• Tweets

• Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
    • The US competition watchdog has taken legal action to stop Tapestry's $8.5bn takeover of rival Capri.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mobile stolen abroad, thief ran up huge bill.

221b
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had the itemised bill back from Filthafone - criminy, the person who nicked it was up ALL night phoning people!

The calls are practically continuous at every stage of the night!

Anyway, the calls number 157. Considering I have Vodafone Passport in place and the thief was using Vodafone's preferred network of Bel Proximus (how inadvertently thoughtful of him...), each call should have been capped at 75p, which works out at (157 x 75p) £117.75 & VAT on top of my monthly charge of £36.74 - (though I haven't even used a miniscule fraction of this month's 'free' minutes/texts after my phone was instantly nicked!).

I feel in an excellent position to press them on Vodafone Passport and why it wasn't working at the time of the calls when I am clearly registered for it and could rightly assume that it would at least cap the calls in this horrible situation. Are they breaching some part of my contract with them by lulling me into having a service such as Passport and then not operating it consistently? Supposing I had actually made all of those calls myself in good faith while abroad, thinking "oh well, it's only 75p a call" and then come home to this shock of a bill. I'd like to know where I'd stand then...

In light of this I feel in a much stronger position now to pay nothing further than I've mentioned in the first paragraph. £117.75 + VAT - I don't even feel inclined to pay the monthly line rental as they cut my phone off as soon as they realised I wasn't going to pay the £1797.99 bill!.

Any musings?

Thanks

221b

That is excellent news. Were all the calls international (ie outwith Belgium) to the same country of destination? If not, it could have been used by many people paying a few Euro to the thief. The Passport scheme has many gotchas to catch the unwary, however if the network used was on the shortlist of those to be used for the service, AND you did request and have been charged for the Passport fee, that's their failing - not yours, so the bill has to be recalculated. Once you have the revised amount (say £117.00), you can then negotiate THAT figure shown to something more reasonable. I'd be prepared to offer then £50 in full and final settlement, without admission of liability on either side. Failing that, and in their weakened position, you could suggest you let the courts decide. Either way, you want it noted that the amount claimed from you is immediately revised, and that it is marked as being in dispute.

Go for it girl!

:)

I think you'd better go away and have a look at how Vodafone Passport works. The 75p refers to the connection charge whilst abroad for calls to the UK or within the network country. If you have inclusive minutes then these are used effectively limiting the cost of the call to 75p, once your minutes are up then you are charged the standard UK call charges. If the calls are to countries other than the UK or network or are to premium rate numbers then you pay the standard world rate.

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Hi there StudentInDebt

Hmm...

I don't ever recall being given that information when I signed up for Vodafone Passport, just that my received and made calls would be capped to 75p a call and come off my minutes' entitlement. Of which I had approx 300 at the time.

I think most of the calls were to France and some within Belgium from what I can tell; no premium rate numbers. In any event, surely Vodafone have their preferred networks in France as well or wherever it was he was calling?

I just can't conceive that the actual costs to Vodafone are what they are charging me. They are, therefore, making money out of a most distressing situation. Profiting from a criminal act doesn't seem very CSR of them...

Thanks for the points though!

221b

In that case the French calls will be at the Zone 2 rate of 75p per minute and the Belgian calls should be included under Passport. Your minutes will only apply if they would have at home (for example on any Anytime contract they would apply at any time, on a Leisure contract they would only apply during evenings/weekends).

Probably worth checking all the numbers for destination as further afield will be costing £1.50 per minute

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

If you state you aren't aware of how Vodafone Passport works then perhaps you should read the letter which you sent to Vodafone:

I found this information regarding Vodafone Passport - All customers, whether pay-monthly or pre-pay, can register free for Vodafone Passport, which applies to making calls home or in country and receiving calls whilst roaming on Vodafone’s preferred networks. On Passport, calls are charged at a customer’s standard plan UK call rate, plus a one-off charge of 75p. The cost of receiving a call is also a one-off 75p charge.

The 75p you refer to is in addition to the call cost, it doesn't mean the calls will be capped. And the passport service doesn't apply because the calls weren't made to the UK.

