• Tweets

• Another one. Apparently this has been hushed up for about three months. They're working through their majority quite fast with all the sackings. Not that they've done anything about Menzies yet but he sounds like a blackmail risk. Here's the original article.   Revealed: Tory MP allegedly demanded campaign cash to pay ‘bad people’ ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 07:32:33 UTC  
    • and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses." The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses   ALSO According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”.   Hes supposed to use funding from Taxpayers and doners for a life of service, not funding a life of drink and debauchery Hope his parliamentary expenses are also investigated.   In fact, perhaps Mr Bates next role in life should be as an independent investigator of Parliamentary expenses?
    • He asked for that one, didn't he?
    • Trump was unable to make it through the first day of court without falling asleep on Monday, which sparked a whole host of jokes, memes and even a new nickname, 'Dozy Don'    
    • The shift to card and contactless technology in the past decade has been rapid - not just in Britain, but in all sorts of remote pockets of the world. This is yet a further sign of it.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3376 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, this is my first visit

I have a 14 year old son who was recently diagnosed with Aspergers syndrome, which is a form of Autism.

He has obsessive tendencies, which is one of the symptoms, and as such 'demands' that I take him to his favourite places on a Saturday.

I approached my employer and asked for my hours to be amended to accommodate this and was open and honest and explained the situation fully.

They made me fill in the relevant forms, and then knocked me back, stating their reasons, all of which dont hold any water. They first claim cost when I proved that cost would be zero and also that they couldnt 'cover my duty' of a Saturday, when I have evidence that my job has been covered every time that I was off on holiday on a Saturday.

I have since become absent due to stress and anxiety and have attempted to contact my manager by email, requesting various documentary evidence that he claims to have to support him, but he has not answered three emails.

My simple question is, where do I go next?

Any help greatly appreciated

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to CAG. I'm sorry to hear of your problems, stress and anxiety are miserable, I know.

I expect the guys will be here over the course of the day, please bear with us until someone more knowledgeable than me comes along.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Welcome to the CAG, sorry to hear about your troubles

OK, well the Equality Act is on your side. It is illegal for an employer to discriminate against someone who is disabled or "third party disability" its not stated as that in the Equality Act but I cannot remember the exact wording. The fact that your son has a known "disability" in other words he finds things harder than most people, means that you can request reasonable adjustments. Don't apply for flexible working, I think that is what you applied for, which they have every right to turn down.

Go back to them, state that under the Equality Act 2010, you are requesting reasonable adjustments to assist in the care of your son.

They cannot turn down your request, even if it costs them a little. If they turn down your request then they are guilty of Disability Discrimination. That should scare the crap out of them!

I will take a look and find the relevant parts of the act to quote at them.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Discrimination by Association - thats the phrase i was looking for!

The concept of discrimination based on association and perception is not in itself a new concept and actually existed under case law, to a limited extent, prior to the introduction of the Equality Act. Most notably, the case of Coleman v Attridge Law and another [2008] extended the old legislation to cover associative disability discrimination. In the case of Coleman, the claimant, who was the primary carer for her disabled son, claimed that she had been treated less favourably on account of her son's disability and therefore discriminated against on the basis of disability. Crucially, the claimant herself was not disabled.

That should help you lots!

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Good Luck :)

If I were to resign or be made redundant and this was still not resolved, how would I stand on claiming Constructive dismissal? I know this may be jumping the gun a bit, but it could happen!!

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me

I have applied to my employer to change my hours of work due to my son being diagnosed with a Disability and my need to care for him.

They refused stating nonsense reasons and are not responding to my emails either.

There are voluntary redundancies in the offing at the moment and my question is this:-

If I was to take one of these 'voluntary' options, could I then make a claim for constructive dismisal on the grounds hat I have been forced to take this option due to their intransigence in following the Equality Act?

Hi TheUmp

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Hi

This PDF from ACAS on may be of some help:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me

I have applied to my employer to change my hours of work due to my son being diagnosed with a Disability and my need to care for him.

They refused stating nonsense reasons and are not responding to my emails either.

There are voluntary redundancies in the offing at the moment and my question is this:-

If I was to take one of these 'voluntary' options, could I then make a claim for constructive dismisal on the grounds hat I have been forced to take this option due to their intransigence in following the Equality Act?

Did you apply for flexible working using the statutory process or was it just done informally?

Did the employer give their reasons in writing? Are you able to give an outline as to what they were?

I appreciate that you have said they were 'nonsense reasons' but your problem is that it is only a right to ASK for flexible working, not that you MUST be given what you ask for. Providing that the employer's reasons for refusal are for genuine business reasons (and they may be many and diverse!) then they have satisfied their requirements.

The constructive dismissal option is an absolute non-starter. As previously stated, provided that they have satisfied their requirement, then they will have done nothing which could be construed as a serious breach of contract, which is a fundamental element of a CD claim. The fact that you may disagree with their reasons is sadly not sufficient. The Equality Act does not come into it - the legislation is S.80F of the Employment Rights Act.

If the statutory process has not been followed then you may have an argument and there is a right of appeal, after which if the reasons given by the employer are not justifiable, then you may go to an Employment Tribunal.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

There is theoretically the possibility of binging an Equality Act claim for discrimination by association, but as SW noted, there'd have to be unfair treatment and a genuine failure to consider the request.

Voluntary redundancy is still a dismissal in law, so you couldn't bring a constructive dismissal claim in those circumstances.

The employer gave me the reason that he thought that quality would be effected by way of nobody covering my 'work' when I was absent, but they are currently undergoing a complete change in everybody's work hours, so my request could easily be accommodated. I also have evidence (signing on sheets) that each time that I have been absent on the days requested, that my job has ALWAYS been covered by other members of staff. He gave me three options, one was getting 'someone' to cover my work on the day that I need and I do his work on another day, which can't happen because of working regs, the other was to break off from my work on a Saturday morning, go and care for my son, and then return to my work, which is a complete non starter due to Security reasons (Site would be closed when I return with my vehicle) The third option, he has not explained to me properly, but seems to suggest that I would pay someone to do my work (which of course is illegal).

The frustrating thing is that I am emailing him with various requests for informatiion and he completely ignores them; I have now forwarded all of the emails to his line manager to see if anything happens

Sorry, also forgot to mention that there is another employee who works on the same site who has the same circumstances as me and has been accommodated to a greater degree than my request. They know that I know about this as I informed them at my interview.

P.S I have made a formal request and been refused and am awaiting my appeal, they are not adhering to timescales!!

Hi all

Before I go on, I have already read many threads on the forum saying how difficult a CD claim can be, but here goes.

Ive been employed in a very large Comapany for 25 years (unblemished)

My son was diagnosed with a recognised disability in January

My request for a change of hours after full and honest disclosure about his disability, was refused due to quality and cost reasons

I am currently absent due to stress and anxiety (4 weeks and counting)

Manager ignores my emails on the subject; I emailed to say that I wished to appeal the decision, but nothing happened as yet (email sent 16 May)and no referral to OHS so far, although standards state that this should take place on day one of absence.

I am currently considering a couple of alternatives

1. Employment Tribunal

2. Another manager contacted me last Friday and offered me voluntary redundancy!! (I stated in a 1-2-1 a while ago that I would consider this)

If I took the VR, could I also pursue a CD claim?

Could I request the VR to be put on hold pending my ongoing ' hour change' request?

Could I just resign now and claim CD?

I have copies of the emails that I have sent to my line manager and his superior, and Ii have been attaching the emails that have been ignored to the newer sent messages

Quality and cost are valid business reasons to refuse your request so I cannot see this succeeding as CD sorry to say.

So I think if your appeal fails you have 2 choices

a) find a way to work your contracted hours or

b) take VR

You can ask if they will delay VR and see what they say. Unless you have provided different ways the work could be covered in your appeal, however, I would not expect an appeal to succeed.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Emmzzi, the Equality Act states that any reasonable cost should be born by the employer.

I also have evidence to say that the cost would be a net of nil (too much to go into here), and that quality would not be affected, to which I have historical evidence to the contrary

Did you put all of this in your request for flexible working?

"Reasonable" can vary greatly with employer size. Small family firms are not expected to do as much as say the council. Even if cost is not a factor if they assess quality as an issue then still no win.

Did you suggest a trial period?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

My manager gave me the impression that it was a formality that I would be granted the change. There was never any conversation regarding a trial period. Indeed there is already a member of staff, with exactly my circumstances, who has been granted a more flexible work pattern than the one that I have requested

you will see from this

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Flexibleworking/DG_10037051

that the onus is clearly on you to describe how the effects of the change can be managed.

Requests are judged in date order, not on respective merits. So even if other person has occassional childcare issues, and you have them daily, they do not have to revoke the other person's arrangements, or grant yours because you are "worse off."

I am sorry this will not be what you want to hear, but I always believe the right information is important in heping you prepare options.

ps if you genuinely believe the impact on employer will be minimal - suggest that trial period now! 12 weeks would be common.

Hi

Have a read og this ACAS guide on flexible working:

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks for all of the advice, but I have discovered that the situation has now changed. Since my absence the employer has 'changed' the working hours of everybody, which is even wose for me!!(I have not had any consultation over this). This is going to have a serious impact on the whole of my working life, and I feel that I will have to resign now!!!

Please, some advice!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I expect that this question has been asked in some form before, but I can't find any reference to it, so here goes

My wife works for a large religious organisation and has told me that recently about five or six members of staff were told that they would have to re-apply for their jobs. The staff all work in the gift shop and have varying hours ranging from 37 1/2 hours to 8 hours (1 day, being a Sunday). The shop has been selling well and is under no financial difficulties.

They all applied for their jobs and were told that they now had different hours, the most severe being the 37 1/2 was reduced to 24, and the 8 being given no job at all, (she has worked for just over a year).

One was actually increased from 19 to 25! and they didnt want the increase!

I think that the whole process is wrong but would welcome the views of the knowledgeable on here

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have posted on here in the recent past and am just embarking on the road to an ET against my 'caring' employer, with the main claim being Disability Discrimination by association. I have legal advice from a legal employment law charity in my city, but have read somewhere that there are library books giving advice on Tribunal Tactics. Does anybody know the title of any of these books so that I can do some homework

Thanks in advance