiver the charge?

Please Note

The Guardian has ran many articles covering even the main players in vehicle rental basisally running a racket.

Its best to pay cash for full hire/insuance with zero excess when picking up the vehicle, although you lose the s75 protection.

I now try to find places

Not many 'main players' will accept cash these days Bang.

Please Note

Why don't you try saying that you will continue with the booking if they will waiver the charge?

Please Note

Nope. This is not the first thing - they've also changed the model of van without telling me - I was willing to let that one go.

To be perfectly honest, I no longer trust them not to rip me off. If you read the reviews, there are many people who have had a bad experience with them adding even more charges, not refunding deposits, charging to damage, poor quality rentals.

One point to note is they dont tell you where to collect the rental from until 3 days before. I've asked about this but they wont tell me. I'm wondering if this is that they dont want you to drive over and see how bad the van your hiring is until its too late.

Not going to get myself into a situation where me and my credit card are further involved with them. At the moment, they;ve screwed up - I just want my money back and to book with someone else.

UPDATE

They've offered to waive the insurance premium now (after I pointed out the breach of contract and threatened to escalate if I didn't get a refund). Makes me wonder again how legitimate the original charge was if its now been waived.

To be perfectly honest, I'm still not going to go ahead. They've tried it on, got caught, and are now backing down expecting me to trust them. Its like someone stealing your car, getting caught, but then not getting prosecuted because they gave it back. Life doesnt work like that.

Like I said, reviews seem to point to the fact that I'm not the first to experience this sort of behaviour.

Advised them that the initial breach still stands, and that I wish to proceed with cancellation and refund of deposit.