• Tweets

• Okay so potentially it may not even get sold on? Just the default left for 6 years then gone? but if it is sold on ill get a letter from the DCA which is the notice of assignment? Sorry what is the different between a default notice and a default cal marker? yes, i may try and work arrangements out with the OCs after the breathing space but I'll see my circumstances then thank you again for all your help and patience, I really appreciate it and apologies If i am too fast or repeating myself.
    • receiving a default NOTICE (forget simple default cal markers) does not mean it will get sold on... OC's very very rarely do court themselves.  if it does you would receive a Notice of Assignment from the debt buyer/DCA.  as for reduced payment if it remains with the OC and they issue a DN, no harm in trying but lets get all your ducks inline first. dx  
    • okay thanks do you know how long it will take for it to get to the DCA or could the OC try and issue a CCJ? even though it's unlikely also for example would the OC agree to a reduction and a small payment over a super lengthy period of time if agreed? Rather than go through chasing apologies again for all the questions, just trying to understand all the possible scenarios.  
    • Currently - "the maximum daily price at 100p / kWh for electricity and 30p / kWh for gas – keep in mind that's a lot higher than the Ofgem Energy Price Cap, so if you can't afford prices to increase further, you're probably better off sticking with a protected tariff such as Flexible Octopus." Octopus Tracker is a product of our labs, available now to customers through our beta programme. Octopus Tracker is a beta product. Some things may not work the first time, and installations and processes may take longer than we'd like. Third party tech like In-home Displays won't always work, and on occasion data issues with smart meters can take significant time to fix or prevent things from working at all.   Copied straight from octopus   Feel free to shove it somewhere else    
    • depends what the fees are, typically nothing can be added once judgement is passed bar litigation costs. on document retention time limits etc at least 6yrs previous must be held though many hold complete info. as for acronyms and abbreviations ideally yes they should     
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Could it really be this easy!?

cantsay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6362 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Jb

You are entitled to enter a claim which is reasonable, the MBNA are being amicable because it suits them and its saving them shed loads of money.

It is in my opinion reasonable for you to charge them the same rate for borrowing your cash as they would have charged you. For my account it was 22.4% and compounded over the period in question.

I believe that many people have been settling on the basis they're getting something they're not, i.e. some compensation for having their money unlawfully removed.

I could be wrong but so far I haven't seen many people claiming back contractual interest, or indeed any interest, on what they have actually already paid out (i.e. charges plus interest at 16.9% or whatever rater applied to the card).

I think that everyone should understand what they can claim if they wish to rather than relying on the defendant to tell them.

If people are happy to settle for what the MBNA offer thats their affair and I'm pleased for them.

I suspect that many people don't realise they are in effect potentially loosing out by not working out what they want.

As to a court thinking you being harsh, put it this way, if you owed MBNA those charges they would add interest on top. They may at some stage decide to write some of it off. This is not an act of kindness on their part its effective business since theres a point where having some cash is better than chasing the rest ad infinitum.

So its your call, I you ask me the claim isn't settled until the claimant is happy or the court tells them thats it.

I would pursue them till you are happy and the contractual interest is part of that.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"if people are happy to settle for what the MBNA offer thats their affair and I'm pleased for them.

I suspect that many people don't realise they are in effect potentially loosing out by not working out what they want."

I think your missing the point, I, and many other people phoned up MBNA after working out how much we were owed, plus interest at 8% which was the advised amount to go for, and MBNA, unsolicited, offered to pay contractual interest from between 19.3% in my case to as much as 25%+! So were all got more than we thought we were going to get! I for one was more than happy, especially after reading the nightmares other people were going through. Plus also even if it was slightly wrong, I am happy to pay a premium for things being handled quickly and politely. As ive said in other prints MBNA deserve some respect for they they are handling this as far as I'm concerned.

"if people are happy to settle for what the MBNA offer thats their affair and I'm pleased for them.

I suspect that many people don't realise they are in effect potentially loosing out by not working out what they want."

I think your missing the point, I, and many other people phoned up MBNA after working out how much we were owed, plus interest at 8% which was the advised amount to go for, and MBNA, unsolicited, offered to pay contractual interest from between 19.3% in my case to as much as 25%+! Was this in addition to the charges and interest youhad actually paid? If it was then thats good, if it wasnt then you have missed the opportunity to claim the contractual rate on top. It is your right to claim interest on top of everythng you have paid out at the contractual rate. So were all got more than we thought we were going to get! I for one was more than happy, thats your choice and if your happy thats fine. especially after reading the nightmares other people were going through. Plus also even if it was slightly wrong, I am happy to pay a premium for things being handled quickly and politely If you havent claimed contractual interest on top of the charges and interest you have paid out, you may well have paid a premium. The premium for some people can be a signficnat amount of money. As ive said in other prints MBNA deserve some respect for they they are handling this as far as I'm concerned. I disagree, MBNA are a business loking after their interest nothing more, if they want respect then they should be writing to all thier customers and refunding the charges plus interest alrerady paid and contractulainterest on top. If you perceive they are beng nice then thats cool, i believe their approach is pragamatic and is primarily aimed at reducing the cost to MBNA, nothing more.

I dont think Im missing the point at all, my claim was for £832 worht of charges, the uinterest at the contractual rate was £313. When I added contractual interest and charges on top it came to £1750.

Thats the point, it doubled my claim for some people the impact will be signficantly more than doubling their claim depending on how old the charges are.

If you feel this is upsetting the MBNA applecart then Im sorry, but claimaints shoudl have availabel the information they need to make informed decisions.

I have seen many, many people being adivsed to ring up and let MBNA work out what they should get, if it works for you thats fine.

All I am doing is highlighting that there is another side to the coin.

JMHO

GLenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thats fine.You are indeed right, I didnt realise, just went by what was recommended on the site, as , charges plus interest @8% and I had a figure in front of me and when they voluntarily offered to pay contractual interest I was more than happy, especially as I got £400 more than I thought I was entitled to. I realise now I could have got more, but with all the hassle I'm getting from LLoyds I was happy just to put this one to bed. Do you not agree though, that comapred to some other banks MBNA have been a pleasure to deal with?

Thats fine.You are indeed right, I didnt realise, just went by what was recommended on the site, as , charges plus interest @8% and I had a figure in front of me and when they voluntarily offered to pay contractual interest I was more than happy, especially as I got £400 more than I thought I was entitled to. I realise now I could have got more, but with all the hassle I'm getting from LLoyds I was happy just to put this one to bed. Do you not agree though, that comapred to some other banks MBNA have been a pleasure to deal with?

Cantsay

I haven't spoken to any of the other banks so i cant compare. ROFL of course that speaks volumes and yes Gareth Tunnicliffe is a nice bloke, but I believe its part of his job resolve these matters as cost effectively as he can.

I'm not trying to upset people and it wasn't until i settled myself that i realised how it worked with MBNA.

I didn't at the start have a schedule written out. I wasn't going to agree to anything on the phone though until i was satisfied. Since i changed my claim because I had to correct some estimated charges this made me sit down and work out what I wanted to settle in detail.

I ended up with everything i wanted, but do acknowledge that i think i lost around £100 through an error on my part.

I'm not trying to cause grief just make sure people have the opportunity to get back everything their entitled to.

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hello,

:idea: :confused: :idea: :confused: :idea:

As the norm seems to be now, sure enough after sending my Data Protection letter and receiving a letter explaining full response by 15th, I have now received a letter from MBNA, blah blah valid charges, blah blah letter, but with a good will gesture of £150 which they have already credited to my account, for £328 of charges.

Now I'm not the best at confrontations/negotiations, so a little bit apprehensive on my next approach. Seems I need to call but what do I say!!!!!!!! or do i send/fax a letter?

My letter is from Stephen Bailey, is he ok???

And what do i say about the possible charge/default notice on my credit rating that is mentioned in the next letter?

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent MBNA 18-09 30/09/06 Rcd Ltr ack fax, exp full resp by 15/10

13/10/06 Recd ltr offer goodwill. 18/10/06 prelim with acc of part s'mnt, req rem.11/11/06

15/11/0 Full refund received!:)

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Sent to Halifax 18-09 04/10/06 Recd Stmts 06/10/06 Prelim Lt

31/01/07 lba snt (bit late!!)

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) Snt Halifax 06-10 for b'frds ac. 31/01/07 prelim ltr

my letter was fom stephen bailey too. but everyone was talking about this paul miney so when i phoned i asked for him. he was very pleasant and it did not feel confrontational. ganted i may not have got as much back as i could have because i wasn't clear about the inteest. i didn't and still don't understand the stuff about interest at contractual rate and contractual interest. pauil miney was very helpful but is obviously not going to hand out more than he needs to to make you happy so be clear about what you are asking for - i just asked for the interest so serves me right.

He asked me what i thought of thier complaints handling by phone. i said i thought it was good in that it was quick and personal unlike many other banks. MBNA are vey much going along the lines of effective customer service and damage limitation.

I would not hesitate in using the phone to contact them but just make sure you know what you are asking for - unlike me!!

Yorkshire Bank: Claim for £4777.85! :o MCOL sent 03/10/06

hi all

i have two accounts with Lloyd's and have been chard much money over many many years and left me with big debts.to pay off

and i will try to clame some if it back

my question is for about 18 months i tryed Abbey to see if thay was any better

but no ,, the charges where more than Lloyd's so i went back to lloyds,

i had to pay abbey off with a credit card witch i did .

and the account was shut down,

can i clame back charges from abbey over four years ago when the account is now shut ?

any help would be good ?

PS/ got a letter from Lloyd's to day for £135.00 bank charges for September

not happy

oiler0

I recieved 3 letters from MNBA last week, first said sorry your not happy he £600 we offered is on its way, the second a cheque for £600.

Can you guess what the third was???

Well I n longer have an account with them and it seems that to raise the cheque they had to set one up (without my permission), they then paid the £150 cheque out of it and paid the money into it 2 days later.

Can you tell what it is yet????

Yep a statement for an account I did not open and a charge of £12 for exceeding my credit limit.

It really isn't that easy.

My current plan is to ignore the whole thing and wait for it to get very silly before I tell them what they have done.

Any better suggestions.

I will also be pursuing the contractural interest they didn't think they owed as the account was closed.

All done I think

Could not get past the gatekeeper to Paul Miney, instead got Yvonne who did offer to refund all my charges in full but got aggressive when asked about the interest and told me that they would not calculate it for me, if I wanted to take it further I had to write in :( So off goes my prelim request.

I think they are now getting wise, I eventually had a call back from Paul Miney today, and although he was helpful he also would not calculate the interest for me and said I had to write in!!

I think that many organisations are changing their tack, it seems to me this is probably due to the number and cost of claims.

I have seen changes of how information is supplied or not as well as how claims are settled or not, MBNA are only one changing, the Coop and GE money seem also to be changing their tack.

This may be a temporary glitch and MBNA may revert to type, but I suspect that the commercial decision to settle easily and quickly may influence that choice on the part of MBNA.

Maybe its my fault encouraging people to push for what they are entitled to claim rather than accepting whats being offered, although I have to say that although this site is large its the only one i frequent on this issue and id be surprised if the members of the MBNA thread had that much clout.

Anyway lets hope that people continue to get whats rightfully theirs and that MBNA revert to type and give in easily.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

yes, us too, our friend Mr Miney was 'off' would not work out the interest and we too have to write in - no problem, just off to send our prelim letter - not a problem if they don't want to play ball - we'll get our cash in the end even if we have to see you in court....

PLEASE sign this petition to reduce amount of time CRAs hold your data

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/CreditRA

I HATE MBNA :evil::-x:mad::-x

When you phoned Mr Miney, did you have any figures worked out yourself, or did you just phone and say "I've got a claim against you... how much are you going to refund me"?

I've worked out all the figures except the interest on the charges (ie. the bit that Glenn UK is always going on about :) ) and I was going to try and get them to work that bit out for me... maybe if I hit them with 95% of what I know they owe me, they might just work the last bit out seeing as it's the most difficult bit to do.

BOS CC1 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 14/9/06

BOS CC2 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 14/9/06

FD CC SAR sent 14/9/06, PAR sent 10/10/06 claiming £457, sodoff letter rec'd 25/10/06, LBA sent 26/10/06

MBNA CC SAR sent 14/9/06, reply 22/9/06 looking into it, sodoff letter +£400 GW rec'd 13/10/06

Let Battle Commence...

I did have all the other figures, which I gave to him which he said he would pay up, but when I asked him about the interest he said he can't pay interest as I hadn't mentioned I was claiming that in my letters (which I did as the last paragraph mentions something along the lines of I will be claiming charges plus interest & court fees) When I pointed that out to him, he said he cant discuss it over the phone, so then I asked him nicely if he could work out how much it was so I could add it to my claim and again he said I have to put it in writing.

There must be a lot of people ringing and asking about interest now - we spoke to Colin Pugh who said he could calculate it (this was on Monday) but would have to get back to us on Tuesday as it took a while. He rang on Tuesday at 12.30pm to give us a figure which we agreed to. Happy to get it finished with! Maybe just too many requests are coming in and its easier to deal with them when they're in writing. I would send it off ASAP then to be first in what could be a monstrous queue!!

I had calculated the total charges but I did not need to tell them as they new instantly and said they would increase their previous offer which came back after the DPA subject release to cover all charges.

I then told them that was the figure I had and it was a good offer but I had calculated the interest myself and realised it added up to a substantial amount so would accept their offer as a partial payment but would require the interest to be paid back as well. I then said that an associate of mine had called mr miney and he was able to quickly provide this exact amount, which I said would be of assistance to ensure that I had calculated it correctly and we were in agreement on how much interest had been paid on these charges. But she was not entertaining it.

I have calculated my interest based on how many months since the date of the charge * by my current monthly interest rate then added all these together. I think this will be fairly accurate but does not account for any changes in interest rate and does not cumulate the interest charges i.e apply interest on the interest. Do you think I should just run with this or not include the amount of interest that I have calculated on my prelim and just say that I require all interest paid on the charges to be repaid and leave the ball in their court to decide how much that is??

Damian

sound cool, use the value you have calculated as the interest you have paid on the charges, then add contractual interest to the lot to get your final figure.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Thanks Glenn,

Thats the bit I was not sure about if I still added the contractual interest to the lot. So my claim is for £810 in charges and 591 in interest on the charges which equals 1401 I then apply the cash advance figure for 1 year to this (will have to check but for now lets say thats 20%) so its 1401 * 20%= £280

Total = £1691

Damian

You've almost got it, using your example its 20%/365 added daily and compounded.

So on day one you take the charge and interest then calculate the interest on this total, then day two you take the previous days total including the interest you added and do the whole thing again, so on day two its (Original stake + interest) plus interest.

You repeat this process for each charge on a daily basis until you reach the date of settlement, if you entering this as a schedule of charges then its the submission date, but the interest accrues daily.

The total interest will be more than the simple interest and the longer it goes on the more significant it becomes.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA