style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am an international student staying in UK for brief periods of 4-5 months every year. I unfortunately have a debt I owe O2 of 493£ from 3 years ago. I am in a bad shape now and am leading a hand to mouth existence.

I recieved an e-mail recently from Lowell, offering me a settlement plan of a one time 290£. I was in my home country then and wrote back to them saying I may not come back to UK but would still settle for 150£ which is all i had in my UK account. They never responded to it.

I am now in UK for a couple of months and I received a letter from RED asking for full payment or repayment option. I ignored it and have received a second letter now warning legal action.

I am sorry about it but I dont have the money to pay them currently. I am going back to my home country for 4 months and am off next week. I will come back later in the year and will move in to a new address. Will they find me again and how do they do it?

Also, will it show up on my Visa or when I return to the country, will I be quizzed by immigration? (sounds unlikely but am worried)

Finally, can I hold on by evading them till I am ready to pay them? What wll be their future course of action?

Please advice.

Ed

ignore

they have no legal powers at all.

they cannot arrest mark your visa or anything of the sort

debt s in this country are NOT a crimial offence

FORGET ALL ABOUT IT

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks Dx! That's reassuring.

Also, I wanted to ask anyone 'Is there any way I can reduce my debt and pay it off in monthly installments I can afford?' I don't want to deal with RED as they are notoriously unhelpful is what I have found all across the web. Can I contact any free service who will negotiate on my behalf?

Red are part of the Lowell group.

You only have to pay them at a rate which you can afford even if that's a few pounds per month. They are unlikely to apply for a CCJ if you come to an arrangement with them. Even if they did obtain a CCJ a judge would look at your circumstances and make a repayment order which would reflect them.

Just email them and tell them you are willing to pay X amount per month & then set up a Standing Order (not a Direct Debit). Their bank details should be on the reverse of their letter. It should give their sort code, a/c number. The reference number for your a/c on their letter is the only other thing you need to set up a Standing Order.