Mum chased for overpayment of Dads state pension.

mrsfoot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My dad passed away in April, on a Friday. We notified all benefits (state pension and attendance allowance) on the following Monday.

Today, Mum has received a letter saying they had overpaid Dad (no details on what) and that she has to repay it.

There was no estate left. In fact Mum had help to pay for the funeral as money is pretty tight.

What bugs me, Mum is still waiting to hear about her state pension and tax credits, and they are not rushing it through, yet they are quick enough to ask for money they overpaid my Dad.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Advice? I'm not clued up on the benefits for over 60's.

Thanks guys x

I can only say we had the same letter when my dad passed away...we informed them on the next day of his death....eventually after sending in all the documents it was decreed that there had been no overpayment and nothing was owed.....I would send them all the details of date of death, etc etc and wait and see if there has been any overpayment or not....good luck

Guest amianne

Today, Mum has received a letter saying they had overpaid Dad (no details on what) and that she has to repay it.

There was no estate left. In fact Mum had help to pay for the funeral as money is pretty tight.

x

The letter you are referring to will be addressed to the Administrator or Executor of dad's estate. It has nothing to do with mum!

If as you say that dad did not leave any assets either in his name or jointly with another person, and mum has had to pay for his funeral, it will be treated as a bankrupt estate.

Consequently anybody looking for payment of a debt out of the estate will have to go fly their kite!!

Thank you. It's comforting to know we are not the only one going through it. It makes me mad that they are quick enough trying to get money out of a partner, but they won't shift themselves to make sure they have money to live on!