Tax Credits review letter - Help

mazingaz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I have just received a letter from HMRC in which they are going to review my 2011-12 tax credit claims. They are asking me for contract or receipts from the Childcare provider.

I have 2 children, was paying Childcare for the first child until August 2008, then when the second was born I stopped sending my daughter to nursery and I looked after her, so basically at renewal I never told that I was not paying any more Childcare but still getting the benefits...

In the letter they say that if they do not receive this information by 10 July 2012 they will use the information they have to decide my entitlement and they will remove childcare which is fair enough.

Then I have to send the tax credit renewal form by 31 July which this time have to complete properly.

My quesion is: should I reply to their letter or not? If I don't they say they will remove the childcare element which I am fine with. Or they will carry on their investigation regardless I do reply or not?

your advice is much appreciated!

regards

mazingaz

I am in a similar position apart from the fact I was using childcare but as my registered childminder vanished I had to use an unregistered one, because my registered child minder didn't issue me with any receipts or invoices for a few months they are now saying i have to pay ALL of last years back, I have to write to them before 4th July with any information I have on her (none) and with letting them know dates and circumstances then they will make a decision :(

claim v natwest WON!

all posts made by myself are without prejudice

I had a letter requesting details about the childcare I use and I asked them for a letter to confirm fees and payments received etc, when I requested the information from both childcare providers they already guessed I was going to ask as they had already received a teleohone call to confirm that my children were still using their services!

You don't have to contact them it is your choice, but you must renew your tax credits by 31st July or you may end up with an overpayment for the entire year as opposed to an overpayment of the childcare costs.

If they do contact your provide they may also ask to confirm when you stopped using the childcare provision.

Wouldn't it be better to contact them in writing or if happy to do so by telephone to explain your situation.