Stopping carer allowance soon

BobbyJo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need an advice, I am considering stopping taking care of my disabled sister and currently on income support and carer allowance as she rather have no carer and to be able to claim severe disability premium for her ESA.

If I do decide to cancel it how do I do it and how long before I will have to go back onto job seeker.

Just want to make sure everything goes smoothly as possible without gaps payment.

Many Thanks

Bob.

Guest amianne
Hi,

I need an advice, I am considering stopping taking care of my disabled sister and currently on income support and carer allowance as she rather have no carer and to be able to claim severe disability premium for her ESA.

If I do decide to cancel it how do I do it and how long before I will have to go back onto job seeker.

Just want to make sure everything goes smoothly as possible without gaps payment.

Many Thanks

Bob.

Could I ask who is then going to care for her? You must have been caring for her for at least 35 hours a week, and to go from that to nothing as you put it - "she rather have no carer and to be able to claim severe disability premium for her ESA" - seems a bit drastic?

Maybe she feels that with the extra money she can employ a carer?????

It is a rather strange situation. I just can't see how she would benefit financially.

All you have to do is put in a claim for JSA and at your 1st interview, you will have to close your current claim.

you can cancel your Carers Allowance any time you like, ring cancel it say your reason is you have ceased caring, ring I.S tell them CA has ceased.

You have two option now, you can then close your I.S and claim JSA you will get the carers premium for eight weeks on your new JSA Claim, or you entitled to a run on of I.S for eight weeks then your claim to I.S will close and you will put your claim to JSA.

So the choice is your...

Everyone on carers allowance gets a premium called the carers premium, you get a run on of eight weeks when the CA claim is closed.

Your sister would be sent and IS10 for SDP when you cancel your carers claim.

She will have to ring ESA to request it

Okay I will cancel it on Monday and let you know how I get on, in fact its bank holiday on Monday so I will get my payment tomorrow and I will cancel it in the morning.

Thank you very much for the advices.

Are you sure its 8 weeks not 4 weeks which I have been told by other?

Bob

The carer premium and condition of entitlement do continue for 8 weeks after final payment of carer allowance so you will be fine.

It hasn't changed since I last processed IS albeit many years ago!

Okay I will cancel it on Monday and let you know how I get on, in fact its bank holiday on Monday so I will get my payment tomorrow and I will cancel it in the morning.

Thank you very much for the advices.

Are you sure its 8 weeks not 4 weeks which I have been told by other?

Bob

definately eight weeks, and it is paid in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have spoken to carer allowance and they saying the money stopped immediately and no further 8 weeks payment or anything like that unless the person passed away.

Is that correct?

Income Support has the eight week run on not Carers Allowance I believe so Carers Allowance are right that their benefit will stop but they are not, I believe, speaking about IS also.

I think that is an error rather than people being wrong as some posters do, I think, work in that area and know their stuff...maybe the DWP got it wrong....it has been heard of you know! you can appeal/query.....I know when I stopped Carers Allowance late last year I got the full 8 week roll on.....so if it has changed it has been very recently....

Did the letter from Income Support refer to Carers Allowance and/or vice versa? Was Carers Premium awarded on the IS or could they, perhaps not have been in contact with each other? I know they do not really communicate well between departments from my personal experiences with such matters...:|

You all were wrong, it has stopped straight away.

Thanks for the help anyway

Er No

not wrong, Carers Allowanc will cease when you tell them but you will be entitled to I.S for eight weeks run on with the carers premium plus one extra week.

so your BDC have advised you wrongly if they told you your claim to I.S has ceased.

Unless you have made a claim to JSA already and asked for your I.S to close.

If this is the case then you will get carers premium for eight weeks on your new JSA claim

Get back on to them if you havent claimed JSA and want or need your I.S claim to remain open

good luck

I will ring them and find out, thank you very much for this and I didn't mean to say you all were wrong. I was typing it in the rush. Was saying that was not what they all say to me. I will contact them and find out.

Bob

• 1 year later...
Er No

not wrong, Carers Allowanc will cease when you tell them but you will be entitled to I.S for eight weeks run on with the carers premium plus one extra week.

so your BDC have advised you wrongly if they told you your claim to I.S has ceased.

Unless you have made a claim to JSA already and asked for your I.S to close.

If this is the case then you will get carers premium for eight weeks on your new JSA claim

Get back on to them if you havent claimed JSA and want or need your I.S claim to remain open

good luck

Hiya what is the extra week for?