Admin Fees on Cash Sales?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am buying a 6 month old car from a Main Dealer for which I am paying the full amount in cash so not having any finance.

Tallking to the salesman today on the phone he mentioned there would be an admin fee to pay of about £140. I didn't get into a debate as I was just going out the door. I last purchased a 6 month old car from another main dealer 10 years ago and all I paid was the price on the screen.

My question: Is this normal practice nowadays or is this salesman trying to rip me off and put a few quid in his own pocket? I could understand paying admin fees when finance is involved but for paying cash, surely not?

There is no admin fee. Any costs to them would be included in the price of the car. Tell them you will only pay the price of the car and if they don't want your business then you will go somewhere that does.

The car is heavily discounted already compared to others of the same spec and mileage. I have sent the salesman a message asking him to email me (so I get it in writing) the reason for the fee considering it's a cash sale. If he doesn't oblige or drop it I will be speaking to his manager and if that fails they can lose my custom.

The car is heavily discounted already compared to others of the same spec and mileage. I have sent the salesman a message asking him to email me (so I get it in writing) the reason for the fee considering it's a cash sale. If he doesn't oblige or drop it I will be speaking to his manager and if that fails they can lose my custom.

This is the way to do things, if you aren't sure ask higher up. Did you see this in an advert and was any admin fee mentioned in that advert?

This is the way to do things, if you aren't sure ask higher up. Did you see this in an advert and was any admin fee mentioned in that advert?

There was nothing mentioned about admin fees in the advert apart from the usual fees in the illustration for the finance side of things.

Since asking the salesman to put the fees in writing and the reasons for them I haven't heard anything from him as yet so hopefully they'll be forgotten about. If they are mentioned again I will speak to the sales manager. I'm not picking the car up until the end of the month because my money isn't through until then so we'll see.

Ok, so we can assume then that you have reserved the car and placed a deposit to do that ?

If so and the admin fee wasn't mentioned before you paid, then you will be entitled to your deposit back on cancellation of the order if it doesn't continue.

That's good, I've only left £100 holding deposit but it's not the point. Nothing was mentioned about any fees. Surely it's like going to buy a new TV priced at £499, give the bloke £500, get the 1p change and then walk out with the goods. Good old Fraud dealers trying it on I think.

First time it was mentioned was on the phone yesterday when I told him I didn't want the extended warranty for £700 and the Supagard treatment for £300 which I can get done for £70. Once I told him that, his tone changed and he asked me how much the car was.... strange question!! When I told him he then mumbled something about an admin fee of 140 odd quid to be added. I think it's more the fact that he's getting less commission than he hoped for and is trying for a few more quid.

Well today I received this response from the salesman:

There is an administration fee of £149 which covers all paperwork to tax and register the vehicle to the new keeper.

Also included are as follows:-

Administration of 7 days free comprehensive insurance.

Full Valet.

Mileage verification check.

No outstanding finance certification.

No total loss damage certification.

Not stolen certification.

Fuel.

The only other chargeable item relating to the sale would be the relevant 6/12 months Road Fund Licence.

I responded by telling him that these items are basically a ruse on their part as the car is only six months old and has been used by the dealer as a demonstrator so they and I know the history of it. Plus the fact these fees are only applicable when the car is brand new not 6 months old and second hand.

I'm not bothered about the 7 days insurance cover because I will have my insurance set up from the time I collect it. Road tax when previously discussed, I was informed the car is presently taxed and no mention of any fees or additional costs were ever mentioned. I stated that I would pay the price for the vehicle less the deposit already paid and not a penny more. I didn't mention that if he disagreed I cancel the purchase, I thought I'd save that for later.

I then got a response agreeing to my terms, so it look as though I will be getting the car after all.

Thanks to everyone who got in touch.

I suppose you can't blame them for trying, and I think they probably realise they might loose the sale for the sake of £140 and that would be silly.

May you have a happy summer of trouble free motoring.

Mondeo Titanium in white with privacy glass, half leather seats and loads of other goodies.

You've got yourself a cracker. I've got the Titanium X in black. Your will share the same problem mine has. Lovely when it's clean. Take it out and it shows up every speck of muck!

Jeremy

Computer Problems? Give me a shout...

True, I remember having a white car years ago. Like you say, lovely when it's clean and then!!! Have you got Supagard on yours?

Hiya,

Not sure to be honest, but I do like to wash and wax it. It really shines when it's been turtle-waxed and buffed up.

After I've done that I want to put it in the garage and not drive it!

Jeremy

Don't blame you! The stealer wanted £300 to Supagard it, I had a look on the web and found a local company that do it. I contacted them for a quote and it was £70. I had to contact them again to confirm it's the same treatment the stealer offers as it was so cheap and it turns out it is. So that's another £230 Frauds tried making out of me!

Don't blame you! The stealer wanted £300 to Supagard it, I had a look on the web and found a local company that do it. I contacted them for a quote and it was £70. I had to contact them again to confirm it's the same treatment the stealer offers as it was so cheap and it turns out it is. So that's another £230 Frauds tried making out of me!

I actually really enjoy making my car shine too. Its quite theraputic and relaxing, and something physical for someone who works in IT and sites on his rear pressing buttons all day long.

Still trying to get used to keyless start. 20 years of inserting an ignition key is a hard habbit to break!

Jeremy

Yep, the keyless start, that will be a new one for me. I can imahing the first time the wife drives it....... should be comical watching her looking for the keyhole!!

Hi,

Just don't do what I did for the first couple of times. Mine's an auto, so you have to put your foot on the brake when you press the button (I think it's the clutch in a manual). I'd get in, press the button and wonder why it wouldn't start, not noticing the message in the instrument console saying "put foot on brake".

Now I put my left foot on the brake as I get in the car, and press the button as I sit down.

The other funny thing is that I often stop the engine with my left hand a few seconds after I've opening my door (at journies end) with my right hand. Of course the car then wanrs me that the drivers door is open!!!!

Jeremy

Hiya,

When are you getting your new chariott?

Jeremy