• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2597 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I need an advice, I am considering stopping taking care of my disabled sister and currently on income support and carer allowance as she rather have no carer and to be able to claim severe disability premium for her ESA.

If I do decide to cancel it how do I do it and how long before I will have to go back onto job seeker.

Just want to make sure everything goes smoothly as possible without gaps payment.

Many Thanks

Bob.

Guest amianne
Hi,

I need an advice, I am considering stopping taking care of my disabled sister and currently on income support and carer allowance as she rather have no carer and to be able to claim severe disability premium for her ESA.

If I do decide to cancel it how do I do it and how long before I will have to go back onto job seeker.

Just want to make sure everything goes smoothly as possible without gaps payment.

Many Thanks

Bob.

Could I ask who is then going to care for her? You must have been caring for her for at least 35 hours a week, and to go from that to nothing as you put it - "she rather have no carer and to be able to claim severe disability premium for her ESA" - seems a bit drastic?

Maybe she feels that with the extra money she can employ a carer?????

It is a rather strange situation. I just can't see how she would benefit financially.

All you have to do is put in a claim for JSA and at your 1st interview, you will have to close your current claim.

you can cancel your Carers Allowance any time you like, ring cancel it say your reason is you have ceased caring, ring I.S tell them CA has ceased.

You have two option now, you can then close your I.S and claim JSA you will get the carers premium for eight weeks on your new JSA Claim, or you entitled to a run on of I.S for eight weeks then your claim to I.S will close and you will put your claim to JSA.

So the choice is your...

Everyone on carers allowance gets a premium called the carers premium, you get a run on of eight weeks when the CA claim is closed.

Your sister would be sent and IS10 for SDP when you cancel your carers claim.

She will have to ring ESA to request it

Carers Allowance is paid in advance unlike many benefits, so the day a payment arrives it covers the next 7 days. Worth bearing in mind when you cancel and when it will stop.

Okay I will cancel it on Monday and let you know how I get on, in fact its bank holiday on Monday so I will get my payment tomorrow and I will cancel it in the morning.

Thank you very much for the advices.

Are you sure its 8 weeks not 4 weeks which I have been told by other?

Bob

The carer premium and condition of entitlement do continue for 8 weeks after final payment of carer allowance so you will be fine.

It hasn't changed since I last processed IS albeit many years ago!

Okay I will cancel it on Monday and let you know how I get on, in fact its bank holiday on Monday so I will get my payment tomorrow and I will cancel it in the morning.

Thank you very much for the advices.

Are you sure its 8 weeks not 4 weeks which I have been told by other?

Bob

definately eight weeks, and it is paid in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have spoken to carer allowance and they saying the money stopped immediately and no further 8 weeks payment or anything like that unless the person passed away.

Is that correct?

Income Support has the eight week run on not Carers Allowance I believe so Carers Allowance are right that their benefit will stop but they are not, I believe, speaking about IS also.

Yes the carers allowance stops but you still continue to receive IS with a the carer premuim for a further 8 weeks after the cessation of the carers award

I think that is an error rather than people being wrong as some posters do, I think, work in that area and know their stuff...maybe the DWP got it wrong....it has been heard of you know! you can appeal/query.....I know when I stopped Carers Allowance late last year I got the full 8 week roll on.....so if it has changed it has been very recently....

Did the letter from Income Support refer to Carers Allowance and/or vice versa? Was Carers Premium awarded on the IS or could they, perhaps not have been in contact with each other? I know they do not really communicate well between departments from my personal experiences with such matters...:|

You all were wrong, it has stopped straight away.

Thanks for the help anyway

Er No

not wrong, Carers Allowanc will cease when you tell them but you will be entitled to I.S for eight weeks run on with the carers premium plus one extra week.

so your BDC have advised you wrongly if they told you your claim to I.S has ceased.

Unless you have made a claim to JSA already and asked for your I.S to close.

If this is the case then you will get carers premium for eight weeks on your new JSA claim

Get back on to them if you havent claimed JSA and want or need your I.S claim to remain open

good luck

I will ring them and find out, thank you very much for this and I didn't mean to say you all were wrong. I was typing it in the rush. Was saying that was not what they all say to me. I will contact them and find out.

Bob

• 1 year later...
Er No

not wrong, Carers Allowanc will cease when you tell them but you will be entitled to I.S for eight weeks run on with the carers premium plus one extra week.

so your BDC have advised you wrongly if they told you your claim to I.S has ceased.

Unless you have made a claim to JSA already and asked for your I.S to close.

If this is the case then you will get carers premium for eight weeks on your new JSA claim

Get back on to them if you havent claimed JSA and want or need your I.S claim to remain open

good luck

Hiya what is the extra week for?