• Tweets

• Thats because this claim has not been allocated as yet hence the above hearing *Case Management " to determine the directions (N157 Notice of allocation) which will follow after this hearing. You are not requested to submit a statement but have all the details with you (claim form defence CPR CCA etc etc)   Andy
    • Our price is the same all day, but varies day to day. Yes there's a risk of high prices but it has never gone above SVR any time since I signed up. Last 30 days average 17.67p/kWh, max 20.67 and lowest was 11.83.  It saved just under £300 during 2023.  
    • It you had E7 in the past but have converted to single rate then the meter will still hold the last recorded Night readings. This introduces scope for error when manually reading. If the meter has only ever been used on single rate then there's only one figure that can be taken. For example ours shows "Rate 1" reading and a "Total import" reading, but they both give the sme figure. If it has ever been on E7 the total will be higher, including the retained night reading.
    • okay, perfect and thank you so much for the help once again. so firstly i am going to initiate the breathing space, during this time it's likely ill receive a default. when i receive the default are you aware of how long it will take for me to know whether the OC have sold it off to DCAs? Once it's with the DCAs i do not need to worry as they cannot issue a CCJ only the OCs can Even if i decide to come an arrangement with the DCAs no point as the default will remain for 6 years paid or not paid I should only consider repayment if the OC still won the debt and then issue a CCJ? Just to confirm the default will not be seen after 6 years? No one can tell I had one then after 6 years ill be all good?
    • I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Please Read If Your Account Was Opened Pre-1995

Guest bong
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wouldn't, I would use the Supply of Goods and Services Act, (i.e. reasonable pre-estimate), and the recent OFT guidelines. Technically, the UTCCR doesn't apply to contratcs pre-1995 and though you may get away with it, they would have a legitimate defence to your claim.

Smile:-The Ethical Bank:- Settled July 2006

HSBC:- Pre-lim sent 09/10/2006

LBA sent:-26/10/2006

Court papers issued:- 13/11/2006

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

I am only a Doctor of Love NOT Law. Don't blame me if me advice goes belly up!

:D (I will try to help all the same)

If i've helped, use the scales at the top to tell me how great I am!

Thanks very much jimfishybob.

:eek: CAN SOMEONE TELL ME THAT I DON'T NEED TO PANIC? :eek:

I am shocked, to say the least, because

1. I only came across this by chance; had I not been thinking of claiming for more than six years of charges I wouldn't have discovered this piece of information, which, as I see it, is VITAL to the success of my claim even if I only reclaim 6 years worth of charges

2. How many BAG members with accounts opened before 1995 (and is that 1st January 1995 or some other cut off point?) have unwittingly been quoting these regulations in their particulars of claims? and

3. It throws into question the dangers of relying on any of the information or procedures quoted as standard on this site, without being more enquiring and 'fishing' for exceptions to the rule.

I know we are advised to buy the recommended books and law packs but I'm not sure that this would contain a comprehensive guide to, or interpretation of, the relevant laws here anyway.

Its now quite apparent to me that the guides to filling in your particulars of claim, the faqs section and possibly other parts of the forum need IMMEDIATE updating, before claims start getting thrown out on the grounds that the legal basis for bringing the claim simply doesn't apply. The problem is I have PM'd Bankfodder and Dave and here I am three days later still waiting for a reply from either of them, so I'm not sure how this can be achieved.

I am left wondering what else I might need to know about the relevant Acts, Regulations and common laws, and whether I need to be doing a lot more homework before I can entertain taking HSBC to court. :eek:

It is absolutley clear from the UTCCR that it does not apply to contracts entered into before 1995.

If you only discovered this by accident it suggests that you have not conducted a methodical preparation of the material you were intending to rely upon - before commencing your claim. You are advised to do this in several places. Furthermore the pre-1995 exclusion has been referred to and discussed in many places on this website.

That said, it is not at all a disaster if your contract was entered into before 1995.

The underlying and fundamental reason for the non-enforceablity of penalty charges is because it is contrary to Common Law. If your contract was entered into before 1894 then you might have a problem - but even that would be unlikely as Common Law can generally be said to have retrospective effect.

The OFT report refers to the common law and in any event, the principles contained in he provisions of the UTCCR concerning penalties are exacly those contained in the Common Law and in fact it can be said that the UTCCR reinforce and rejuvenate the common law.

In the case of penalties if they are contrary to the UTCCR then they are contrary to commonl law.

There is no problem referring to the UTCCR and the OFT report as a source of principle when arguing against the penalty effect of a pre-1995 contract.

If you have failed to appreciate these things then following link may be of use to you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cooperative-bank/announcement-center-bankfodder-very-sick.html

Finally, this site is about self-empowerment and taking responsibility for your own claim and for your own litigation. It is your case, your risk and so it is for you to decide how much of your own effort you wish to invest in it.

To be honest I am rather miffed by your reply BankFodder. I think it is defensive and not very helpful.

It is absolutley clear from the UTCCR that it does not apply to contracts entered into before 1995.

