Laptop repair also refused by Know How

userage
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3752 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So long story short, I had two bad accidents in a day. I first dropped my laptop in the kitchen and the screen ended up breaking. Then while backing up my data my little brother spilled juice over it and the hard drive ended up failing then after that it wouldn't even turn on :/

I sent it in for repair and they gave it back to me today with a letter simply saying they consider the damage to not be covered by our Service Agreement.

I'm suppose to write back to the Claims Investigation Department. What say do I have in this? Should I get someone to inspect my laptop so they can also back me up to prove it was an accident? Because I assume they don't believe it was an accident which is why they didn't repair it.

I've written about 2 pages so far explaining what happened, I'm sure if I get a technician to check out the laptop it would help but I don't know how much that would cost or where to find one.

Thanks,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i take it you have whatever happens ins?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hehe how many times do we read this here

whatever happens, we'll repair it....:evil:

anyhow

we hve paul from the team onboard here

i'll alert him

and you should see some movement in the morning.

in the meantime this is what is typically posted

when he pops up

might shorten the wait.

you will not be able to PM

this gent

please follow the info below:

Hi Guys,

you can contact me at http://getsatisfaction.com/curryspcworld/

I will be able to chat to you further from there.

Kind Regards,

PaulThe KNOWHOW Team

or

Thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forum.

I am sorry to read of the trouble that you have experienced

If you would like to email me at [email protected] with your agreement details and postal details and tel number,

I will look into this for you to see what I can do to resolve this.

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Guest Paul - CurrysPCWorld

Hi Userage,

Thanks for taking the time to post. (I did not get an inbox message from you?)

The 'WEH' agreement that you have in place will have been passed like you said to the repair investigations team. Gary Perryment will have been passed the details which explains our team believe that the damage that has been caused is not consistent with your account of the events.

As it stands on situations like this I am unable to do or say anything that will change the outcome of the events by Mr Perryments team as they deal with these personally. However, I can offer you all the advice that you need to help get this resolved.

The documents will have a return address where you should write to, to give further evidence/explain how the damage came around. Be as clear and thorough as possible as this will all help. If you don't have the address I can provide it for you.

Should you need anything else just post on here and I will come back to you or email me at [email protected]

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW team

I would be tempted to remove the hard drive, get an external housing, and back your folders up that way.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for the reply Paul

I don't care much about the data, I backed up my important files. I just didn't back up a few programs and games. Quite worried they won't overturn their judgement, I rely on that laptop quite a lot :(

Just to be sure, the address to get in touch with Gary Perryment is;

Dixons House

Marylands Avennue

Hemel Hempstead

Herts

HP2 7TG

Correct?

I have explained everything that happened in the best detail I can in the letter. Is there anything I can add that would help the situation? My laptop is still with PC World at the moment as my Dad refused to collect it because it was not repaired.

What are the chances of them overturning their decision? Does it happen often? Seems a lot of people aren't too happy with this Insurance.

Hi Usearage,

Thanks for getting back to us.

I don't have any specifics for how often decisions get overturned, but I can confirm that what you put does go a long way towards the decision being confirmed.

Even if it takes you 10 pages just be as clear and as thorough as possible, make sure no stone is left unturned. That is the best piece of advice I can offer.

The address above is correct for just also add 'Claims Investigations' followed by Gary Perryment otherwise your mail will be routed to the Sheffield contact Centre

Like I say, if you need anything else give me a shout I'm more than happy to offer any advice.

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

Thanks for the reply once again, my Dad sent the letter because he assumed it was finished :'|.. Is it rude if I send the final copy and tell them to disregard the first one? :/

Also do you know who the underwriter of the policy is? My Dad filled a complaint but the person wants to know who underwrites the insurance. I thought it was DSG retail, but apparently its not.

Hi Userage,

The policy thatyou have in place is a support agreement, we do not sell insurance for products. The support agreement is not underwritten as it's not regulated by the FSA. The policy's are in place by Dixons Retail.

If you wish to send another letter to the claims investigations team you are more than welcome to do that.

Should you have a complaint about the support agreement that you have you would need to forward that to.

Whatever Happens

Customer contact Center

PO Box 1686

Nunnery Square

Sheffield

S2 5YA

Kind Regards,

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Userage,

A reply is usually between 14 - 28 days, when the team pick up a contested letter they will go back over the agreement details and the report to confirm the findings to be correct.

