Used Car Issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I purchased a used car from a main dealer around 2 months ago and it didn't come with a warranty. I wasn't too fussed about this, as I understood that I was covered by the sales of goods act. This car was just shy of £5000. I have been to another dealership today to have it serviced to find that there is about £1000 worth of "urgent advisories" that need to be looked at. I have been told that due to the small amount of miles I have done in the car, the problems were there before I purchased the vehicle. I paid for the car 80% by Debit Card and 20% by Credit Card.

Where do I actually stand if the dealer refuses to fix the issues?

Thank you in advance.

What car, what mileage and what's the £1000 worth of work for? Don't forget that many dealers charge around £80 per hour now so one grand doesn't go very far. 4 tyres and a set of pads all round can eat up £800 very easily now at sealer...sorry dealer prices now.

Sorry for the delayed response.

The car is a Peugeot 207 Sport with 64000 miles.

I took the car to another dealer to have the software updated, as I had struggled to get the original dealership to just do diagnostics on it. When it was in for diagnostics, the fault code was cleared and I was told that I would need a software update if it came back. It came back so I went to another dealer. When it was in for the update the dealer informed me that a service was due, so I booked it in. When it was in for service, I found out that the following work needed doing, and that as I had only done 600 odd miles, there was no way that I could have worn it all down.

The rear brakes (discs and pads) need replacing.

A tyre needs replacing.

The exhaust needs replacing as 2 brackets (front and back) have failed and Peugeot only sell it as a whole unit.

The "Air Box" is broken

The Wipers (front and rear) need replacing.

The ANC (no idea what this is) Belt needs replacing.

As this was my first car, I checked the cars onboard service meter and saw that it had 19000 miles before the next service, so I took this as gospel. I only found out it was due when it went into the other dealer.

I thought buying from a main dealer would mean that the car is top quality and wouldn't need independant inspection prior to purchase, but it seems I was wet behind the ears to think that.

Apologies for any spelling mistakes, I'm typing from my tablet and it was near impossible to correct mistakes on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mister T

Have you contacted the selling dealer? Was it a Peugeot dealer you bought it from?

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it was a Peugeot dealer I purchased it from. After the issues I had just getting them to do a diagnostics check, I have emailed them to the two email addresses I have to them, so that I have a paper trail. I emailed them as soon as I found out on Friday afternoon, so I am just awaiting a response. I was just wondering what my options were if they don't play ball, as after the fight to get a diagnostic test after under a month of ownership, I expect that they won't be too helpful off the bat.

Have you not attempted to talk to them over the phone? You may be going about this the wrong way... they may fall over backwards to sort the problems out... don't you think you are jumping the gun here? Lets here them say 'it's not our problem' before we start giving you advice on writing letters etc.

I hadn't called them, as after having to argue with them to get a diagnostics test done on the car (I kept getting "Well you agreed to buy it without a warranty" thrown back at me, it is only when I quoted the Sales of Goods act and Consumer Credit act, did they reluctantly do the diagnostic test), which would have not cost them a penny to do, I don't expect them to be so forthcoming now it is parts that need replacing as it will be money out of their pockets.

They can't sell it to you 'withuot a warranty' ,they aren't allowed to, you have your statutory rights underr consumer law, what you've probably done is bought it without 'mechanical breakdown insurance' which is in addition to your statutory rights.

The only 2 circumstances under which you can buy a vehicle 'as seen' are as follows.

1. On the purchase invoise it states 'sold for scarp purposes and for spares / repair only' or similar. Just 'sold as seen' is NOT good enough.

2. You bought the car on a trade sale invoice which basically says where you sign that you are signing as a 'bona fide motor trader'

I very much doubt eithero f those apply

The problem with this one is that again it is conjecture as to do they need replacing on a 64000mile car and what is reasonable. Main dealers will go for the obvious consumables such as discs and pads and wipers and drive belts. I cannot see anything here not concurrent with age and mileage that means the OP is entitled to the work quoted by another dealer or that it is covered under SOGA.

You shouldn't call the SOGA a warranty, in no way is it a warranty nor does it pretend to be.

You can't expect a new exhaust because a couple of brackets are broken, a couple of clicks with a mig welder will put that right.

Do as already advised and put down the problems on paper and hand it to them, then take it from there.