Ruscik12

Compensation from Bromley council, London.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2638 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Guys.

As some may recall a while ago I have lost my job due to my employer being a bit of a F and case is with employment tribunal (it was accepted jej).

At the time I lost my job I have applied for JSA and 3 days later for housing/council tax benefit. That was respectively 29.02.2012 and I think 02.03.2012. It took ages to get JSA due to mistakes made by JSA and fact they lost my documents. I got my JSA benefit after 3 months, after I already found a job. Still better late then never. All my issues with getting JSA were logged in their system so Bromley council had access to it.

During my application for housing/C.tax benefit I have mentioned my landlord does not accept DSS and if possible not to contact him. I have provided them with confirmation of loss of employment, statements from bank showing savings (below any limit as times are hard), proof I have applied for JSA and some other documents. They have decided to send a letter to landlord with some odd questions in regards of my application. They also sent a letter to me. Landlord was not happy and warned me I will have to move. I have replied to Bromley council in regards of questions they asked me and explained that landlord will not reply as he does not want to (rule towards all his tenants) and does not have to. They refused my benefit mid April based on fact I had no JSA (they knew it was on going) and landlord not replying. I made an appeal towards end of April, explained landlord situation again and JSA situation.

As soon as I got my JSA confirmation (20th of May) I provided it to Bromley council. Since then had no contact from them at all. When I called on 11th June I was told my application is still on hold as my landlord did not reply. I asked the person I spoke to if there is a legal requirement I can quote to landlord to force him to reply, she put me on hold for quite some time and when she got back I was told no there is not. In other words his reply is voluntary yet they still do not want to process my claim despite me being entitled to the benefit. Because of their games during entire 3 months of my job search I was stressed like hell as I had no money coming in. Now I am still stressed as I am living of my overdraft and CC until 1st pay. I will have to pay interest on that.

I do not feel their actions are reasonable or fair. Unlike many in this country I worked most of my adult life. In 8 years employment I was claiming benefit for total of 5 months (3 months now). I can safely say I am not a lazy person living off benefits. Yet they do everything in their power to not give me money I am entitled to.

I am going to try and have a meet with them tomorrow. They do not do walk-in meetings, only by appointment. Obviously Monday to Friday 9:00 till 17:00 only, as I have a new job no way to get a day off in future. I have an off day on Friday and they can only book appointment for me in 2 weeks time. If I do not succeed I will leave a letter with them.

Now knowing what has happened can someone tell me how to take court action against Bromley council for not paying my benefit, stress they caused me and extra costs I have because of them? I do not want to do that but I know they will say no to my benefit as landlord did not apply. Thx to them I also have to move by 23rd as landlord got ****ed off.

I can only speak of issues with my local council (a different london council), you will have too make a complaint at the first level... stage 1. They will most likely give you some crock and bull story to get rid of you, then take that too stage 2. This will most likely back up the stage 1 reply, but in more detail.... then you get to stage 3, which is corporate level. Its These people that CAN help you and change the situation. :)

Hope that helps, and my detailing the complaits procedure is only my experience of London Borough of Barking and Dagenham council's complaints procedure .... been through it many times, and its not until stage 3 that they finally admit they were wrong!

Well Bromley council refused my appeal on grounds I did not prove I lived there ?! I want to take them to magistrate and I know I can but they have not sent that info on reply. How do I do it? Which form I need to fill in and where to file it?

I don't know of anyone who has been successful at suing a council. However I sympathise, sounds like you were screwed over well and truly.