I have re-read the regulations and it is still not at all clear to me - otherwise I would have been able to answer this myself!

In any case where does it state in amongst all the many FAQS on this site, or the guidance notes, or the legalities forum, either that these Regulations do not apply to you if you opened your account before 1995 or alternatively that you must read the Regulations, and any other Acts for that matter, and work this out for yourself? As I said before, I've read them and there is no definitive statement in them as you have suggested.

The only place this is mentioned is in the question "Can I claim beyond six years" in the FAQS. I would suggest that as it equally applies to people who are only claiming for 6 years, it is in the wrong place.

If you only discovered this by accident it suggests that you have not conducted a methodical preparation of the material you were intending to rely upon - before commencing your claim.

Not so - I have spent a lot of time reading, and as I said above, it is not there for all the reading in the world.

I don't think I can be the exception here.

Furthermore the pre-1995 exclusion has been referred to and discussed in many places on this website.

This suggests that I knew it would be a problem and I would have been searching for it! Anyway it needs to be in an obvious place, not tucked away amongst thousands of old threads!

If your contract was entered into before 1894 then you might have a problem

Do you mean 1984?

If you have failed to appreciate these things then following link may be of use to you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...very-sick.html

Sorry BF, I just found this rude. How was following that link supposed to be useful to me? All it reiterates is that you are annoyed with people making mistakes.

Finally, this site is about self-empowerment and taking responsibility for your own claim and for your own litigation. It is your case, your risk and so it is for you to decide how much of your own effort you wish to invest in it.

Actually BF whatever you may think I do take responsibility for my claim and I am investing a great deal of effort in it and in helping other users where I can. Maybe you misunderstand me - I do not expect you to take responsibility for it, but I do think once you have been made aware of deficiencies in the site it should be acknowledged and corrected for everyones' benefit. I am pretty sure that if I conducted a survey on here there would be an awful lot of people who are not aware of this.

I might just do that.

Whoa, i'm sitting this one out.

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

Yes.

These people are individuals with jobs and families who devote all their spare time, (and not a little money), to helping others. The rest of the users on here, me included, try to help others out wherever possible but know if there is something too complex or something we're unsure of we can go to BF or Dave for clarification.

As BF states, this is a self help group. He has taken the time to make all the information you need available, how you choose to act on that information is your own lookout. Further, if you aren't au fait with ALL the arguments applicable to your case, you are not well enough prepared to take on a major financial corporation.

With the best will in the world, you are coming across like a spoilt child, you have been given this wealth of information and are stamping your feet because one of the points that may affect you hasn't been displayed in huge capital letters across the front of the site.

I have nothing against you and good luck in your claim. Will help where I can.

Just my 2 pence worth.

Sorry I don't agree. I am not criticizing BF for the work he does, it's fantastic and I take my hat off to him and the others involved in helping others on this site. But that does not justify him taking my genuine query about whether the way in which information is presented on this site is doing it justice and/or 'helping' people when it is not prominent, and turning it around into an excuse for berating me or belittling my efforts.

With the best will in the world, you are coming across like a spoilt child, you have been given this wealth of information and are stamping your feet because one of the points that may affect you hasn't been displayed in huge capital letters across the front of the site.

On the contrary - why would I be making a fuss about information I now have - the point I've tried to make, is that as I had difficulty finding this information so will others, and not everyone would think to ask "I wonder if the date that I opened my account will affect what I write in my Particulars of Claim?" Unlikely - it just gets copied out word for word!

And how was my reply rude? If you let me know I'll try and rectify it.

Actually I have realised that I completely overlooked to say thankyou BankFodder for the information you gave me. I'm sorry I didn't say it before and I hope you aren't offended by my remarks.

Guest NATTIE

BankFodder is a no nonsense person and so you can read many things into what was said but I read the UTTCR 1999 which is fairly clear that it revoked the 1994 act from 1st July 1995. It was in the Statutes Library on one of the parts of this site that everyone should use and I do not assume you haven't either.

BF did mean 1894- a google search helped on that one.

Good Luck on the claim and have you made any amendments to claim on the basis of the info you now have?

Jimfishbob, i'm not entering into the debate but how was Bong rude, exactly??

Apologies, I was tired and that's not really what I meant.

Comment removed ;)

Good Afternoon all. Please excuse my rants - for anyone who wants to understand me better I should perhaps explain that I am a recovering people pleaser, someone who has never dared to speak back and is not yet very well practised in the art of self-expression, sometimes employing perhaps too aggressive a manner, but nevertheless someone who is now in recovery from a lifetime of being completely passive, servile and apologetic. And I am of course practising in case I have to stand up for myself in a court of law, Your Honour!

So, it's once more to the soapbox dear friends, and may I suggest that the faint-hearted look away now (only joking! :p)

I don't know whether I should be ashamed of myself, or not, for admitting that I read the Regulations and did not deduce that because they only came into effect in July 1995 they did not affect all contracts. Why for instance is it taken for granted that I should know that common law has retrospective effect but legislation does not?

This is exactly what worries me - yes we have access to the statutes - but does the average person using this site have the wherewithal to use this information effectively? And I don't accept the argument "we told you to get an experts opinion", this site is all about helping the layperson wherever possible.

Would it be harmful to have a clear warning in the preliminary steps section that the UTCCR do not apply to pre-1995 contracts? If it stops people having their claims legitimately defended and thrown out what is the harm?

If this point is being and has already been debated in people's threads it is because people aren't sure, want and need to know, and should reasonably expect to find that what has emerged from the debates is being effectively used to keep the site informed and the tutorials updated.

I have been made to feel that I should not proffer my own experience or indeed constructive criticism of the site, for fear of being branded a brattish child and upsetting the administrators, who are by now very sick and tired of people not getting it right and crying for help afterwards. (And can I just point out that I am still doing my homework and I haven't yet submitted my claim.) If the aim of the site is to promote self-empowerment, I can think of no better way of achieving this than in sharing with them the basic information they need in the first place. And let me just ask this - if they, the administrators, are not here to listen to me, or you, Mr/s BAG user, who is it all for?

Right I've got that load off my chest :), I guess I have laboured the point a little, and I now need to get on with the work of addressing my claim against HSBC. God forbid that I should come across any other hitches!!:eek:

Despite everything said, I wish to say that I am genuinely very grateful for this site.

Indeed 1894 is correct - that is the date of the precedent case. So you're out of luck if you're looking to reclaim charges from over 112 years ago :p

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I don't know whether I should be ashamed of myself, or not, for admitting that I read the Regulations and did not deduce that because they only came into effect in July 1995 they did not affect all contracts.

Well if you should, then so should I as I'm in the same boat; it was only when I came across this thread that I appreciated the potential (but, it seems from BF's post, far from insurmountable) difficulty faced by those of us who opened our accounts pre-1995, so I thank you for starting it.

I can fully appreciate how frustrating it must be for moderators to see people repeatedly making the same mistakes, but I guess the sheer size of these forums makes it easy to miss important information. I consider myself one who takes seriously the "read, read then read some more" mantra, and can generally pick up legal principles quite easily, but I have to admit to missing this one.

I'm off to do more reading :|

If I've helped, please tick the scales at the bottom left of this message!

17th Sept: Found this site! :)

Lloyds TSB

22 Sept: Subject Access Req.

3 Nov: statements arrived. Charges calulated at:

A/c 1 - £2,178.01 + int of £1,206.54 (18.4% authorised)

A/c 2 - £206.11 + int of £211.07 (18.4%)

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

28 Dec - rejection letter

2 March - issued

16 April - complained at court failure to forward defence

Halifax

22nd September: Subject Access Request.

4th November: No reply so LBA giving 7 days.

Cap One

22nd September: Subject Access Req.

5th October: Letter saying no record of account!

15th October: Replied telling them to try harder...

22nd October: Subject Access Req acknowledged.

Any news on this yet? I'm in same boat, albeit not quite at POC stage but it would be handy to know so I have time to prepare !

NatWest

Statements sent for - 18/09/06

Statements received (in full!) - 03/10/06

Initial letter of claim sent - 05/10/06

Offer received for £1,400 approx - 21/10/06

LBA sent with acceptance of offer as part, will pursue for the rest - 21/10/06

Reply to LBA received (forwarding to Cust. Rel to deal with) - 25/10/06

Frank, i've been digging around a bit and from what I can tell it's not a major problem to quote UCTCCR 1999. From what I can gather, the banks will have changed your contract to bring it 'up to speed' since 1995 even though you haven't signed a new contract (as I haven't, i don't even have the original one i signed when I was 17 !). I would presume therefore, that you could quite happily quote UCTCCR without any problems and I would also presume that if the banks try to defend on this point alone, they would have to prove that your contract is exactly the same as it was all those years ago when you first opened your account. I'm not an expert though ! I could be very very wrong ! It's just my personal take on it all - maybe someone else could confirm?

J

NatWest

This site is gradually evolving to take into account new knowledge.

The UCTCCR 1999 are a good tool to get back unfair cahrges, but the CCA is the best weapon especially on older accounts. Particularly section 85.

Mike

If I've helped tip my scales

Blair Oliver & Scott, £2500 written off December 2006 Default removed January 2007:D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/56001-mike220359-blair-oliver-scott.html

Monument, didn't sign the agreement

:D

Lloyds TSB didn't sign the agreement!

Citicards, didn't sign the agreement

RBS tut, tut!

:rolleyes:

Morgan Stanley, oh dear

:rolleyes:

Hi Mike, have just had a quick look at CCA S.85 - have I got it right - the bit about credit-tokens? Have you used this one yourself? Are you also saying that its still ok to use the UTCCR 1999 on older accounts?

thanks

Hi guys, am working on something on this at the moment - can't say too much ! Will be in touch again soon !

J

NatWest