Don't forget that it was your fault the phone was not barred sooner, not Vodafone's. I'm surprised they have offered you anything to be honest. 25% seems like a very respectable offer to me, and I'm sure it's been offered purely in the interests of customer relations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

christmasrallycag_468x60.gif

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I have Anytime 250, now 500.

The 'calling to another country thing' was absolutely never explained to me when I set the VP up in the first place. I was actually offered it rather than asking for it. Even know the date and time this conversation took place.

Not that I would generally wait to get to Belgium then call 150 people in France anyway!

Oh well, I'll have to try a different tack then if what you say is true.

Many thanks...

221b

If you state you aren't aware of how Vodafone Passport works then perhaps you should read the letter which you sent to Vodafone: I never stated I didn't know it worked. It would now appear on advice from others on this site though that I didn't know exactly how the system worked, perhaps as it had not been fully explained to me when I was so quickly encouraged to sign up for it in the first place. I also feel that there is a deal of ambiguity in how they describe the product; how convenient for them...

Originally Posted by 221b

I found this information regarding Vodafone Passport - All customers, whether pay-monthly or pre-pay, can register free for Vodafone Passport, which applies to making calls home or in country When I copied this information from Vodafone's website I understood this to mean, making calls home to the UK or from within another country, but not limited to that country! and receiving calls whilst roaming on Vodafone’s preferred networks. All the calls were on Vodafone's preferred network, Bel Proximus. On Passport, calls are charged at a customer’s standard plan UK call rate, plus a one-off charge of 75p. The cost of receiving a call is also a one-off 75p charge.

The 75p you refer to is in addition to the call cost, it doesn't mean the calls will be capped. And the passport service doesn't apply because the calls weren't made to the UK. The 75p is in addition to the minutes coming off one's allowance, of which I had a huge number. That is how I was given to understand the system. That is why I called it a capping system, as then also, the minutes are only charged at your standard UK rate, not 75p per minute!

Don't forget that it was your fault the phone was not barred sooner, not Vodafone's. I would have to at least partly disagree there. Vodafone say they have a department monitoring these sorts of fraudulant patterns, but that they prioritise them. I'd like to know why mine wasn't being prioritised! In any event, as I've said previously, I was in Belgium for medical treatment, I had been pickpocketed, had no money and was on my way to hospital as the crime happened. I would feel it more appropriate to say it was my misfortune not to have been able to have reported it to them sooner. I'm surprised they have offered you anything to be honest. 25% seems like a very respectable offer to me, and I'm sure it's been offered purely in the interests of customer relations. I can't see how that can be considered 'respectable' when they are actually marking up a considerable profit still, on what was a criminal act with a direct victim who is one of their customers. They have it well within their power to come out of this situation glowing by showing some humanity but have clearly decided not to.

Please don't think I'm having a go at you and I thank you for your time in responding.

Please continue to contribute if you can suggest something that I might positively be able to take from it in terms of my wrangle with Vodafone.

Many thanks

221b

If you state you aren't aware of how Vodafone Passport works then perhaps you should read the letter which you sent to Vodafone:

The 75p you refer to is in addition to the call cost, it doesn't mean the calls will be capped. And the passport service doesn't apply because the calls weren't made to the UK. .

I've never seen that as an exclusion (that the only place you can call is back to the UK). The T&Cs misleadingly talk of your 'home tariff' - now, is that your tariff on your home phone, or Vodafone's network when only at home, or by home do they mean the UK? To be fair to our respondent, this isn't spelled out in any useful detail, and if YOU were faced with a £1,700 bill, I'm sure you wouldn;t be sitting idly by saying "It's all my fault, I didn't let them know it was stolen".

Don't forget that it was your fault the phone was not barred sooner, not Vodafone's. I'm surprised they have offered you anything to be honest. 25% seems like a very respectable offer to me, and I'm sure it's been offered purely in the interests of customer relations.

