Parking Control Management -illegally towed car away & 2 days storage costs!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's a legal [problem] that is out of order...

My sister parked her car in a car park and this is her mistake. She parked at 10.45am. She returned at 3pm to find her car gone.

She tried over and over to phone PCM to get her car but there was no luck. The lady kept insisting that she needs to speak to a guy via mobile number, but noone was picking up on that mobile number. We could not obtain the address of the car pound or any other details.

The next morning we start heading to slough, and again we still cant get in touch with this mystery man at the car pound. I phone PCM main number again and scream at them to find him because we want the car back.

Eventually he switches on his phone (10.30am) and tells us we need to make an appoinment to get the car back. He offers 1pm, we insist 11.15am. He caved him when I blagged "Are you a memeber of the BPA, are you following the guidelines".

He gives me the post code and door number. Cant find the place. My sister phones back and he says there is no door number, and that we need to look for Glebe Farm. It wasn't easy, but we found it. There are no signs anywhere in or around the pound to tell people they are at the right place. Just two guard dogs, and no staff. We wait, he shows up.

He says they clamped her car at 11.30am, and they towed it at 2pm. Total charge £350.

We insisted that we couldnt pick the car up same day because he wasnt picking up the phone. He insisted that shes incurred 2 days storage charge.

We asked for some official ID that can tell us he is legally allowed to tow cars, he presented an SIA licence.

Now, this is the clever [problem]. They pick up cars, but its IMPOSSIBLE to collect the same day. They either wont pick up or they can say 'appointment only'. Their operating hours are 10am to 5pm, which makes it impossible for working folk to get their cars unless they take a day off the next day from work. Another part of the [problem] is that they dont want you to find the car pound. He clearly lied to me about the address, and theres no indication anywhere that there is a car pound there. This particular pound is located in Ruislip. Are the DVLA out of their minds? Is this all according to BPA regulations?

Also, the pricing is insane.

If they pick up a car at 2pm, close their office at 5pm, and i pick up the car the next morning at 10am, they can charge me for TWO DAYS storage. Even though I've only had a 3 hour window to get my car, which they would never let happen anyway. He explained they charge per calender day, but i said "you dont even operate per day, you dont even work normal office hours".

Out of order.

Further more, when you ring the number on the website, a message tells you to ring a mobile number if your car has been towed. But noone picks up this mobile number!! And the number given to me the next day is different.

Its like a legal paradox that is out of control in London.

Edited by mr_spine

So what do you want to do about it?

As I understand it, theres nothing I can do. They probably have not broken any rules, so I was just venting

I think that there is alot you can do if you are prepared to go the distance.

These people are bullies but you can stand up to them if you want to. We would be happy to support you but it will probably mean a County Court action. A county court claim would be failry easy - failry risk free and with a high chance of success.

Regardless of the signage, the charge is excessive and could be reclaimed back just for that reason. If there was any sort of contract then the OP ws prevented from carrying out his side of the contract by the dilatory behaviour/tactics of the company.

I have no doubt that a judge would be in sympathy with the claiment very quickly and I can imagine that the company would back down rather than go to court and then face the publicity which we could get for them.

Was there any clear signage in place warning of towing etc?

Ill double check later but the sign only mentioned clamping prices (140, or 190 the next day).

My post title has changed. Maybe the moderator added "illegally towed car away". I dont believe it was illegal.

My concern is the price and their tactics to ensure they hold your car at least 2 days by making it impossible to contact them. Also, you can only get your car back by appointment only, which makes things even harder. Is that all ok with the BPA? Are prices regulated?

Ive had to visit two pounds before. Both the next day after my car was towed away. Both were under £180. This Parking Control Management deal seems very very shady.

Edited by mr_spine

Regardless of the signage, the charge is excessive and could be reclaimed back just for that reason. If there was any sort of contract then the OP ws prevented from carrying out his side of the contract by the dilatory behaviour/tactics of the company.

I have no doubt that a judge would be in sympathy with the claiment very quickly and I can imagine that the company would back down rather than go to court and then face the publicity which we could get for them.

I'm not disagreeing with you but if it was me and the signage dosn't mention the threat of towing, I would be reporting the matter to the police.

Yes, it would be nice if the police would get involved - but I'm afraid that this kind of thing is scarcely likely to be high in their list of priorities.

I think that the most effective way is to do it yourself and that means getting very business-like about it. A single letter, a short warning and then issue the papers.

Are the clampers in the same area as you?

Remember to include the landowner as joint defendant in any court action.

Yes, why not. At the least that would stir it up between them a bit.