Mattressman.co.uk Issue

Soulpole79
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I initially ordered my mattress over a year and a half ago, I was delighted. The mattress came promptly and seemed to be of good quality (Silent Night). However, after a few months there was extreme subsidence in the mattress and this lead to severe dipping and springs poking up through the bed.

I reported this and was asked to send in photographs of the issues. I did so and Mattressman agreed there was an issue and sent me a replacement mattress very quickly - again, I was satisfied as these things can happen.

Not three weeks later the same issue arose and rather than wait I reported it straight away as it seemed that the line of mattresses was faulty as it seemed unlikely that 2 separate mattresses would have the same fault. I was told I had to wait 3 months to allow for a "settling period" where Mattressman clearly expected the springs to magically fix themselves and strengthen up. I waited a few months and then again, I was asked to forward photos as evidence and again I did so, showing the exact same issues as before.

This time though, I was informed that Silent Night saw no fault and as such I would not get a replacement. I could pay £75 for an independent inspection though, if I wanted to prove a fault. I didn't see why I I asked for a refund and was refused this as there was no fault. When I wouldn't accept this, I was then told there was a fault but it was that I clearly sat in the edge of the bed and this is what caused the entire mattress to subside, but as a goodwill gesture, not an acceptance of fault, I would be permitted to spend my initial purchase price and add some more to it to buy another more expensive mattress but only from the Silent Night range. Basically I was being told where to spend my money and as a good will gesture they would even allow me to spend more of my money. Wasn't that good of them?

If you buy a Sony TV from Dixons and bring it back faulty, you are not told you can only buy a more expensive Sony TV - you can spend what you like on any range from that shop.

I sent relevant extracts from the Sale of Goods Act 1979 showing that they were in breach of the criteria and highlighting the section that showed that the SELLER must bear the costs of proving the fault and all costs relating to it. I was then told that the director of Mattressman was happy with how the issue was handled and that I would not be dealt with again unless I agreed to pay the £75 inspection fee. Although this would be refunded if a fault was proven, I simply do not have it to spare and I found that Mattressman were far less helpful than I would have liked, given that I was initially happy with the service like most other people.

How can I go about getting a refund without paying the £75?

Hi soul

Welcome to CAG

How did you pay for the mattress? Have a read of 12 and 13 in my signature.

12) SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE

13) WHICH? TEMPLATES CLICK HERE

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Rebel, thanks for the prompt reply. I paid using my debit card and it looks like I am going to have to go through a small claims court because even though I have shown them how they are breaching the Act, they are still refusing to accept liability.

• 7 months later...

Hello,

We are having the same problem. The mattress dipped, the FIRA inspector finding nothing wrong with it, etc... I have seen other people online reporting the same problem. The Guardian online consumer champion recommends Furniture Ombudsman.

When I initially ordered my mattress over a year and a half ago, I was delighted. The mattress came promptly and seemed to be of good quality (Silent Night). However, after a few months there was extreme subsidence in the mattress and this lead to severe dipping and springs poking up through the bed.

I reported this and was asked to send in photographs of the issues. I did so and Mattressman agreed there was an issue and sent me a replacement mattress very quickly - again, I was satisfied as these things can happen.

Not three weeks later the same issue arose and rather than wait I reported it straight away as it seemed that the line of mattresses was faulty as it seemed unlikely that 2 separate mattresses would have the same fault. I was told I had to wait 3 months to allow for a "settling period" where Mattressman clearly expected the springs to magically fix themselves and strengthen up. I waited a few months and then again, I was asked to forward photos as evidence and again I did so, showing the exact same issues as before.

This time though, I was informed that Silent Night saw no fault and as such I would not get a replacement. I could pay £75 for an independent inspection though, if I wanted to prove a fault. I didn't see why I I asked for a refund and was refused this as there was no fault. When I wouldn't accept this, I was then told there was a fault but it was that I clearly sat in the edge of the bed and this is what caused the entire mattress to subside, but as a goodwill gesture, not an acceptance of fault, I would be permitted to spend my initial purchase price and add some more to it to buy another more expensive mattress but only from the Silent Night range. Basically I was being told where to spend my money and as a good will gesture they would even allow me to spend more of my money. Wasn't that good of them?

If you buy a Sony TV from Dixons and bring it back faulty, you are not told you can only buy a more expensive Sony TV - you can spend what you like on any range from that shop.

I sent relevant extracts from the Sale of Goods Act 1979 showing that they were in breach of the criteria and highlighting the section that showed that the SELLER must bear the costs of proving the fault and all costs relating to it. I was then told that the director of Mattressman was happy with how the issue was handled and that I would not be dealt with again unless I agreed to pay the £75 inspection fee. Although this would be refunded if a fault was proven, I simply do not have it to spare and I found that Mattressman were far less helpful than I would have liked, given that I was initially happy with the service like most other people.

How can I go about getting a refund without paying the £75?

Hello,

We are having the same problem. The mattress dipped, the FIRA inspector finding nothing wrong with it, etc... I have seen other people online reporting the same problem. The Guardian online consumer champion recommends Furniture Ombudsman.

Hi Janab,

sadly, after months of hassle, I accepted that I would have to pay an extra £30 to get a higher quality mattress or risk losing my initial outlay. The manager responded by saying that he was satisfied with how my query was dealt with and stuck with his offer. I opted for a Pocket Sprung mattress as the two Miracoil ones were clearly dodgy.

Since I received this, I have had no issue - the mattress is fine and still in tact, and in my mind that proves beyond all doubt that the previous two were of poor quality. It would have cost me more to pay for the inspection, and from what you say it appears that it is not independednt at all, assuming your mattress was as badly dipped as mine.

It still grates me today that they effectively got away with this but all I can do is bad mouth them on every forum I can found.

I appreciate your link to the Furniture Ombudsman and I may drop them a line anyway.