There's a situation where a network also has to take joint responsibility. It is not uncommon for someone to lose their mobile and not know about it, in the same way you lose a credit card. Yet credit card companies have the temerity to block transactions and refer them when the card is being used by the authorised signatory until they are sure the right person is using it! But in THIS case, Vodafone are happy for someone to run up a bill of £1700 and admit to having no security? Sorry, in my book they have been more negligent in this matter than our respondent. Does everyone with a mobile have unlimited credit? We should be told - and I'm sure our respondent wasn't

My view is that there is a joint duty of care in this matter - and as the respondent advised Vodafone as soon as the loss was discovered, I would be interested to know how high a bill they would have allowed before removing service. The fact it got to over £500 without this happening makes them negligent in my book - clearly benefiting from the profit of call charges at the expense of a customer who can be held accountable.

I'd like to think that anyone with a Vodafone contract thinks seriously about this and asks the company at what amount of call cost will they suspend service and hold the customer liable?

• 2 months later...

An update is in order I feel...

Since the last offer from Voda, they have increased it to 35% off the £1,800 bill - so, they're still making a handsome profit out of a crime, then. Very ethical...

Although at the same time as cutting my phone off, they're now charging me an additional £500+ disconnection fee AND still charging me for the monthly contract!

Pah...

Luckily, following Buzby's advice, I have written to BBC TV's Working Lunch and Simon Gompertz, their consumer specialist has taken up my story. It's likely that I'll be appearing on the programme either tomorrow or possibly early next week.

Strangely enough, the Director's Office of Voda were on the phone to me pdq after Simon contacted me - how extraordinary...

Not sure if this will get me anywhere with the massive wobbly bill, but here's hoping.

More anon...

221b

I was just going to ask you, as I was also called to ask if I was aware of other conmsumers who have suffered in a similar way. I'm sure you were gracious in declining Voda's offer of refund, I still believe it would be fairer if you contributed say £250, as being punishment enough, with the remainder being met from their charitible/goodworks budget... they've certainly wasted their money on the Ashes....

I'm shocked that they did not bar your phone prior to the bill getting so huge. I had a contract on voda a couple of years ago and my calls got barred after about £100 til I contacted vodafone to get the bar lifted. Thought that was a standard thing they put on all their contracts to stop bills spiraling. Guess not

I'm currently on vodafone myself (albeit on pay as you go now) and have never had a major problem with them. Least if the BBC are taking an interest in your story vodafone might roll over and play nice now

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Well, I went on Working Lunch today - what an agonising experience that was!!

I sort of burbled a bit and expected to do re-takes but it was all over in one take.

Thought of lots of good things to say on the way home in the car afterwards. Hmm...

The presenter, Simon Gompertz, told me that Vodafone have offered to cut the bill by 50% and waive the termination fee of £502.56 - generous of them!

So, Vodafone are still insisiting on making a profit, (albeit slightly squeezed) from a crime which has a direct victim. How sleazy...

Am waiting for Vodafone to contact me direct and offer this formally to me.

Will report back when they do.

Am posting the blow-by-blow account in the hope that this stuff may be of use to other folk who might get in the same position. Working Lunch were very efficient and helpful.

221b

Hi there

Thanks for all your recent posts and words of support...

Had a call from Vodafone 'Customer Relations' this morning.

As predicted, they are offering me a 50% reduction in the call charges and most generously 'waiving' the £502.56 termination fee - the fee which they charge me for them cutting off my phone...

They are saying that they didn't get notification by the Belgian network of the outrageous call volume until three days after my handset was stolen. That seems a bit sloppy to me... Also slightly confusing as they claim a text message was sent to the handset when the call volume reached £1,200.

Also the representative from Voda claims that they are making a loss by charging me 50% of the call costs, and not making a profit. I find this extraordinary!

It really feels as if I'm being treated like a criminal here - Vodafone have absolutely no interest in pursuing the real criminal of this horrible situation, just me, who has already been a victim. I may be the one who ultimately has to go to court, while the thief who stole my phone gets off scot free.

The calls he made were several to repeated numbers, ie people he knows well, so if they really wanted to see justice done, they would be liaising with the police and tracking down this criminal, not making my life a bl**dy misery.

Have asked for a deadlock letter now as I really still can't afford to pay the £900 bill.

Been in touch with Which? Legal and they are suggesting I offer Voda my monthly contracted amount plus 50% - which would be about £52 in total. Their argument is that Voda are operating a department that is dedicated to detect fraud, yet it doesn't work properly, ie they have to carry out all aspects of their service with reasonable care and skill which they have not done.

