• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Toothfairy/Northern Debt Recovery/Marshall Hoares/Appleton Massey Solicitors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4213 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Get that to the OFT. It's seems to be becoming a habit with these muppets lately. You are in an IVA, if they were included, theres nothing they can do, no matter how much they stamp their feet.

Complaint to the OFT about their actions.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They dont have a "fraud team". AS you said, its a scare tactic.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

They really are quite stupid! Its quite funny really, it's upsetting that they do bully people though and they should definitely be stopped from behaving like this.

They are so rude too! 'I'M not the one in debt!' yes, and you think I enjoy it?! Losers!

Not had any response to my letter, and have not had my first payment returned, so they can like it or lump it, quite frankly!

They will get stopped if people complain. As has been said many times, they almost lost their license last time, adn the OFT look to be heading towards another investigation.

These Companies Are BottomFeeders Just Ignore Them.

If you ignore then, you are letting them go free and they WILL do it to other people. Guaranteed.

I meant ignore their threats but report them ^__^ :)

Never would I suggest to just let them be....

Gotcha. The wording of your post made me do a double take lol

Good day.

I am in the process of filing a complaint against ToothFairy, Northern Debt Recovery and Marshall Hoares and Bailiffs.Not only with FSO, but with OFT and the Trading Standards. It's not so much as avoiding paying exhorbitant amounts, it's not trying to avoid the responsibilities in making payments; it's about fighting for principles and ensuring that they will not prey again on people like you and me.Oh and yes, it is right not to ignore them; it is best to report them and make them pay for all their nefarious and unethical tactics.

Hells to the yeah!! I've been Gavin fun and games with them, they refuse to put anything in writing and I have proof of 3 different people telling me so. They get all angry and give it 'you are refusing to pay!' and when I laugh, they don't like that! All phone recordings, as well as the text messages they have sent to me (never had any emails, despite what they say) have been forwarded to OFT. The texts say I owe '216', but they say I am making it up or 'that refers to the interest' then can't understand why I say I will only pay that as that is what I have in writing!! Shambles!

They're under investigation. Just sit tight and sent an offer of repayment letter once a week.

If they refuse to acknowledge, thats their problem. Not yours.

That interest wont hold up. Dont worry. It's a blatant breach of OFT guidance on debt collection.

Make sure you are putting in formal complaints.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT664Rev.pdf

Have a read of that and if any of them applies to your situation, get complaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, they have not responds to my letter, they refuse to

Contact me via mail, saying they are a paperless office. I receive a text message each Thursday saying I have an agreement to pay and £252 is due the following day.

They say they have emailed me a number of times, but I have NEVER received an email from them.

Today I got a text saying that collection agents will be visiting in 7 days and an email has been sent, but guess what?! No email!!!

I called them (the oft are getting every recording by the way) because I wanted to confirm when they would be coming to my house.

Got the usual 'agree to repayment, we will call off visit' to which I replied that they refuse to accept my offer of £10 and as a student can't afford £100 er month.

She also told me that she was unable to confirm when the collection agents will be coming (I'll admit, that's the bit I wanted). She said this twice during the conversation and I also gave another email address so they can try this one.

No email.

Am I incorrect in thinking that I should get notification in writing for doirstep collection?

I personally think that they are just making up bs and they are doing the usual trick of trying to bully me, and will never get a visit. I hope I am right in thinking this, anyone turning up will feel my wrath, but I'd rather not have to deal with that in all honesty!

I guess I want reassurance more than anything. I have some real conversation gems recorded, you will kill yourselves laughing. They are too easy to wind up.

DCA baiting - my favourite sport ;)

They send that message to everyone. IF they refuse to put things in writing, then ignore them. It is your legal right to have everything in writing. Also, with these idiots, the doorstep collector rarely if ever comes. It's used as an empty threat to force you into paying something.

Have a read of http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?441-If-you-do-receive-a-doorstep-visit-we-give-these-suggestions-to-Members

Good job getting it all to the OFT as well.

I myself am in the process of filing a complaint with them at the FSO. I have already complained to them to the OFT, and OFT is currently getting more evidence and witnesses against these companies. OFT needs lots of witnesses and evidences to pin them down. You're doing the right thing in filing a complaint with OFT. File a complaint with FSO as well.

I have written another letter sent by recorded delivery today stating that I want all further comma in writing and not text an email, sent through all their websites too. I am building quite a little file on them really!

It's so good to know that others are/have experience and are able to share. Obviously it's not 'good' in that way, but you know what I mean!!!

I'm going by the fact that if I keep copies of everything, at least I can get them if they decide to play silly buggers with the courts!

Yes, that's good, keep copies of all correspondences, whether it be email, post or even text messages, and recorded calls. I have started submitting copies to OFT. It's a bit tedious, but I'd rather do it just to put them in their own place. Also, I don't want them to keep victimizing and taking advantage of more people in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

I sent email/letters plus £1 to Toothfairy/NDR/MHB asking for a statement, copy of the agreement & any other documents mentioned in the agreement, and today I received what may look like what I requested, however, I am unsure. They say it is a copy of the agreement which was electronically signed by both parties, but gives no date. Also, the 'statement' is a tiny little section, with the dates of all the charges IN THE FUTURE.

Am I right in thinking that their 12 days are still not up, so I can still wait for what I have actually requested, and what they have sent me isn't worth the paper it's written on, given this slightly MASSIVE mistake on the count of the dates?

I contest the charges, which they say have been added in the future. I'm not sure what is difficult to understand about my questioning a document that they have sent with missing information and dates of fees added in the future, that make up the total they say I owe...

The 12 days + 2 are almost meaningless (except you can put the debt into dispute) What they sent, the electronic signatures would be fine under the request you made.

As I also said in my post, YOU know what you owe (forget about the fairy tales) they sent you. Keep paying the £10 and when you have paid back the REAL amount you owe, stop paying.

There are no signatures, electronic or otherwise. They say they have added a number of charges in the statement total, as of today, but the dates of the charged are all in the future. If this document will hold up in court, then anyone could charge anyone else whatever they feel like 3 months in the future and demand they paid. I don't think it unreasonable to want clarification on this matter, plus it may answer other people's questions.

What concerns me are the constant threatening letters and emails which I obviously would like to stop. I was advised to request the information I have done by trading standards, I would like to know if this document is them complying with the request.

As previously mentioned, I have no issue paying the original loan amount plus 1 month interest, but they will not discuss the matter in any firm, and refuse to accept this as a payment plan.

Obviously this situation leaves me worried sick. I came here for advice. I don't remember mentioning I wouldn't pay, I asked for information on the document they have sent me.