German Debt collection company letter arrived

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I think I know the answer to this, but wanted to get some advice if possible.

In February I 'bought' a domain name on Sedo, a domain transfer site. My account was hacked, I told Sedo and they asked for proof - all of the account details had been changed to some Algerian guy's details. I told Sedo again and again, and eventually just asked them to close my account as they took weeks to reply, and weren't interested. I said I wouldn't be paying for the domain this person bought under my account, and thought that was the end of it.

Anyway today I get a letter from a German Debt Collection company saying I owe them the Sedo commission fees of €100 and costs. I am a UK citizen, Sedo are a German company as the claim is from Sedo GmbH. Shall I ignore it, or engage them and tell them I'm not paying for XYZ reasons?

Thanks.

They could attempt to pursue it through the courts here But for 100 Euros

it would prove costly.

I would write to the DCAs Compliance Manager with the following:

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam,

I refer to your letter dated xxxxxxx in regard to a debt for xxxx which you

allege is owed by me.

Please take note I do not acknowledge any debt to you or any company you

claim to represent.

The account reffered to was used to fraudulently aquire a domain in my name,

and I totally refute any liability for fees charged by Sedo or any associated company.

Therefore you may treat this as my formal and final response to this alleged debt.

Any further corresondence will returned un opened.

• Confused 1

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Germans have a reputation for being litigious but even they would have to recognise the potential expense of obtaining an appropriate judgement in Germany, followed by further action in the High Court applicable to you in the UK, all for the sake of €100.

Writing a letter as suggested, disavowing the debt, seems a wise first step. Hopefully that will be the end of it. If you get chased again with a threat of further action, you can note that any case will be vigorously defended in the UK, in person, with evidence that you severed the relationship when the fraud took place and received no joy in getting it sorted out the easy way, and that you will be applying for all your reasonable costs of defending the claim. It sounds like you've been as reasonable as can be expected, and they have not, thus giving you an advantage.

Not been long back from germany myself (about 6 months), the wife has had numerous letters from their main dca over there asking for money i didn't even know she owed to various companies. All i've done is ignore them, for one they have to submit paperwork to you in the correct manner (recorded delivery or equivalent). they will not pay for that in germany, it's a mentality thing, they believe if they post a letter to your house you will get it be it from your neighbour or court. in the UK it is different, you could lead them on a merry dance for years and in germany if you dont acknowledge the debt (ie pay towards it) for 3 years they are very hard pushed to get a court order aswell. unless something has changed since I left in December. Not that I believe not paying is the way ahead all the time, when it comes to foreign debt i take a different view. and as other caggers have said for a 100 euro its not worth their time or effort.

IQOR (the OH) - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

Simply Be (the OH) - No valid CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

HSBC Loan - No CCA, not gone away but who cares, they have nothing.:madgrin:

HSBC Overdraft - No CCA, not gone away but who cares, they have nothing.:madgrin:

LTSB Loan and Overdraft (the OH) - AID, awaiting result on PPI and Bank Charges complaint.

Vanquis - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

MBNA CC - No CCA, awaiting DSAR outcome.

MBNA Loan - awaiting DSAR outcome.

Capital One (the OH) - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

also keep everything in english if you do write to them, after all that is the country you live in. if they write to you in german you may not know what they are going on about and bin it anyway.

IQOR (the OH) - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

Simply Be (the OH) - No valid CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

HSBC Loan - No CCA, not gone away but who cares, they have nothing.:madgrin:

HSBC Overdraft - No CCA, not gone away but who cares, they have nothing.:madgrin:

LTSB Loan and Overdraft (the OH) - AID, awaiting result on PPI and Bank Charges complaint.

Vanquis - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin:

MBNA CC - No CCA, awaiting DSAR outcome.

MBNA Loan - awaiting DSAR outcome.

Capital One (the OH) - No CCA, gone away.:madgrin: