Cleaning agency - I need advice

mary_81
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everybody,

I am a 6-month pregnant woman with a 3-year-old toddler at home. In February this year I contacted a cleaning agency in order to have a cleaning lady help me out a little bit in the house once a week.

The service was mediocre (furniture barely cleaned, dust in every corner) but at least it was a relief to have someone once a week give me a hand.

What really annoyed me was the lack of punctuality of the cleaning ladies, when they were supposed to be at my place every Fri from 14-16 hs, they would arrive at 14h15, 14h20, even at 15h00 once, not that they did less time, they would always stayed the two hours that were needed, but everytime I needed to suit myself to be home and open the door for them, and if I had other things to do then I would be stuck at home waiting for them (that would not even give a phone call saying that they were late).

I had already complained about this issue when one day the cleaning lady totally stood me up and I was supposed to go get an ultrasound scan which of course I was late for. Two weeks ago I thought that enough was enough, the cleaning lady arrived late and I had another medical appointment, so I did not wait.

When she called me to ask me where I was cause she was ringing at my door and nobody was answering, I told her to go home, that I would contact the agency cause I was fed up. I emailed the person in charge asking her to cancel my contract with them immediately and I explained why. She did not even care to answer my email.

I read the contract and I was supposed to send a certified letter announcing the cancelation of the contract and I did. Only then I got an answer from the agency saying that they had "left me a voice mail" (not true) saying that I should have warned them about my disatisfaction with their services (I did warn them) and that it was not the lady's fault that her train was late.

Now they are asking me to pay a fine for finishing the contract without three month's notice and I am just so angry. My husband says that we should just pay the damn fee and get it over with but I want to write a complaint letter saying how unprofessional I find their answer of "if the train is late it is not her fault".

Could anyone help me word this letter in the most categorical way? I want these people to feel bad, even if I have to pay their fine.

I appreciate your help and advice. Mary.

Edited by honeybee13
Editing in some spacing for ease of reading.

Hi mary

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Hi, thanks for answering. Indeed the contract states that in order to finish my contract I am obliged to a 3-month-notice or to the payment of "termination of contract" fees. I wanted to get to know the cleaning lady first before giving them a set of keys to my house, that's why I had to be home when they would arrive. I know that at the end I would have to pay the fine they are asking for, but what annoys me is the nerf with which they answered my letter, basically is like it is my fault I am finishing the contract. I feel that they did not respect the terms of the contract with me (a cleaning lady once a week, 14-16 hs), and I find it hard to believe that I still have to pay a fine. I want to write a letter that says that they provide such a poor service that they cannot even guarantee the punctuality of their employees to the client, and that much more courtesy is expected from a person in charge.

Hello again.

Thank you for that.

You say that they blamed the trains; is this a problem where you live, would you say? And did you tell them you weren't happy with the standard of cleaning?

Does the contract contain anything about how they were supposed to carry out their role, or remedies if the service wasn't up to scratch please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi HB,

There is no problem with the trains in general, but sometimes they can be late, it has happened to me. However, if it happens systematically then it is not ok, is it? I was not satisfied with the standard of cleaning but I never complained and I am not planning to right now, it is over. The fact that the lack of punctuality annoyed me so much has to do with the fact that the service was not excellent, but what really broke the camel's back was the fact that I missed an appointment and almost missed a second one, that is why I decided to terminate the contract. The lady in charge argues that I did not warn them about my being disatisfied with the lack of punctuality but it is not true, I did. If I was in her position I would apologize because it is the fault of the agency that they cannot manage their employees properly, but instead of doing so she blames it on the trains, and that is the end of the story (according to her).

Thank you

Edited by mary_81

Personally, I doubt they would be much they could do if you told them to go whistle for their money... I doubt it would be enough for them to take you to court over. I would write to them, state that they broke the contract by not being punctual and keeping within the agreed times. If they want this money, they can take you to the county court where you will defend and let the judge decide.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I agree with the last post, there is probably little more you can do with further correspondence.

You could write and say that as they breached THEIR contract with you, their fees are not payable, point out that if they are going to pursue legal action then you expect them to follow the CPR Pre-Action Protocol provisions (they are designed to give both parties a last chance to resolve any dispute).

I dont believe that train times have much relevance, most of us have to get to work on time (or face disciplanry action), if ever Im going to be late I let my company know.

Andy