Help...have i been overpaid in child care tax credits or not???

scratchingmyhead
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The facts, we received a letter saying we (my partner & I) have been selected for review and asked for recepits and invoices for childcare over the last year. I have two children ages 2 & 3. From, Sept 11 both went into childcare for a full 4 days a week because my partner started college. We claimed accurately for childcare up to this point through our tax credits . We changed this and was awarded £150.00 per week. Now the problem, my partner was eligible to apply for "Financial Assitance" from the college she attends, initially she lost and then appealed and they agreed up to £8000 grant which included childcare. So therefore from Sept effectively our childcare was paid for by the college through this assistance. Because she was nil'd then appealed payment didn't really commence until October / November time.

We (i think stupidlly) thought nothing more of the tax credits we received because we both worked myself full time and at that point my partner did 18hrs per week on average on thought we were entitled to the payments, because we work and used childcare. It wasn't until my partner came out of work from one of her jobs and her hours reduced to under 7 that we looked again at what the tax credits form say and state "what you actually pay" as soon as we realized we contacted them, this was end of January this year told them our childcare was paid for. Our payments were slashed and we assumed that, if it was incorrect, they would have adjusted our payments accordingly for the remainder of the year.

We now have the "letter" problem we are encountering is similar to others, those bills we did pay and receipts recieved are probably polluting the earth somewhere, we didn't keep them. The childcare provider has given us charges & payments received and the college has said all they can do is re-issue the award letter stating she is entitiled up to £8000 but did confirm verbally we were nowhere near that limit.

My questions are really: Did we need to declare the financial aid from her local college? When declared the college pays for it through this grant, should they have recalculated our entitlement taken that into account (although I do recall the asked for a day and I responded what day? He said when you want to stop claiming so I said 4th Jan when we knew or thought it was wrong.....?) any overpayment made since stating the college have paid for it since September? Were we entitled to any childcare with us both working? and finally will we end up in prison? I roughly work out that we received £100 per week for 5mths 20 weeks so around £2000 what will they do once I send them this documentation back........as my username suggests scratchingmyhead......it seems so black and white now especially writing this but at the time it seemed we were correct

Hi my advice to you would be phone tax credits up and also go to cab bureau, you will not got to prison , i had a case back in jan and i owed 12 grand so they said , i had a break down thought my world had come to an end , was off work fo 2 and half months .

Dont let this take over your life , like i did . you will get it sorted and prison no.

Good luck

Folle

• Haha 1