HMRC have messed up my tax credits and taking their time sorting it

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3072 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This all started because I needed to inform HMRC my change of employment. I received a letter to say that my tax credits are to be stopped and I owed HMRC money of around £160. I phoned HMRC and they said to disregard the letter as it was a mistake and can't work out why I was sent it in the first place. It was also confirmed that my renewable pack had gone through and I am still due to receive tax credits but they can't do anything as my details were sent to the head office due to this error and in the mean time they can't contiune my claim.

Has anyone had a simular issue or had their tax credits stopped no fault of thier own? or does anyone know how long I have to get this cock up sorted?

Now I have a letter saying I owe over £2000 for last year. How can this be I even earned less then I stated by £1k give or take a few hundred? I provided the correct information and they produced the results. All because I've changed my employement details I get this aggro. I've been nice and honest and I am rewarded with this rubbish.

Ok phoned tax credits end of last week and now they admit it was a cock up by one of their colleagues but it's still not rectified. Does anyone know a way I can get this resolved some time soon?

About the only thing I can suggest is writing a formal complaint, but don't hold your breath for how quickly it will get sorted. If you go on the HMRC website it will tell you how to complain, but make sure you do it in writing and clearly mark the letter 'complaint'.

However, when they do finally sort things out you might get £50 for the hassle.

Hopefully someone else will come along with a better idea.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.