Car Insurance Claim question

BRAINSDB74
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wonder if someone might be able to give me some advice.

I was driving yesterday on a dual carriageway when a cat ran out so I slammed my brakes on and someone ran into the back of me.

On inspection there was no damage to my car (a 4x4), as contact had hit the tow bar, but the car behind did have damage.

We swapped details, etc., but my question is as there was no damage to my car and I would like to think the blame was clearly on the other driver for being too close, do I need to let my insurance company know or just let them deal with it should the other parties insurance company get in touch with them.

If they do need to be informed, would I still be liable to pay my excess (which is pretty hefty) as I am not making a claim. (As with everyone money is tight right now). Also would if affect my no claims.

Many thanks in advance for any comments.

Kind regards.

Hi brains

Welcome to CAG

You should report it to your insurance company, although you don't intend on claiming, in your T & C's it should state that all accidents should be reported, regardless of claims.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Suggest that you contact your Insurers. You have to, per the conditions in your policy.

As soon as the third party realises the consequences of the accident e.g excess, loss of no claims discount, increased premiums, they might change their mind about who was at fault. Just a cynical view, but unfortunately, it does happen.

Some people will say that they never saw a cat and there is no independent witness to say there was a cat. They will say that you braked seemingly unnecessarily and not in a safe way. Even if there had been a cat, you would have had to consider other road users.

So in summary, do not assume it is a non fault accident, for which you will hear no more about.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the input guys. Perhaps I was wrong in simply assuming that if someone was too close to me to stop safely then it was their fault. However not sure how I could possibly have 'stopped safely' when you only have a second to react.

Thanks for the input guys. Perhaps I was wrong in simply assuming that if someone was too close to me to stop safely then it was their fault. However not sure how I could possibly have 'stopped safely' when you only have a second to react.

People twist information to suit them. They could say that you braked so sharply that they did not have time to stop.

Speak to your Insurers and then see what happens.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

yes defo inform nsurance company with your version of events and details of damage for information only.

I doubt you will hear anything more, unless TP does claim! but I think you will be in the clear.

Are you absolutely sure there is no damage to your vehicle, bent chassy member or the like where tow bar fitted.

No had my car looked over last night by a friend and looks fine. Literally just a scratch on the tow bar. Is it better for me to say there was a car stopped in front of me rather than a cat running out, to keep it as black and white as possible, or would this be dodgy... ? I'm worried now as I just thought that the rule would be that if he did not have time to stop, he was too close so it would be his fault. I guess what I'm trying to say is by the letter of teh law should I have just run over the cat !? I did not have any time to even think unfortunately. (The cat was fine BTW).

Generally it is the person from behind that would be viewed as at fault. So just keep to the facts about what happened, when you make the report to your Insurers.

My posts were designed to explain why you should report the accident to your Insurers and not to worry you about the third party twisting facts. Guess I failed !

No problem and thanks for the advice UncleBulgaria67. I'm just one of those pessamistic people that thinks everyone is out to rip me off :-)

Yes, it is not a bad outlook to have. Then when you receive good service or value for money, it makes you feel ecstatic. Plus you are always on your guard and then don't give them the chance to rip you off.

99.999999999999999999% not your fault, unless you stopped for a pheasant, then your in trouble. Cat's are fine. Anyone well versed in motor insurance claims will know what I'm talking about, i've not been to the pub (which is a shame) .

Many thanks Mwynci. Do you know if they will ask me to pay excess if I am not claiming anything myself. (I'm sure the other party will be claimign for damage to his car... a jag...). I simply can't afford anything right now.

You would only pay an excess for damage to your own vehicle. If the third party wanted to pursue a claim against you, your Insurers will deal with it under your third party cover.