called a liar and dishonest.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4337 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So a really long story but here is the shortened version, yesterday was my last day at my former employer, when I resigned from my position I had told them I was resigning on the basis of lack of support and ill health (the job was making me very stressed, depressed and I had anxiety attacks). I did not go into details about my health problems I was vague about my reasons. On my resignation I informed them I did not have another job to go to. About two weeks later I got called by a recruitment agency to say there was a great opportunity at a good firm and they would like to interview. I was still working my notice period, and took the time off as annual leave to attend the first and second interview. I was offered the job and accepted.

I at this point did not think it necessary to tell my employer because I had already handed in my notice and was simply working my notice period. The company that offered me the job then wrote to employer asking for references. I got called into the meeting room and she basically called me a liar and told be I had been dishonest about my reasons for leaving, she even brought up the fact I was a christian and I had lied. I explained to her at the time of resigning my reasons were the truth and the job offer was unexpected and after I resigned.

I have to repay my study fees and I last week asked if I could repay these over a 4 month period which she agreed to, in the meeting yesterday she told me that agreement was null and void and she expected all her money on her desk on monday and said that even at the point of agreeing the repayment of my fees I did not tell them. She kept calling me a liar and told me that she could report me to the regulatory body for the financial services for dishonesty and I could be struck off and not be able to practice. She then asked me to leave her office which I did went upstairs to another meeting room and spoke to a colleague as I was upset about the whole situation, she came in and told me to leave the premises. I picked up my stuff and left.

What I would like to know, was I in the wrong for not telling them about the job? Bearing in mind, I received the invitation to interview after I resigned and therefore accepting the job offer after. does it make me a liar, therefore questioning my character? I am not sure if she will refuse to give a reference or not, should I let my new employer know that she may or may not give me a reference?

Does she have any grounds for getting me struck off? and therefore ruining my career?

Where do I stand?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are under no obligation to give reasons for resigning from a company. She cannot give you a bad reference either.

But she can refuse to give me a reference should i letnew employer know that this maybe the case? or wait and see?

My gut feel is she is irritated at you moving on and will calm down from a bad first reaction; you moving should suit you both.

She can in fact give you a "bad" reference as long as it is factual. I would talk to HR of propsective new employer, and I would also think about an alternative manager at your workplace who may offer a personal reference.

I cannot see grounds for you being struck off in what you have written. Anything else you are not telling us? Any payoffs , compromise agreements, redundancy etc?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I would only say that if you give an old employer as a reference to a new employer it would be courteous to tell the old employer that they may be contacted.

Your employer can give a very basic ref which will just say dates you were employed capacity etc which will tell new employer nothing really, or thay can say that they would prefer not to give a ref, could be a good idea to have a quick word with new HR dont go into any details except to say that as old employer isnt happy about you leaving they may be difficult about a ref, and give them an alternative person to contact.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.