Hope this helps

Paul

The KNOWHOW Team.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Gary wrote back to me and he refused my claim. He mentioned some things in the letter. He mentioned my SD card adapter inside the laptop which was broken, this was broken for a while and I always leave it in my laptop, I did not bother to write about it in the letter because I felt it was irrelevant. He says there was evidence of spillage on the keyboard and screen. The keyboard, well yes that's where my brother spilled the drink over, as for the screen I can only assume I didn't wipe it properly and when I closed the lid some of the residue of the liquid got stuck on the screen.

I mean, what am I suppose to do? :( Should I write back? Because the SD card thing is really nothing to be used against me in this claim, it did not break at the time of these incidents. I can't recall any major spillage on the screen, so how am I suppose to explain it to him? The incident happened two weeks ago I can barely even remember it now. He also said liquid got in from the bottom, I did notice some liquid on the bottom but I'm sure I wiped it, I did turn the laptop upside down to wipe it but I'm sure no liquid leaked in, unless maybe when I wiped it some got pushed in? :(

Should I just try explain what he mentioned best I can and write back? Will he consider re looking at it? :/

Edit:

Also a free-post envelope was enclosed but the address listed on it is different to the one I sent it off to

The address on this is;

Coverplan Admin Department

P.O. Box 53

HP2 7XW

Should I use the envelope or just mail back to the original address I used?

Edited by userage

Hi Userage,

Sorry to hear that your claim has been rejected. As I stated in one of my previous posts, "Even if it takes you 10 pages just be as clear and as thorough as possible, make sure no stone is left unturned. That is the best piece of advice I can offer." So even if the SD card thing to you may not be an issue that could be why the repair has been rejected, the same goes for the spillage on the bottom of the unit. If you don't document these things they will get picked up on.

If you use the return address that he provided it will go straight through to Gary or his team and they will be able to speak to you further.

All the best,

Paul

The KNOWHOW team

Why keep mucking about with currys? send them a LBA ( letter before actionlink3.gif ) give them 7 days to respond, if they don't then issue a Money Claim Online (MCOL). There is a fee for this, but you can claim this back as your costs in the claim.

Companys like Currys sell these insurance policys, although they will say they are inhou sesupport agreement, still the same thing! They do everything they can to get out of paying!

Time to start fighting BACK!

Why keep mucking about with currys? send them a LBA ( ) give them 7 days to respond, if they don't then issue a Money Claim Online (MCOL). There is a fee for this, but you can claim this back as your costs in the claim.

Companys like Currys sell these insurance policys, although they will say they are inhou sesupport agreement, still the same thing! They do everything they can to get out of paying!

Time to start fighting BACK!

Thats exactly what I am doing. I gave them a run down of the claim and where I got the value from. I asked for any evidence they have on me towards the claim, I saw in another post on here that the Data Protection Act covers that, so it would be good to see exactly what their 'technician' thinks. I gave them 17 days to reply, that being 14 days + time required for my letter to be received.

I don't know if I can, but maybe someone here can shed some light. Am I able to claim for the rest of the agreement? Our agreement is for 5 years but it hasn't even been 3 years. Can I claim money back for the remaining time? I certainly don't intend to ever come back, and once I get a replacement/the claim money I will be getting real insurance.

I am going to claim the cost of an equivalent spec laptop, this is what I should be doing right? Or should I have told them/should I claim for the full price of my laptop?

Thanks for all the replies once agan

go with the equivilent spec as thats whats in the terms and conditions

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Yeah thats what I went with. I couldn't find the exact spec but I got one that was slightly above and one that was slightly below and just averaged them. Using benchmark scores obviously.

as for the useless extended warranty

claim it ALL back

you didn't need it anyway

as SOGA covers you anyhow.

dx

and they

as for the useless extended warranty

claim it ALL back

you didn't need it anyway

as SOGA covers you anyhow.

dx

I mentioned this in the letter actually.

If Mr. Perryment actually decides to replace my laptop, I'm still able to claim for the agreement aren't I? Because it really is useless. If I knew it was basically an extended warranty I would have never bought it, the manager put us under the impression it was a full insurance.

mis-sold just like PPI scandal

totally and utterly worthless

dx

and they