Finally, I feel as though I am being discriminated against as the more people I talk to, the more I find that Vodafone have scrapped bills of other customers in the same position as me, yet I am being treated differently. Surely Voda should have one rule for all its customers?

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.

221b

Helen, the termination fee is not for cutting off the phone, but the balance due for the contract commitment... had you upgraded to a new handset recently? Although you may not wish to continue with the network, you can request a replacement SIM with your original number and use it in a phone you supply, this way you can mitigate this loss and concentrade on the call charges only.

I firmly believe they duty of care issue is still highly relevant, and the best course of action is to be reasonable, but firm. Make an offer based on your ability to pay, and in full or final settlement. However, if they intend pursuing you for the reemaining balance, you'll be happy for a court to decide. However, you require confirmation that - as the account is in dispute - your credit record has not been compromised.

I've offered to return the handset to them. I only upgraded to the new phone after the handset was stolen in Belgium. When I reported the phone stolen, they made no mention of any calls made on the stolen handset, so I thought all was well and re-committed to a new contract.

If I am prevented by Vodafone from using the line that I am contracted for, I cannot see how they can charge me for something that they are preventing me from using!

Yes, as far as I know, my credit rating is still squeaky at present.

I now have to contact Otelo, Vodafone's ADR (Dispute Resolution Service) and see how they assist me in progressing with this wobbly mess.

221b

The handset and the SIM are 2 different things. Although your SIM has been cut off, you could put a PAYG Voda SIM in it and be back in business, so the phone itself is not inoperative.

Keep us posted!

I suppose I didn't want to be paying for PAYG SIM calls, while still racking up monthly call charges on another number (that was officially cut off).

As it is, I've been using my mother's SIM in an old phone since the debacle.

I'll be sure to post as and when I have any more news...

In the meantime, I'd be interested to hear if other folk have had their bills wiped if they've been in a similar situation. It might be useful to refer to if things get ugly :D

221b

Are you saying they are still billing you a monthly rental for the SIM that has been disconnected? Or are you able to make/receive calls on the replacement phone. If the monthly charges are still running, and the SIM blocked to prevent you making those inclusive calls, I'd quicky ensure those monthly charges are creidted too....

• 4 weeks later...

Just been reading through your post and have noticed one thing that does not appear to have been mentioned, Travel Insurance... did you have any, surley this will cover your losses in full.

Also what tarrif are you being charged monthly for ??? even though the have susspended your service, you may be able to change to the lowest monthly tarrif with no free mins or texts, might be worth a try.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've only just found this thread and I realise it's a bit old, but I thought I would add a wee response in case other people are experiencing this same issue.

Owing to my "experience" with mobile phone companies, I would like to explain how international billing works, as I see many people, understandably, cannot work out how such a high bill was run up without the network doing anything about it.

Each customer has a credit limit, and once you go over this amount in call charges your line is suspended. Unfortunately, the better your credit history is with the company, the higher this limit will be. It is unlikely that your credit limit was £1,200 - I have never come across one higher than £500 before. However, whilst you are abroad with your phone, the charges for each call only get added on to your UK mobile account when the foreign network you are using actually passes the details on to the UK network. Obviously, this can take a day, possibly longer depending which country you are in. This means then, that when the company recieves the details for the call which has put you over your credit limit, they will send you a text telling you to call them, and then they will suspend your sim card so no further calls can be made. However, there could be another few hundred pounds worth of charges for calls which have already been made waiting to be added on to your bill. Thus, the network will cut your service off when you go over your credit limit, but further charges could be added to your bill after that, although they will be for calls made before the suspension

This is why it is important to call the network asap so that they can suspend your sim card immediately. Before you leave the UK, you should call your network or visit their website and request to know the number which you should dial from abroad to reach them in such circumstances. Unfortunately, since it is possible for you to contact the network in which case they will suspend your sim, you will remain liable for all charges incurred up until you do notify them the phone has been stolen. Ultimately, you are liable for all calls made from your phone, whether it is actually you who has made them, or someone else.

This has been my experience with a few mobile networks. I am not sure if it works exactly the same for all networks, but I would imagine so.