• Tweets

• I've just taken another look through the stuff they sent me in response to the CPR request, the notice of assignment isn't the original , it's on a plain sheet of non letterhead paper, in fact it could have easily been typed up by Overdales, or anybody really.  On the other side of the paper are standard Lowell terms and conditions that are only half on the page. Should this be part of my defence?
    • I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help needed! single parent dad-jsa sanction for taking my daughter to hospital!

Schrib
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, basically I came across this site as I decided to do an extensive search of the internet for answers.

this is my sitution- basically im a single dad, with no support from my daughters mother. i'm 23 and live in the middle of nowhere very small town.the mother lives in a huge city miles away..

I was working for the NHS for 3 years and in March lost my job..so I had to sign on for jsa..basically when i first signed on the woman gave me around 30 sheets of paper with appointments in advance..a bit overwhelming..but anyway..to cut the story short..

i lost one of those pieces of paper..and it was for an appointment on june 26th..now i had another appointment on june 17th (which they changed)..now what happened was for some reason on june 26th i was meant to sign on then also later in the day go to an appointment at 1pm..i signed on on the 26th in the morning but no one made me aware of the 1pm appointment later in the date..and when i went home my daughter, who has a illness had some severe medical problems so i had to take her to hospital.

I tried ringing my local jsa centre to inform them but the line was constantly busy and i only have a mobile (they are 0845) so the costs are unbearable. Anyway when i next showed up at the jsa centre, they had a massive go at me saying i was taking the ****, and so what if my daughter had a medical problem that wasn't their problem.

I explaiend to them that i did try and contact them and i had got mixed up about the 1pm appointment but it was a genuine medical condition, and from day 1 of my original claim for jsa i clearly let them know i had a child. Anyway i was told after a phonecall to jsa i wouldn't be sanctioned for 2 weeks, as i had a payment due..no surprise i got sanctioned from that payment..so the last 3 weeks (as weve had a bank holiday and no signing on) ive had no money and had to budget my last jsa for myself and my daughter..

am set to sign on next week..but i never even got notification in letter form of how long my sanction is or why..or there reasons..i decided to ask jsa to appeal it and got a letter from the hospital, where they outlined that my daughter has a severe medical condition and if i hadn't bought her in it could have had severe reprecussions.

As of yet i sent that off 3 weeks ago and i've had no reply I read on here i could go for a hardship loan..should i bother? or should i have acted earlier? the thing is im meant to sign on next week..and should get paid friday..but im moving back to my mothers yet ahve an appointment tuesday/wednesday..am i better to tell them im moving after i sign on or before?

Edited by citizenB
formatted for easier reading

your post is slightly confusing as it is all in one paragraph sorry.

You have a current claim for JSA, had an appintment for 17/06/12 which was rearranged for your siging day (presumption sorry) which is one attendance on the same day and signing would be conducted within that appiontment so only one attendance for that day at 1pm.

On the same day you had to take your daughter for a medical reason to the hospital was this a pre booked appintment or an emergency. if it was prebooked you only need to show the appointment letter if it was an emergency you can obtain proof from admissions/reception that you daughter was taken for treatment on that day.

all appointments for JSA are mandatory and you can be subject to a sanction even if you attend on the correct day but at the wrong time if you have been warned on a previous occasion about attendance times.

I can only recommend that you obtain proof of the visit to hosptal and request a rconsideration along with an application for hardship allowance.

With regards to your daughter, are you actually in receipt of child benefit and child tax credit for her in your own name? How old is she? If you have the relevant child benefit and tax credit then yes her circumstances will/should be applied to your claim but if not then she cannot be taken into account on your claim as technically you don't hold the parental responsibility for her via benefits.

If you have all the relevant benefits for her then your application for hardship should be paid from day 1 of the sanction as you are classed as being in a vunerable group but if not then you would not receive any help for the first 14 days of the sanction. If the reconsideration is unsuccesful then you need to appeal (ask fr form GL24DWP when you next attend the JCP).

With regards to to your change of address you should notify the benefit centre when you move and all records will be updated folloing that telephone call.

If I've missed anything please post again.

sorry apologies no what happened was..when i started claiming jsa this year which was on the 31st march 2012..basically they gave me around 10 letters all which had appointments on for the future..and they had one on the 17th, but they said the advisor wouldnt be there that day so on the 26th that i'd have a sign on at 9am..

then the other appointment from the 17th at 1pm on the same day..i went to the 9am appointment but didnt go to the 1pm on the same day..I explaiend to them that i did try and contact them and i had got mixed up about the 1pm appointment but it was a genuine medical condition, and from day 1 of my original claim for jsa i clearly let them know i had a child.

Anyway i was told after a phonecall to jsa i wouldn't be sanctioned for 2 weeks, as i had a payment due..no surprise i got sanctioned from that payment..so the last 3 weeks (as weve had a bank holiday and no signing on) ive had no money and had to budget my last jsa for myself and my daughter..and no i dont get any benefits for her as im not on the birth certificate..

Edited by citizenB
formatted for easier reading

as you get no benefits for her that is why your reason hasn't been automatically accepted.

You need to make a claim for child benefit and child tax credits for her, it doesn't matter that you aren't naned as her father on the birth certificate, someone else is being paid for her but you have care for her now.

here is a link for child benefit http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/start/claiming/index.htm

with regards to the snction first sanction is 1 week and any subsequent sanctions are two weeks so it would appear that your advance payment was not triggered following the inital sanction although its not ideal you need to make enquiries about any payment that may have been delayed in being issued.

As you are not receiving any benefits for her she does not exist on your jsa claim or job seekers agreement either so your reasons for missing the appointment wouldn't be acceoted as a domestic emergancy and as such your availability for work on that day has been questioned hence a 1 week sanction for that benefit week (can only be sanctioned for full benefit weeks and not individual days).

How to explain it without sounding horrible...... if I called into work and said I wasn't going in as I was taking a child that I was not in parental responsibility for (in receipt of financial payment child benefit, guardian allowance or foster allowance) then I would be told not acceptabe and to attend work or face disiplinary action on my return, but if in receipt of the financial payment for a child it would be classed as a domestic emergency. Otherwise people would phone in whenever they wanted a day off but knew it couldn't be agreed due to staffing levels and would be abused.

the link for tax credits http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/TAXCREDITS/

Edited by flumps1976
forgpt tp add a link

Can I just mention that some mobile phone providers allow 0845 calls to be included in minute allowance for a very small (in proportion to what you are probably paying now) payment. It may be worth finding out about this also....every little saving helps.

And good luck.

Schrib, I have popped some spacing into your posts to make reading easier.. Can you please hit double return in order to get the spacing. Makes helping you a lot easier if we can read your posts properly :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

yeah i get what your saying..i need to get the paperowrk together for her..and well my mobile network does, last time i rang jsa i got a hefty £90 bill for 20 minute call (waiting to get through can sometiems take ages)..also this is my first sanction..i just went into the jobcentre and she said i have to sanction you sorry because you missed an appointment and a child emergency isnt a good enough reason..but yeah i see what your all saying..also you said shes not on my 'jsa agreement' i actually put clearly and have seen in all yhe extra info in my jsa sheets which are printed in 'other' at the bottom it always says i have a child..like i said i've always bee 100% honest..would that not help the matter in anyway? as from the start of the claim i said this?

schrib you have a child in your care ohysically but for benefit purposes you don't, you are not receiving any benefits for her and that means that technically there is no proof that she is with you iygwim?

The fact that you have benefits for her means that your reason is not considered good cause and that is the reasdon you were referred for a sanction sorry.

The next thing for you to do is follow the links I posted earlier and make the claim for child benefit and tax credits, if your daughter is under 5 you can then make a claim for Income Suport on the grounds on being a lone parent so you can still look for work but you won't be bound by a Job Seeking Agreement.

