Taking Children to Small Claims Court

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2036 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know that you can not take a child (i.e Person under 18 years of age) to court via Small Claims Court.

However, I am wondering if its possible to take the parents of children to court?? Basically the case is one where I provided a service to a person who was 17 years of age and didnt pay for it....

Am I able to take the parents of the 17 year old to court even though they were not part of the transaction?

I know that you can not take a child (i.e Person under 18 years of age) to court via Small Claims Court.

However, I am wondering if its possible to take the parents of children to court?? Basically the case is one where I provided a service to a person who was 17 years of age and didnt pay for it....

Am I able to take the parents of the 17 year old to court even though they were not part of the transaction?

Short answer is no.

Hi sherlock and welcome to CAG.

I have moved your thread to the Legal forum where the guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available

The justice system in this country is a arse it needs a massive injection of Common Sense!!!

You can take the minor to coulrt through his parents if the contract is enforceable.

What was the service?

If it was "necessary" or related to his edutaction or training then you could sue him for payment.

The claim would be

Between

you

and

XXX (a minor) by his parents XXXXXX

Hi Ganny

Just for my own notes....is this because in law, persons under 18 do not have contractual capacity?

Thanks

ims

The question was can the OP sue the parents. The answer was no as they were not party to the contract.

While anyone under 18 cannot sue by themselves (except for wages), they can be sued. If your defendant is a child (i.e. under 18), you should specify this as follows: 'NAME XXXXX, a child by [insert name of parent currently responsible for them] ... their litigation friend'.

It would be wise to check whether the parents have legal responsibility for the acts or debts of the child. If they do, they should also be named as defendants.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andy,

When I first research this, I came across the method you just described...but wasnt sure how accurate or easy this was to do in practice.

How would I check if they have legal resposibility? I know the defendant still lives at home with her parents if that makes a difference?

Thnaks,

James

That would depend on what history you retain and why you are suing.Was there a contract? How did you validate her request for your services?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Would the emails constitute an agreement? Have you tried invoicing the Parents? Consider if legal action would be justified for the costs and work involved? If so you need to consider preparing a Letter before Action after invoicing has failed.

Regards

Andy

hi andy, i think the emails would specify an agreement..they specify the terms of the service and payment being required on the day of shoot...I have already make a claim through Small Claim Court but if was rejected on the grounds of her age so I may try and issue another claim addessing it to her parents...A problem I have had before is that some times when you take a person to court and a ruling is made in the claimants favour that the defendant still doesnt pay...and for smaller amounts its not cost effective to pay for bailiffs....

Quite... Try a reissue, I'm sure the parents wont want a CCJ for the sake of the amount involved.

Regards

Andy

Ganymede is absolutely right!

You cannot sue the parents under the contract you have with a minor because they are NOT guarantors.

To do so would leave you liable for a huge costs application because as soon as that claim is lodged, a strike out application or even summary judgment could be filed before allocation thus reneging fixed costs.

You have two options, file a claim against the minor (not using MCOL) and argue that the service you provided is defined as “necessaries" OR wait until the minor reaches age (s. 1 of the Family Law Reform Act 1969 reduced the age from 21 at common law to 18) and ensure that they ratify the contract made by them during their minority, then it will be binding on them. Ratification can be express or implied.

If the minor repudiates the contract whilst they are still a minor or shortly after reaching majority, you have no recourse but you may try but you have been forewarned about suing the parents.

Please seek professional legal advice before you lodge a claim as it may be the best thing you ever did.

My understanding is that you can enter a contract with a moinor but it is only enforceable by the monor, in the case of goods received (photos) you can claim them back, but unless the minor agrees or makes acknowledgement of the contract again once they are 18 it is unenforceable. parents cannot be held liable if they were unaware of the contract.

Just a thought though did you know the person was under 18 when you agreed the photo shoot? and if you knew they were under 18 did you get the parents permission ? also why didnt you ask for payment before taking the photos?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

In England and Wales under 18's do not have the capacity to enter into contracts aside from those arising from neccesity. In Scotland this is from 16 years of age.

A minor will be liable for a contract for the sale of necessaries

Necessaries – Shelter, food,clothing, also anything which is essential and suited to the minors position in life

Sale of Goods Act s3(3)defines necessaries as, ‘goods suitable to the condition in life of the minor and to his actual requirements at the time of sale and delivery’.

Minors Contract Act 1987

This act was introduced to protect minors, and provide guarantees, when involved in contracts with adults. Section 2 and 3 of the act outline rules with minors and contracts.

In Section 2, a contract would be enforced against the adult where the adult provides a guarantee against the agreement made by the minor. Therefore, if a minor breaches the contract, the adult would be responsible.

In Section 3, a court can have, for example, non-necessaries, property or property representing it returned, if the minor refuses to pay.

This is copied from a post where i provided the response to a threat to a minor to instigate legal proceedings... in over 30 cases this is 100% sucessful, usually airtime / service but works for all other.

This

To A Company

I refer to your letter dated xx/xx/xx.

Please be aware that the alleged debt arose at the time I was xx years of age. As you will be aware, I lacked capacity under contract law at that time to enter into contractual obligations with your client.

I therefore assert that no debt nor legal claim exists. Should you disagree I am happy to seek repudiation on any contract that you or your client allege exists.

Please note under common law I revoke the right of access to your doorstep collectorslink3.gif.

Regards

Me

Unless the parents / guardians were joined in the contract then the minors act will provide a 100% defense.

N

Unless the parents / guardians were joined in the contract then the minors act will provide a 100% defense.

N

[/left]

Unless the minor re-affirms the contract when they reach majority and have not repudiated the contract in the first place.

Unless the minor re-affirms the contract when they reach majority and have not repudiated the contract in the first place.

Absolutely - if they were trying to avoid paying the debt, then they would not!! - I KNOW THIS IS DEBT AVOIDANCE please no flaming!

Hi assited Blond, I think the parents were unaware or atleast this is what they would say..I didnt get the parents permission....We asked her to arrive with a parent but she came with a friend instead (also under 18)....We did take a deposit of £50 before the shoot which she paid for online... thinking of about this,

maybe the payment came from the parents i.e. can you have a visa card if you are under 18?? If her parents made the payment I dont know if this means the parents were aware of the shoot.....