Can't Sleep? Think about Space

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

If I can't sleep I think about the Universe and how vast it is. For example, the Voyager 1 space probe (launched in 1977) is now over 11 billion miles from Earth, but hasn't left our Solar System yet!

The Milky Way Galaxy is 100,000 light years across. A light year is the distance light travels in one year, at 186,000 miles a second.

Keep thinking about numbers like that, and your mind will be completely boggled. It puts me to sleep when that happens, so may work for you too.

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up all night last night trying to remember what "insomnia" was :/

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I found it rather funny when one night I was counting sheep in foreign languages (including Japanese), then started off identifying the sheep breeds and how many microns they had in their average fleece, and how much yarn you could get from an average fleece (I do some spinning and picked up the info from a group I am in). Put a different spin on 'counting sheep'. I did reject a few though cos they weren't quite right.

I have found a particular presenter on a tv channel sends me off when she is on so I am recording a couple of her shows and I can play them when I can't sleep! Not sure if she would be impressed by that though!

I found it rather funny when one night I was counting sheep in foreign languages (including Japanese), then started off identifying the sheep breeds and how many microns they had in their average fleece, and how much yarn you could get from an average fleece (I do some spinning and picked up the info from a group I am in). Put a different spin on 'counting sheep'. I did reject a few though cos they weren't quite right.

I have found a particular presenter on a tv channel sends me off when she is on so I am recording a couple of her shows and I can play them when I can't sleep! Not sure if she would be impressed by that though!

Can counting other animals help you sleep?

Jeremy

Don't know, would that be bed bugs, fleas or similar?

Could be. Do your sheep jump fences as they are counted? If I count fence-jumping sheep I then wonder what other animals can jump fences. Llams perhaps?

Jeremy

Could be. Do your sheep jump fences as they are counted? If I count fence-jumping sheep I then wonder what other animals can jump fences. Llams perhaps?

A lot of horses in this years grand national could'nt

Kangaroos, foxes, maybe even the odd lion and tiger, with this rainy weather you could turn into a version of Noah and count the animals two by two into the Ark!

Nice idea. Then I'd wonder how many animals were able to get on the ark before the HSE said it was overloaded, and whether the animals in question should be wearing hard hats and visi-jackets.

Jeremy

Its the space bit that worries me most.

In between my ears.

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

Going back to the animals, I wonder if anyone has thought about the environmental impact of moving all the species from their natural habitat, and of course the waste disposal problem!

Good morning Sillygirl,

I hope you're bright eyed and bushy tailed and raring to go on this miserable Friday!

That's an interesting point. I bet Noah didn't have to produce an environmental impact statement, did he? I also wonder how he prevented the tigers eating the karaboo for a mid-morning skack?

Jeremy

Nice idea. Then I'd wonder how many animals were able to get on the ark before the HSE said it was overloaded, and whether the animals in question should be wearing hard hats and visi-jackets.

Has Noah done a full, site specific risk assessment? Do the giraffes have Working at Height qualifications?

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Has Noah done a full, site specific risk assessment? Do the giraffes have Working at Height qualifications?

How about high-vis jackets to fit the elephants? Does the ark have lifeboats for all the animals?

Jeremy

How about high-vis jackets to fit the elephants? Does the ark have lifeboats for all the animals?

I bet Noah hasn't even given a thought to iceberg avoidance procedures. Illuminated exit signage? I don't think so!

We're all doomed with this joker in charge. :-(

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

I bet Noah hasn't even given a thought to iceberg avoidance procedures. Illuminated exit signage? I don't think so!

We're all doomed with this joker in charge. :-(

Probably a good job the HSE wasn't around back then. Actually, I wonder if they'd have prevent God creating the flood in the first place?

Jeremy

Probably a good job the HSE wasn't around back then. Actually, I wonder if they'd have prevent God creating the flood in the first place?

If they'd had any foresight whatsoever, they'd have stopped him creating the earth - that would definitely have reduced reportable incidents! Actually, thinking about it the EU working time directive probably would have stopped the creation in it's tracks anyway. Did he have breaks of at least 11 hours in any 24 hours?

Also, I've looked everywhere and God does not appear to have ISO9001:2008 certification - surely a project of this scale should have a robust Quality Management system?

If they'd had any foresight whatsoever, they'd have stopped him creating the earth - that would definitely have reduced reportable incidents! Actually, thinking about it the EU working time directive probably would have stopped the creation in it's tracks anyway. Did he have breaks of at least 11 hours in any 24 hours?

Also, I've looked everywhere and God does not appear to have ISO9001:2008 certification - surely a project of this scale should have a robust Quality Management system?

Not to mention public liability insurance.

Jeremy

How would he also manage lifeboat drill? Presumably the animals who can swim would be exempt!

The other issues would be the dangerous animal export licences and the health certificates.

Feeling a bit better this morning, had night out last night and also have visited Chinese herbalist to get some acupuncture to relieve stress - been very stressful time recently.

How would he also manage lifeboat drill? Presumably the animals who can swim would be exempt!

The other issues would be the dangerous animal export licences and the health certificates.

Feeling a bit better this morning, had night out last night and also have visited Chinese herbalist to get some acupuncture to relieve stress - been very stressful time recently.

And what about permits to handle endangered species like Natterjack Toads??

Hope you see light at the end of your stress tunnel. We're all here if you need to let off steam.

Jeremy