If you choose not to pursue benefits for her then you cannot place restrictions on your agreement as I already posted she cannot be considered on your claim as you do not have the legal financial parental responsibility.

yeah i get what your saying..i need to get the paperowrk together for her..and well my mobile network does, last time i rang jsa i got a hefty £90 bill for 20 minute call (waiting to get through can sometiems take ages)..QUOTE]

Have you asked your mobile providers if they have a bundle or deal for 0845 (and normally 0800 and 0870) numbers? They charge awfully high amounts if you do not specifically ask for this.

I pay £3 extra a month to have my 300 minutes included in the deal so I only pay this no matter how many of the minutes are used to DWP etc

Yeah I did and they want additional money slatted..what am i meant to pay that with? well i havent recieved any payment and i got told it's a 2 week sanction :s but ive never been sanctioned before in my life..so whys it 2weeks..also how long do they normally ake to get back to you..does anyone have a direct number for jsa?

They have no direct numbers. Stopped that a long time ago....probably to make sure we pay in all ways....

and I do not think they have a timescale for responding to appeals.....and yes they expect you to live on nothing......

I thought the mobile providers would add the cost of 0845 bundle to your next bill thus give you time to get money reinstated..mine did..sorry they were not helpful....and I did realise they would want more money but in proportion means you would not be so out of pocket going forward.

they no longer have the dierect numbers as Slatted said, you have to go via the contact centre and request a call back, however as your JSA has been sanctioned it won't be the processing team that you nned to speak to and unfortunately you cannot speak to the DMA team directly.

Until you have spoken to JSA you have no way of knowing if it is 1 or 2 weeks that have been sanctioned and due the sanction being imposed ot automatically removes the bank holiday advance which explains why you haven't been paid since either although this should have been picked up on the Work Availble Reports generated for the closure team at the JCP or the processing team at the BC.

yeah..so i have to sign on tuesday..then meant to have another appoint ment friday right..but im meant to move out of here on wednesday..what am i best doing to approach the situation and not lose any money as i wont be in the area friday? but dont want to lose my benefit?and i really need the next payment

Sign on as normal and advise that you are due to move the following day, you will then need to contact the new office that you will be be able to attend and request a live transfer appointment, ask the signing team to note your records that you are going to do that, they are not allowed to cancel the appointment in case you don't move on the date you are meant to so that appointment will stand until you contact the new office iygwim?

This will action will not affect your next payment.

Just a bit confused here, you say you had lost the paper with the 1pm appointment on, but you then said that you tried to ring them. When did you remember the appointment was it that day or later?

i dont think that the job centre had any duty to remind you of your 1pm appointment though.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

No what happened what I lost the original appointment date change letter. But I knew i had the appointment later on just couldn't get through to them. And okay I'll do that but it's 100% definete i'm moving so don't know what i'll do as if i dont attend friday won't they cut off my benefit? just i could attend in nottingham just not where i live (notts is where am moving)

Guest amianne

I have a friend who is in a similar situation.

He has 'a child' a girl aged 5 who lives with him who he believes is his but the mother denies it and his name isn't on the birth certificate. The mother lives in a totally different part of the country and has basically 'dumped' the child on him when she was 2.

The mother claims all of the payments, Child Tax Credit & Child Allowance for this child - she has 5 others two of which live with her and three live with the 'father'.

He was told that he could not claim for any of these payments the mother is receiving as he does not have control and custody nor is he named as the child's father.

Your friend should contact Social Services to start the correct procedures, there is a legal requirement to notify the local authority if a child is living with you and they can then help to set the wheels in motion to get the claim put in correctly. The person who is currently claiming the benefits has a legal right to receive the payments for 8 weeks after the child in question has left their care but after that the person that the child currently resides with can make the claim in their own right.

Schrib you should also do the same, there is money there for to claim in respect of your daughter so you should take the necessary steps to ensure that you can support your daughter :)