Landlord removing stuff from property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a shared property (HMO) there are 5 of us in here. It's quite a nice place, we all have our own bedrooms & bathrooms.

It's all furnished by the landlord to a good standard.

However,the landlord is in the habit of entering the property, without notice, and removing and or replacing furniture and equipment. The first we know about it is when we arrive home (we all work normal office hours).

Today we got back to find that the tv & recorder had disappeared from the living room. There is another tv in the dining room but that's hardly the point. The vacuum cleaner has gone too.

In the past they've changed furniture including beds without any warning and various other stuff has disappeared or been replaced without any reference to us.

Occasionally we return home to find that the living room or dining room has been re-organised. We normally put it back the way it was but it doesn't stop it happening again.

Now I know that the landlord is supposed to give notice that they want to come in (they never do) but should they be removing anything without our say so?

Oh, and the oven is broken. They've told us it will be repaired but that was about six weeks ago and we're still waiting.

And they constantly leave vehicles parked here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi newrick

The Landlord of the HMO is allowed to go into the property as often as needed, but only into the communal areas.

Entering a person's room is not allowed without the tenant's permission unless in an emergency, and he must also give at least 24-hours notice to do so.

A tenant is allowed to have quiet enjoyment of the property.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

What proof do you have that LL removed TV & video etc?

I'd be inclined to report disappearance to Police as a theft.

Main factor - has LL updated the inventory to reflect the changes / removals?

Keep dated record of all changes.

What proof do you have that LL removed TV & video etc?

I'd be inclined to report disappearance to Police as a theft.

Main factor - has LL updated the inventory to reflect the changes / removals?

Keep dated record of all changes.

Surely the TV belongs to the landlord ?. How could that be theft ?

Hi Newrick, have you approached your LL and asked why he feels entitled to do this?

Having had a problem a while ago with my son's student house, I am sure I read somewhere that you can change the locks if the LL is abusing your rights but I can't remember where I read it.

What does it say in your tenancy agreement about LL's access?

If he is doing this on a regular basis, I wouldn't be happy and what's to stop him helping himself to your personal belongings?

Changing locks is only acceptable outwith HMO, as with HMO the landlord normally has a right of access to the common areas but not the remainder. This is normally stated in most MO tenancy agreements. Internal locks on individual's rooms should not be a problem, and the LL should give notice if wishing to inspect a non common area.

However, if the property is let with various facilities in those common areas, then the LL should only replace or improve those facilities.

If you signed an inventory and things are missing then when you leave the property, you will be responsible.

So - you need to find out for sure if it is the Landlord. If not, then you should be reporting the items stolen.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D